collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A  (Read 118574 times)

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
It is that time of year when  I start getting overwhelmed with emails, phone calls, Facebook messages, personal messages, etc....

So I thought I would post up a general location for you to ask any questions you may have regarding elk hunting. Anything from what I look for in a new spot, scouting, calling, packing, to cutting it up.  Not only does the forum allow the answer to be shared with everyone, more importantly it allows others to contribute with their own experience.

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
Re: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
Tagging for sure.... :chuckle:

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Jason, do you mix in some tree standing with your fall elk attack?  This will be my first year doing so (finally broke down and picked up a lightweight, fixed stand and climbing sticks) and was wondering (if you do some death from above setups), what do you look for when considering location/stand placement for wapiti?  Thanks in advance.  RJ 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
I do a lot of stand hunting for elk on the eastside.  I believe location is key.  Ive found a spot that funnels elk through the area from feeding spots at night down to daytime bedding areas.  It has 7 or 8 major trails leading to a wallow.  So it serves as a place elk want to come to and a pench point kinda.  I've called in many of the elk I've shot from that stand.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
RJ,
I don't tree stand hunt.  First because I'm not patient enough and second I'm not patient enough. My hunting style has evolved into a more aggressive get in tight and call them in the last little bit.

With that said If I was to advise on setting one up I would pick either a heavily used wallow (I don't have to guess what trail they are going to use) or a heavily used transition route between feed/bed.

I would use the wallow if there was thick or tough country to hunt and the heavily used trail when I was familiar with their bedding and feeding routine. Once the elk have been disrupted I would gravitate to Wallows.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »
Good copy Jason, thank you.  The same for me, patience is a huge issue but.... gonna give tree standing, even some ground blind aciton, a shot this year in a spot or two in WA and ID (mostly alder choked ID).  I've got a few spots similar to what you mentioned that may be potentially used for some evening sits.  Hopefully, I don't leap out of the stand and bolt into the brush when I hear the first, distant bugle :).  Thanks for your thoughts also on this topic DROCK. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline stromdiddily

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »
Tag  :tup:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake

Genius and Insanity are neighbors, and they often share sugar.

Offline EyeTooth

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »
Tag Too :tup:

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »
So where did you shoot that pig of a bull?   :chuckle:  you said to ask.  This way everyone can see the location.  :chuckle:  just joking ya! 

What an offer though!  I look forward to gaining knowledge as it's posted.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
Tagging I need all the help I can possibly get..

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
Jason,

I've been using mouth reeds for the last couple years and have gotten fairly good at it but I struggle with consistency.  I had a hard time getting any sounds out of them at first because I have a high, narrow pallet. I found that the Bugling Bull diapghram that is green in color and has the black plastic dome works best for me.  I was wondering if you make any mouth reeds that work well with a high and narrow pallet?

Thank you,

Drew
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »
What's your strategy for early season when bulls don't seem to be talking much?  When bulls aren't be vocal I try to sneak in to areas that I've seen bull sign in the past and cold call for a couple sets.  How long do you sit when cold calling?  I've made the mistake of getting up and busting bulls/elk that were coming.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »
In high pressure areas (such as Winston, Coweeman) I have found sign in reprod and bigger open timber during modern firearm. Which has the better potential for seeing Elk in the daylight and is it worth cow calling once in a while as a guy moves through, or is it better to wait until Elk are spotted and use it to help move in?
IAFF #3728

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
Drew,
High Narrow palates are tough. I offer a youth small frame that fits high in the palate. Have you tried bugling bull mini master tone top?  That should give you an even better fit than the green all star. 

Darrin,
When bulls don't seem to be talking I typically let my feet and eyes do the work. I try locating elk behind the glass and move in close. I have also found that in the month of September even though bulls may not be bugling on their own if I can get close enough most of the time I can force them to play the game.

I don't typically cold call. I "luke-warm" call. When I can smell them and see that they have been in the area recently I will call for an hour or so. I probably only use 6-8 calling sequences per hour. I also try and figure out where the elk are and combine that with wind direction (sometimes it's best to move on).

RB,
Are you talking about Rifle Season?  If so I only call when I want them to stop or to settle them down after spooking them. Other than that I don't call during rifle season.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »
Jason-
Meant to ask you this a few weeks ago and never got around to it.
We had a bull I called in last fall stop in thick timber and start raking trees. I could see the trees swaying, he came in silent and hung up. He was about 60-70 yards and we couldn't see him. This went on for 10-15 minutes and eventually he wandered off. I could cow call and he'd start raking again for a short time, then stop. Cow call again, he'd get all wadded up and tear into the tree. Eventually I stopped all together thinking maybe he'd walk out or move or something to where we could see him....nothing. I tried a wimpy sounding bugle and got nothing. Eventually the wind swirled and he busted, but he busted calmly...just kinda trotted off.  Just curious what the right thing to do "could have" been in that scenario. I know I had no clue what to do and was just throwing stuff out there to no avail. It was thick brush/timber and we were outside of that on the edge of an open meadow, and there were some cows present...we could hear them calling back and forth too.

Thanks for this thread...cool idea, and sticky'd!
-Josh
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull