collapse
Double U Hunting Supply For all your AR 500 steel target needs and competitive shooting events!

Author Topic: Huckleberry picking  (Read 3915 times)

sisu

Huckleberry picking
« on: August 11, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
I forgot to post this from last week. My wife and the two dogs went huckleberry picking in the mountains between Chewelah and Colville. Last year we got about 3 or 4 gallons in 4 hours, this year we got one gallon :'( . The best picking was between 4650 feet and 4900 feet. Below and above the berries were very shrivled up or not there at all.

I got to see some of the fastest grasshoppers I've seen outside of California though. Nearly as fat around as my thumb with a BIG egg laying tube sticking out of their butts. We saw a ton of deer and moose sign but no bear sign, which always is a good point with Pat. She thinks she's a bear magnet.

Offline Idabooner

• Longhunter
Re: Huckleberry picking
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:01:59 PM »
That's good your wife got some berries and better yet she didn't have bear problems, three times I've seen a bear turn on a dog and Mr. dog heads for it's owner with the bear gaining every jump, these were all working stock dogs. Two times this caused a big wreck when they arrived. Just a caution, sometimes dogs are not the safest thing to be with in the woods. :dunno:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:33:26 PM »
The misses and I gave away our kids, and headed to the mountains after some lunch.  We picked 3 gallons.  Lots of berries, it was hard to quit, but both of our backs were killing us.  Getting old and out ofshape I guess.  We thought abou youIdabooner and wondered why you and your wife weren't down here.  Of course someone spotted us.  An entire frickin mountain and they have to come pick within 10 feet of me.  Then another car, then another car, then another.  5 frickin rigs.  We kept moving upstream as another group came in.  finally most gave up happy they had their berries.  We dumped out pots and grabbed anoother load.  We then looked a bit for bear, but only saw a coupe blacktails.  We went up the mountain to another oneof our patches and it was loaded, but a few had picked through a bit, but LOTS of berries.

PM sent SISU

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:44:47 AM »
....  Of course someone spotted us.  An entire frickin mountain and they have to come pick within 10 feet of me.  Then another car, then another car, then another.  5 frickin rigs....

Sounds like the elk opener...clam digging.....steelheading.....nothing worse....keep moving folks, this area is taken....get a life....
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline high country

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:50:20 AM »
It is 100% here on the east side......100% zero berries, or 100% big fatties. it seems like 4500-5000ft on the south facing slopes of the drainages that get more rain are doing well, others......not a damn thing.  I have a spot that has never let me down in 15 years and this year......well all good things must come to an end.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:56:25 AM »
I guess I just don't understand why people have to be in your space to be comfortable.  Standing in your back pocket etc.  Afraid of bears I guess.  Afraid of missing out or something :dunno:

Offline high country

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:12:07 AM »
We really don't have much trouble, my wife has a glock on her side and I have a 1911 or a 629....seems people keep their distance.

sisu

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 09:23:19 AM »
I guess I just don't understand why people have to be in your space to be comfortable.  Standing in your back pocket etc.  Afraid of bears I guess.  Afraid of missing out or something :dunno:
My wife and I plus our two little kids and two dogs were camped in a semi-secluded spot along the Denali Highway between Cantwell and Paxton. We'd been fishing, berry picking 'n' shooting ptarmagin all day and had just settled in for a nice night some small fish and other food and plain old being alone looking at the Alaska Range when this motor home pulls in. The people get out and ask if we mind if they camp next to us. I told them yes, that there was 100 miles of highway to choose from and that we would rather see them settle some where else. They got huffy and left. TS, we were alone and that is what we wanted.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Hunter
    • HuntWashingtonState.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:01:45 AM »
Opening weekend archery two years ago...

I'm parked by a tank trapped spur road.  I'm about a half mile up this 6 year old clear cut in my treestand.  Saw a bear and a bobcat early AM.  Forkie came in about 9:30.  A bunch of people started talking about 200 yrds down the clearcut... spooked the forkie.  Then the whole woods came alive with berry pickers.  They were shocked to see me packing out my tree stand, bow, and gear right through the middle of them.  Got back to my truck and there were 4 cars parked right next to me.  Amazing...  don't mind sharing the woods.. But, that was ridiculous, especially knowing that a bunch of other areas in the same vicinity held just as many Huckleberries.

