collapse
A Hunting Trip of a lifetime in the Wenaha Tucannon Wilderness! Order Jason Phelps Calls Here

Author Topic: Cle Elum Owens meats  (Read 47876 times)

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
Re: Cle Elum Owens meats
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
Darn nice post Don.   :tup:  Running a small business is difficult and your attitude is excellent.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline 6x6in6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
Yes, great post and offer Don.
You need to keep the store open later.  So many times I come thru town to and fro and it's beyond closing hours.  I need my fix of pep and land but I have I to go home empty handed because I choose not to visit brand x down the street.   :chuckle:
Keep up the good work!   :tup:

Offline Don Owens

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »
Thanks to all three of you for your posts!  Regarding "extended hours"! We have changed the store hours. The retail store hours are now Mon.-Sat. 8:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. The game processing hours are 8-5 Monday through Saturday. No game pick up on Sunday but we will take game animals in on Sunday with prior arrangements, just call the store @ 509-674-2530.  Thank you again for your patronage, Don Owens

Offline dupedc

• Hardcore Hunting
  • Hunter
  • Good Times!
    • Gig Harbor Chiropractor
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I dropped off my elk on Sunday afternoon. The guys at the processing plant were super friendly and helpful. This is my first time using Owens to process one of my animals, but they come highly recommended by a good friend of mine. If my elk tastes half as good as the jerky does every time I get it then I will be happy (and so will the girls at home :-)  Thanks for the great service!

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
That reminds me I have a couple of deer to pick up..... I'll be up to see you guys! Owens Meats has butchered Beef,Pigs,Deer and Elk for me and my family and they have always done a great job!

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »

Meat Processor's charging $20-$25 a day to hang an animal that they are not doing the processing on seams fair to me.  I do not consider it a rip off at all.

Meat Processors are there to make $$ and provide a specific service to there customers.  They have utilities and employees to pay.  They are there to process meat.  Lets say they have a cooler that will fit 20 Elk or 40 Deer, they charge .50 per pound to process, and that a Deer Hanging is 150lbs and an Elk is 350lbs.

They are making $75 per Deer and $175 per Elk.  So if they butcher all 20 Elk thats only $3500.  If they do all the deer it's only $3000.  That is if they are not doing any sausage or anything special.

If they were to hang a deer for 7 days that they are not doing the processing on it is taking up a spot in there cooler.  If they were charging $5 a day that is only $35.  When they could possibly have had 2 deer in that spot over the course of that 7 days and make $150.

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
good info to know. a friend just had some meat (elk) processed at Fisher meats in Issaquah , ill let ya know how it turns out.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
Good morning Teanaway Slayer. I couldn't help but notice a post you've made on the Washington hunting forum. It would be great if you could stop by, we would love the opportunity for you to meet us and become familiar with our way of doing business. We are in the middle of the game season and it would be the perfect time for you to see the operation in the busiest time, so that you can form and educated opinion of how we do business. We just figure that when you see how we actually perform our job and see the pride and our procedure's you might be more apt to post a positive post rather than the negative posts that seem to be based on others opinions or here say. Thanks for the time, Don and Doug 509-674-2530  P.S. We have spent our whole life in this business and it is our "life" and we pride our selves in the hones loyal way we do business. It is so easy for business's to get a bad reputation with all the social media outlets of today. Please allow yourself to be an informed member of "Hunting Washington forum". When you come in we will be happy to give you many many numbers to random customers that will be able to give you unbiased opinions of our work.  Thanks again
I am not interested in coming and seeing your operation.  Thanks for the offer, That was mighty white of you.  Owens had my business at one point in time.  What I have said regarding your place of business is my opinion. Thats what these forums are for.  Things may have changed down there over the past 10 years or so but I am not willing to bring my animals to your place ever again.  Owens had that chance and they blew it.  So if any one asks I send them else where. I work hard for my animals and like to get them back.!  I can understand your point of view of not wanting any bad blood.  So I will leave it at that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:14:26 PM by teanawayslayer »
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »

I took a deer and elk I got there. When i went to pick it up I ended up with some beef instead of my elk. They said they didnt know where mine went. I got my deer meat.  I will never use them again!

OMFG id have sued their asses for the total reimbursement for that many lbs of elk  :nono: :nono: thanks for the heads up ill never use them for sure. someone said they are members here, they should crawl in a hole and hide with all these negative comments

Offline robescc

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »
Good morning Teanaway Slayer. I couldn't help but notice a post you've made on the Washington hunting forum. It would be great if you could stop by, we would love the opportunity for you to meet us and become familiar with our way of doing business. We are in the middle of the game season and it would be the perfect time for you to see the operation in the busiest time, so that you can form and educated opinion of how we do business. We just figure that when you see how we actually perform our job and see the pride and our procedure's you might be more apt to post a positive post rather than the negative posts that seem to be based on others opinions or here say. Thanks for the time, Don and Doug 509-674-2530  P.S. We have spent our whole life in this business and it is our "life" and we pride our selves in the hones loyal way we do business. It is so easy for business's to get a bad reputation with all the social media outlets of today. Please allow yourself to be an informed member of "Hunting Washington forum". When you come in we will be happy to give you many many numbers to random customers that will be able to give you unbiased opinions of our work.  Thanks again

I understand that you need to defend yourself and I respect you for the offer you made. The point you made about social media spreading a bad review and hurting your name is week at best. I grew up 2 miles from Del Fox and they have had a bad reputation for 40 years. It has even gotten worse in the last 10 years. My "opinion" is not from here say either. It is from personal experience and my brother worked there for a short time. Most meat shops are like that. Go to John Tuss next time and you won't regret it.
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »
No one can beat John Tuss's meat! He's the only person we use for our wild game.

