collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyotes with an Airgun??  (Read 13136 times)

Offline BuckCommanderCam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Lover of Sports, Trucks, and The Outdoors!
  • Groups: NRA, RMF, Issaquah Sportsmen Club
Coyotes with an Airgun??
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
Hey so my buddy was telling me about how his cousin shot a coyote with his .177 caliber air rifle and droped it... Is this really possible? Has anybody else done it? Seems like quite the challenge...
I wont trust the government if they wont trust me

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Coyotes with an Airgun??
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »
Hey so my buddy was telling me about how his cousin shot a coyote with his .177 caliber air rifle and droped it... Is this really possible? Has anybody else done it? Seems like quite the challenge...

Anything is possible, but I would be skeptical. Either way, it’s inhumane to try and kill something with that underpowered a load. You’d be better off throwing rocks at it. 

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
Sure it's possible. A lady just killed a man a few days ago with a Daisy BB gun.

EVERETT -- A Lynnwood woman now stands charged with murder, accused of killing a man with an air rifle that she used to scare off rats.

Emergency crews found Dean Urness, 52, down on the ground last month. He had been shot in the chest. Urness died in the back of an ambulance before an aid crew could get him to a hospital. A copper BB was later removed from his right lung.

Michelle Davidson, 32, is accused of shooting Urness during an early morning dispute. Prosecutors on Friday charged her with second-degree murder. They allege that Davidson intended to assault Urness and as a result caused his death. She is expected to answer to the charge Monday in Snohomish County Superior Court. Davidson remained in jail on $250,000 bail.

Witnesses reported seeing Davidson with an air rifle on March 31 while her boyfriend argued with Urness. A witness said Urness fell to the ground at one point. He was moaning and bleeding from the mouth and nose. No one reported hearing a gunshot or seeing Davidson fire the air rifle, court papers said.

A homicide detective later interviewed Davidson. She told him a "pump BB gun" was left on the property and she was using it for "rodent control," according to court papers.

She said she had been holding the gun at the time of the argument, but denied firing any weapon, according to a search warrant.

Detectives located a Daisy Powerline 860 air rifle with scope inside Davidson's motor home. The gun was loaded with several copper BBs, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Francesca Yahyavi wrote.

Witnesses said problems began brewing the day before the shooting.

The slain man's girlfriend used to live on the Damson Road property and returned there, uninvited. Davidson's boyfriend, allegedly armed with a baseball bat, chased her off.

The man told police he was the caretaker there, responsible for keeping problems away. Davidson reportedly told police she and the man were in charge of clearing "all the riffraff out," court papers said. Police counted more than a dozen vehicles on the property, including motor homes and travel trailers.

Urness and his girlfriend returned to the property early March 31. Davidson's boyfriend found them sleeping in a Chevy Suburban. He threw cold water on the woman and demanded she leave.

Urness reportedly came to the woman's defense. He and the man begin to argue. Some witnesses said the men exchanged blows. Urness was unarmed. Davidson's boyfriend told police Urness head-butted him in the mouth.

He said Urness was a "usually pretty calm, passive guy." When he told Urness he wanted him to leave, he agreed to go, the man told police. He saw Urness reach out his hand toward a wall. That's when he collapsed. The man told police he didn't believe that Davidson needed to protect him, Yahyavi wrote.

Another man staying at the property told detectives he saw Davidson two to three feet away from Urness, holding a rifle. He said he saw her pump the handle. A short time later, while his back was to the commotion, he heard a thud. He turned to see Urness on the floor in the garage.

The defendant said when Urness fell to the ground, she heard him grunting. She said she turned away because she doesn't "deal with death well," court papers said. The woman stuck the gun in a closet in her motor home, where police later found it.

The first deputy on scene was told that Urness had hit his head.

Medics advised the deputy that Urness had an obvious gunshot wound. The Snohomish County medical examiner later concluded that Urness died from a BB fired by a powerful air rifle into his chest.

State Department of Health data show only one reported death from an air rifle in Washington between 2007 and 2011.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
Wow, I think we had BB gun wars with these as a child.  Just a one pump restriction.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:15:46 AM »
wow!!  and to think that as kids we used to put on thick coats and safety glasses and have bb gun wars with our little pump up bb guns.   of course we had rules that we weren't allowed to do more than 1 pump,  but once the war got heated and we got pissed at each other we would sneak in up to 4-5 pumps.   :chuckle: :chuckle:
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »
Easily possible with pellet guns now a days. There are even commercials with wild boars and coyotes dropping with .177 cal air guns  :yike:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:33:04 AM »
I saw a video of a feral hog being killed with a .177 air rifle.  I did notice that the hunter waited for the pig to look down and start eating so the pellet would hit the skull at a 90 degree angle, and not glance off.  The last issue of Predator Xtreme magazine had an article about a guy that manufactures air guns in .308 caliber.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline alex77147

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
guys you need to freshen up your knowledge on modern air guns.  yes its possible with a .177 caliber air rifle but it had to be a really close range shot and with at least the ones that advertise 1000fps but when you put a real lead pellet in it and shoot it through a chronograph it will only shoot 850-900fps.  However there are plenty of other more powerful airguns than your typical walmart break barrel, the more serious ones range from .22 caliber with power similar to a .22lr subsonic round to .50 caliber ones with power close to a muzzle loader.  I know this because i'm in to airguns, its my hobby.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:50:02 PM by alex77147 »

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
Of course it is possible. It is also illegal in Washington to hunt with air rifles.