Something that I've always noted.  No matter how far away you park your vehicle in the woods, or in a parking lot.  You eill inevitably have someone park next to you.  I think it is their herd mentality.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »
Went picking agin today.  I went past where we were to our smaller, higher patch.  We were picking our hearts out, and this rig pulls up, literally feet away from me and people start flyingfrom the rig.  I thought it might be bear hunters about ready to shoot me.  Sure enough, 4 people and bags start picking no less than 15 feet away.  "ARE YOU *censored*TING ME".  One of the ladies looks up.  My wife and I get into our rig and go elshwere.  We get to that spot and three rigs show up.  Church must have got out.  We picked a spot in beween.  She was cold, so stayed in the rig.  I picked another pan full.  That rig drove by, so I went back to ourspot.  >:(

Offline high country

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 08:20:31 PM »
big shotgun on yer back, I'm tellin' ya. just act a little goofy and have your gun in plain view.....works for us

Offline Alchase

• Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 11:43:33 AM »
Anyone know if the Huckleberry fields down by Mt. Adams are ripe yet? We saw a ton of bear sign there last year and wanted to go back during the season.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and gives my fingers skill for battle. PS 144.1

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 11:45:16 AM »
They probably are.  They are about a good week to almost two early this year.  It was a good thing I wasn't packing a gun, I might have used it. >:(

Offline Alchase

• Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 12:28:45 PM »
Have you hunted this area before? I saw a ton of sign there. I also came acrossed an ORV area close to there, might have been closer to mesquito lakes elk hunting last year.  I want to go back to as well, but I can't remember wich road I was on when we saw it.
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 12:52:45 PM »
I haven't.  I ran into a guy up in the patch where I was that had the year before.  He said it was pretty crowded with folks, and you had to know where you were.  One side of the patch was open for everyone and then one was reserved for the indians.  He made the remark...funny that he never saw anyone in the indian patch.

Offline Alchase

• Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 03:27:20 PM »
We saw the signs saying according to some good faith agreement back in the day, only the tribe can pick the east side (I think) of the road. When I was up there bear scat was everywhere, and they put these black plastic tarps over all the cut brush piles (not sure why they do that) and while stalking around I would catch out of the corner of my eye a black object moving next to me in the brush and the heart would start racing, LOL.
I tell you after 20 minutes of that my nerves were shot.
Pretty country though.

My rock,

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

photo

Views: 408
Posted by: huntinkid20
in: Huntinkids Photos

* Recent Topics

Re: Word Association Game by mtbeav
[Today at 02:55:59 PM]

hunting in national parks? by longwalker
[Today at 02:55:31 PM]

Bigfoot by runamuk
[Today at 02:48:46 PM]

Trail Cam Photos - Primos Ultra 35 by BOWHUNTER45
[Today at 02:44:58 PM]

legalizing mechanical broadheads in Washington by BOWHUNTER45
[Today at 02:42:51 PM]

w.t.s. 2007 yamaha wolverine quad by grousetracker
[Today at 02:37:18 PM]

Hawgzilla by JimmyHoffa
[Today at 02:30:46 PM]

Re: Chain Reaction Game by monster
[Today at 02:29:31 PM]

Split Diamond Tactical: Guessing game-Win a PRIZE by kingmountain
[Today at 02:24:53 PM]

For Sale Guns by Birdguy
[Today at 02:21:47 PM]

Surf Perch by RadSav
[Today at 02:15:50 PM]

15 Polaris Sportsman 570 by muleyslayer
[Today at 02:15:40 PM]

PHOTO OF THE MONTH - DECEMBER 2014 - FREE FOR ALL, ANY PIC! "Enter Now" by huntnphool
[Today at 02:05:03 PM]

Best Mexican Boxer Ever by RadSav
[Today at 02:04:46 PM]

any BNSF train conductors here? by turkeyfeather
[Today at 01:59:39 PM]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal