A Pacific Northwest Hunting Resource
Photo of the Month
News Feeds From Various Sources
: MagpieRSS: Failed to fetch http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/newsrss.php (HTTP Response: HTTP/1.1 302 Found ) in
Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks :: Hunting News (RSS)
South central Montana hunter numbers down, harvest mixed
- The weekend’s weather provided hunters with mixed opportunities in south central Montana over the weekend. Conditions varied from snowy to windy to cold depending on what part of the region a hunter visited. Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks saw an overall decline from last year in numbers of hunters who stopped at its check stations and the number of harvested animals they reported.
General Hunting Season Down to Final Week
- Kalispell, MT — The big-game hunting season is down to the final days across Montana.
Hunter Harvest Keeps Pace Across West-Central Montana
- Hunter harvests of elk and deer in west-central Montana kept pace with last year at the close of the fourth week of the general big game hunting season.
Hunter success dips at Week 3 check stations in Region 7
- Hunter success dipped at check stations in Hysham and Ashland on Sunday, but hunters were still happy and encountering wildlife.
Deer in Blaine County test positive for CWD
- Test results from three deer harvested in Blaine County have tested positive for chronic wasting disease.
Colder temperatures and snow improve elk movement and hunter success
- Variable weather across southwest Montana brought snow to higher elevations. Colder temperatures contributed to higher elk movement and improved tracking. With mild temperatures state-wide until this past weekend, hunters waited for improved conditions to pursue game.
Hunter Success Increasing in Northwest Montana
- Kalispell, MT — Hunters were more successful last weekend across northwest Montana as the big-game hunting season approaches its final weeks.
Hunter Harvest Steady Across West-Central Montana
- Big game harvest in west-central Montana maintained a steady pace through the fourth weekend of the general hunting season, bringing totals in line with average.
Testing confirms chronic wasting disease in deer harvested in Liberty and Carbon counties
- Second tests on tissue samples from a white-tailed buck harvested in southern Liberty County and a mule deer doe harvested within the CWD-positive area in Carbon County came back positive for chronic wasting disease. The lab at Colorado State University confirmed the tests.
Deer Season to End in Part of Region 4, CWD Check Stations Reduce Hours
- Hunters need to be aware that the deer season will soon close in four hunting districts in Fish, Wildlife and Parks Region 4.
Elk, Mule Deer Harvest Still Down, Whitetail Harvest Up Slightly on Front
- Elk and mule deer harvest on the Rocky Mountain Front continues to lag behind long-term averages, probably because of continued mild weather, a state wildlife biologist said.
Elk Harvest Remains Slow Amid Mild Tempuratures, Slow Migration
- Elk Harvest Remains Slow Amid Mild Temperatures, Slow Migration
South central Montana check stations see more hunters, lower harvest than in 2017
- The number of hunters who stopped at Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks’ check station in south central Montana over the weekend was up sharply from a year ago. But the measured harvest of deer and elk was down.
Whitetail Deer, Elk Harvests Remain Slow in Northwest Montana
- Kalispell, MT — Mild weather conditions continue to hamper hunter success across northwest Montana.
Hunting Season Picks up Pace Across West-Central Montana
- Hunter activity and harvest picked up in the third weekend of the general big game season in west-central Montana.
FWP and City of Missoula Issue Reminder that Hunting is not Allowed on Mount Jumbo City Lands
- Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks and the City of Missoula issued a reminder this week that rifle or archery hunting is not allowed on city-owned conservation lands on Mount Jumbo.
CWD samples from regions 4 and 5 come back suspect
- A white-tailed buck harvested in southern Liberty County was found to be suspect for chronic wasting disease.
Second weekend sees lower harvest, reminder for hunters to be bear aware
- Mild temperatures in Southwestern Montana challenged hunters and kept harvest numbers below the long-term average in most areas.
Mild Weather Keeps Hunter Activity and Harvest Down Across Western Montana
- Continued mild weather contributed to lower than usual hunter activity and harvest through the second weekend of hunting season in western Montana.
Weather challenges south central Montana hunters for a second weekend
- Mild weather continued to influence hunter numbers and harvest success for a second weekend in south central Montana. Biologists who staffed five Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks check stations in the region said hunters reported challenging conditions thanks to warm temperatures, sunshine and manageable winds.
Game Check Stations Track Hunting Season Harvests
- Kalispell, MT — Big game check station results indicate a slower than average start to hunting season in northwest Montana (Region 1).
Black bear season to close in bear management unit 700
- By order of the Montana Fish & Wildlife Commission, the hunting of all black bears in Bear Management Unit 700 will close one-half hour after sunset on Monday, October 29, 2018.
Partnerships Help Distribute Bear Spray in Upper Clark Fork
- Some Upper Clark Fork hunters will receive a can of free bear spray this fall, thanks to local partnerships aimed at spreading the word on bear safety and reducing conflicts.
Opening weekend in Region 3 draws fewer hunters, higher harvest
- In Region 3, the general deer and elk season opened on Saturday with fewer hunters venturing out over the weekend in the warm, sunny weather.
Season opener brings balmy weather, but hunters still successful
- Hunters coming out for Saturday’s big game opener in Southeastern Montana were met with almost balmy conditions, but that didn’t stop them from enjoying the experience and harvesting a fair amount of game.
: MagpieRSS: Failed to fetch http://capwiz.com/gunowners/RSS/ (HTTP Response: HTTP/1.0 302 Found ) in