Are you sure about that when it comes to coyotes?  Are they considered a game animal?  Seems like maybe coyotes would be legal to shoot with a pellet gun.  I wouldn't want to (I'd rather use a shotgun or rimfire or centerfire rifle) but with the right air rifle, seems like a guy could do it and be legal.  :dunno:

11. Prohibited firearms/hunting methods
    It is illegal to:
    • Hunt game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.
    • Hunt game birds with a rifle or pistol, except forest grouse.
    • Hunt game birds or game animals with anything other than a firearm, a bow and arrow, or by falconry. Bullfrogs may only be taken by angling, hand dip netting, gigging, and bow and arrow.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline KenPCPilot

• Longhunter
    • KenPCPilot
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
I is certainly possible to kill a coyote with an air rifle.  .177 is a poor choice due to low foot pound energy and under penetration.  many PCP type air rifles have high fpe.  .25 cal pellet weigh more than some .22 rimfire bullets.  Benjamin Rogue is a .357 cal PCP with enough energy to kill a deer sized.  Unfortunately liberal hug your wolf pack WDFW will never approve this type of weapon since is it almost silent
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:47:07 PM by KenPCPilot »
GO BUCKS

Offline one-eyed Ross

• SSG, USA, Ret.
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:34:56 PM »

Are you sure about that when it comes to coyotes?  Are they considered a game animal?  Seems like maybe coyotes would be legal to shoot with a pellet gun.  I wouldn't want to (I'd rather use a shotgun or rimfire or centerfire rifle) but with the right air rifle, seems like a guy could do it and be legal.  :dunno:

11. Prohibited firearms/hunting methods
    It is illegal to:
    • Hunt game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.
    • Hunt game birds with a rifle or pistol, except forest grouse.
    • Hunt game birds or game animals with anything other than a firearm, a bow and arrow, or by falconry. Bullfrogs may only be taken by angling, hand dip netting, gigging, and bow and arrow.

I'm guessing that since you need a hunting license to hunt them and they are in the regs, that yes, they would be classified as a "game" animal...but I could be wrong.
Of sorrow and sickness I've known on my way,
But I'm old and I'm nervis,
I'm cast from the Service,
And all I deserve is a shillin' a day.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:57:32 AM »
I is certainly possible to kill a coyote with an air rifle.  .177 is a poor choice due to low foot pound energy and under penetration.  many PCP type air rifles have high fpe.  .25 cal pellet weigh more than some .22 rimfire bullets.  Benjamin Rogue is a .357 cal PCP with enough energy to kill a deer sized.  Unfortunately liberal hug your wolf pack WDFW will never approve this type of weapon since is it almost silent
If you think a powerful airgun is "almost silent" you've never been around a powerful air gun!

Pre Charged Pneumatics (PCP) run 3,000 psi.  Even a small bore is much louder than you'd think.  The larger the caliber, the more volume of air dumped during each shot.  Picture the usable air in a 3,000 psi tank being dumped in 3-4 shots (large bore guns) or 20-30 shots (.25 and under).

For quiet and lethal, airguns can not compete with archery.   

Offline alex77147

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
If you think a powerful airgun is "almost silent" you've never been around a powerful air gun!

Pre Charged Pneumatics (PCP) run 3,000 psi.  Even a small bore is much louder than you'd think.  The larger the caliber, the more volume of air dumped during each shot.  Picture the usable air in a 3,000 psi tank being dumped in 3-4 shots (large bore guns) or 20-30 shots (.25 and under).

For quiet and lethal, airguns can not compete with archery.

Yes they are loud! but can be quiet, as far as I know there are no regulations for air guns as far as suppressors, I have a pcp that I built myself and without the suppressor its as loud as a .22lr, but with a suppressor its mouse fart quiet.  And the benjamin rouge in .357 has a shrouded barrel from the factory with baffles in it so it is extremely quiet. 

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
My Benjamin Marauder .22 PCP pistol has a shrouded barrel, and is real quiet.  My Benjamin Discovery .177 rifle has an unshrouded barrel and is as loud as a .22 rimfire rifle.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline alex77147

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
My Benjamin Marauder .22 PCP pistol has a shrouded barrel, and is real quiet.  My Benjamin Discovery .177 rifle has an unshrouded barrel and is as loud as a .22 rimfire rifle.

nice to hear i'm not the only one on here thats into air guns, what do you do with yours?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]