Offline robescc

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 07:11:38 PM »
He is on Camano. I drive from Spokane to have him make my stuff. The best around.
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline h20hunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »
Wow......discusting....harsh!
Yes, my FJ is pink, I'm all about Team Jacob, beer is not for the horses nor is whiskey for the men, they are both for me.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
Why would a butcher do crappy work when their lively hood depends on it ? I think you guys are whiners . How many times do you buy meat at Safeway and it's totally tough, stinks etc ? Give all these meat cutters a break ! 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years in business might tell you something !! Find something legit to bitch about or stay on the westside...... you whiners are discusting !
don't live on  the west side.  Just letting people know my experiences from taking meat to owens.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • Nice...............
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
Wow......discusting....harsh!

Not harsh at all. Just saying what I feel is right and needed. Harsh is cutting down a business that is older  than most likely the whiners.... I get bad reviews on my  fart smells, which are perfect !  :chuckle: :chuckle:
I could care less about what anybody says..............

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:25 PM »
Why would a butcher do crappy work when their lively hood depends on it ? I think you guys are whiners . How many times do you buy meat at Safeway and it's totally tough, stinks etc ? Give all these meat cutters a break ! 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years in business might tell you something !! Find something legit to bitch about or stay on the westside...... you whiners are discusting !

I also live on the east side and have had one bad experience with Owens as mentioned earlier.  Unfortunately it only take one time for me to be done with them.  The worst part about my experience is the did nothing to make right by it.   As a matter of fact they made excuses and then blamed me....Shame on them.  Had they made right by me....I would still use them (a simple sorry and maybe a few pounds of stew meat like I wanted with my elk).  Because they used poor judgement and couldn't do what was right, our camp will not use them.  It is really unfortuneate cause they did a fine job until that point.  I actually have a hard time not stopping in every time I pass them, which is atleast 2 times a month.  Really all they had to do was the right thing.   :'(

Offline MuleySniper

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • ridin dirty
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »

I took a deer and elk I got there. When i went to pick it up I ended up with some beef instead of my elk. They said they didnt know where mine went. I got my deer meat.  I will never use them again!

Sounds like a good trade.  :chuckle:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:On another note I stop by whenever they are open driving through for the cheese stuffed pep. Love it.
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • Nice...............
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »

Sounds like a good trade.  :chuckle:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:On another note I stop by whenever they are open driving through for the cheese stuffed pep. Love it.

Now that is the sh!t right there !
I could care less about what anybody says..............

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »

Ya that Camp.  And that KC Kracker who is asking about deer, elk, and bear jumps on Don like a arse.  Pathetic.  Like my mom once said to me probably long before Kc was even born  " if you do not have anything nice to say then....."

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Missing

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »
I have known Doug and Don for many years they have always been straight forward with people. My uncle ran a small wild game butcher shop in Cle Elum for many years that I helped at, most of you would be surprised at the condition of the animal that some hunter bring to the shop and expect the butcher to fix. One I remember brought in a cow elk that had been shot through all 4 quarters , we spent a lot of time cutting that elk because of all the blood shot and we the hunter came to pick it up he was very upset because there was only about 150# of wrapped meat. He swore we had stole half of his elk and he told everyone that would listen the same story but he neglected to tell everyone he had shot it 4 or 5 times. If you talk to any butcher that cuts a large amount of wild game the last thing they want to do is eat it let alone steal it. The point is hunters are known to tell tall tales or embellish a fair bit so do your self a favor and take them up on there offer to stop in and see for your self how they do things.

Randy Bailey 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. You choose.

Offline HHPro

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »
It's not what they do when people are watching that concerns me...

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
Then butcher your own.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline HHPro

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »
I do thanks

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
Welcome.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 11:57:01 PM »

Ya that Camp.  And that KC Kracker who is asking about deer, elk, and bear jumps on Don like a arse.  Pathetic.  Like my mom once said to me probably long before Kc was even born  " if you do not have anything nice to say then....."

no, a customer, and member, getting screwed out of his ENTIRE ELK is pathetic. end of story, sorry but no price can be put on the time, money, energy, work and the list goes on, for what he lost, if you dont get that then your no sportsmen, hunter, fisherman, or even in possession of an ounce of common sense.  :tup:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:11:29 AM by Kc_Kracker »

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics

What rain gear you use for backcountry hunt? by Elkcollector82
[Today at 11:03:46 PM]

Blacktail Rut? by fish vacuum
[Today at 10:53:42 PM]

2017 Got it done by tgomez
[Today at 10:52:29 PM]

What's he score? by tgomez
[Today at 10:43:18 PM]

3 Deer down by Mfowl
[Today at 10:39:06 PM]

Smackout pack, once targeted by WDFW, kills cow by JL
[Today at 10:32:31 PM]

I am not getting it. by JDHasty
[Today at 10:16:54 PM]

Back from Idaho, big buck down and the best shot I ever missed by Sitka_Blacktail
[Today at 10:07:46 PM]

Predator-proof pens ‘last-ditch effort’ to save Selkirk caribou by Humptulips
[Today at 10:07:02 PM]

Chewuch whitetail permit by archer0135
[Today at 10:02:54 PM]

Popular place by 2labs
[Today at 09:57:13 PM]

Green Diamond Resource Company recreational access program land question by slowhand
[Today at 09:38:08 PM]

Good Blacktail down. by Thehowler
[Today at 09:35:57 PM]

First bear ever - BIG boar down! by O. hemionus
[Today at 09:29:24 PM]

Draw points question.... by bobcat
[Today at 09:29:23 PM]

Wyoming Elk Hunt - Updated by BLH69
[Today at 09:24:24 PM]

One Down Two to go by fishnfur
[Today at 09:20:40 PM]

100 acre waterfowl lease, historic duck club in kent auburn area by mwilcox