collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eurasian Collared Doves for research - additional birds not needed!  (Read 46322 times)

Offline BurkeDoveResearch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
******UPDATE******
We now have a large sample of Collared Doves from WA Hunters Forum donors.  At this time we don't need any additional birds, but if you've already shot some we welcome those donations.  Thanks again for your generosity.

As evidenced by posts elsewhere on this forum, the Washington hunter community has taken a great deal of interest recently in the Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto).  This is for good reason since this invasive species, native to the Middle East and Europe, is currently exploding in numbers in Washington.  Since their numbers are still increasing exponentially, we won't know until years from now what their eventual effects, if any, might be on Mourning Doves and other native Washington species.  In the meantime, at least, they do offer a nice hunting opportunity for Washington hunters and they are an interesting case study for how an alien species invades a novel environment.

Many of you have probably visited the public exhibits at the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture in Seattle.  What many people don't know is that behind the scenes the Burke Museum also hosts important research collections of plant and animal specimens.  These collections contain archived and preserved samples of organisms collected across time and space for use by current and future generations of researchers.  In fact, the Burke Museum's ornithology collection holds tens of thousands of bird specimens, eggs, and nests from across Washington, North America, and even the world.  Many of these specimens are over 100 years old, and the collection is used daily by researchers from all around the globe to answer a wide variety of biological questions.

One thing our collection conspicuously lacks is a good sample of Eurasian Collared Doves from Washington that documents the ongoing early stages of this invasion.  A series of these specimens at the museum will enable future comparative studies of Collared Doves' invasion of Washington and across North America.

Why are we reaching out to the Washington Hunter forums?  Because Eurasian Collared Doves often occur on private property, it is difficult for us to arrange access to collect these birds ourselves.  Since Eurasian Collared Doves (but not Mourning Doves!) are legal to hunt year-round in Washington, we are hoping some of you might be willing to collect specimens and donate them to our scientific research collection at the Burke Museum.  If you already have Collared Doves in your freezer, we can gladly accept those too provided some basic requirements are met:

We need...

1. The exact date and location where each bird was collected. The name of the person who collected it.

2. The whole bird, to be frozen within 12 hours in separate zip-lock bags and labeled clearly with the above information. Birds should remain frozen, to preserve tissues for genetic sampling

It is ideal if you can transport the birds on ice to the Burke Museum in Seattle (email to arrange a drop-off), but we might also be able to drive out to you to pick them up, depending on location and quantity.

If you don't have frozen Collared Doves for us but have property where it is legal to shoot and there are lots of Collared Doves, we may be interested in arranging a visit to collect the birds ourselves depending on how many people respond.

Thanks again for considering donating your time and Collared Doves to the Burke Museum's research collection.  Please spread the word and if you think you can help us out or have any questions, please send us an email at BurkeCollaredDoves@gmail.com
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:48:17 PM by BurkeDoveResearch »

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Re: Wanted: Eurasian Collared Doves for research
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »
I look forward to following this study! Welcome aboard.  :hello:

Offline rim_runner

• Not all those who wander are lost
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:51:18 PM »
By coincidence I just saw two in central Arizona last week. I haven’t paid any attention to them until the two I just saw. I’ll be looking for them in Washington now.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
We are just south of Spokane.  How many do you need?  Might be able to trap some live ones, have not tried.  They are a problem around grain storage.  I will freeze the ones I kill.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
Are they any good to eat?
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »
Yep big doves, have eaten a few in the last two or so years. Harvested them during morning dove season. We have a bunch on our duck/goose leased area in Sequim.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Yep big doves, have eaten a few in the last two or so years. Harvested them during morning dove season. We have a bunch on our duck/goose leased area in Sequim.
Good to know. I have several living in the pine in our front yard. Might be hard to shoot them though, my wife and I really like listening to them in the morning.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline hookedonquack20

• Tracker
  • Groups: WWA, DU
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »
Their is tons around my place and they are  :drool: :drool: :drool:.
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men but Sam Colt made them equal"-From a book i read

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:41 PM »
Remember gentlemen, this is a purely scientific endevour... so they probably want specimens that aren't cut in half by a string of pellets or torn up by a retrieve.
Think... would you want to mount it?
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
Downtown Tenino is crawling with them.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline BurkeDoveResearch

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
We are just south of Spokane.  How many do you need?  Might be able to trap some live ones, have not tried.  They are a problem around grain storage.  I will freeze the ones I kill.

Some posters have brought up good points.  First, WDFW tells us that it's not legal to trap Collared Doves in Washington.  In other words, donated birds will need to be shot, not trapped.  We can also come to your property and shoot the birds ourselves if you have a lot of Collared Doves around and it's legal to shoot there.

Another poster brings up a good point that we're most interested in birds that have most of the plumage still intact.  However, we can still use birds in pretty rough shape as long as the other requirements listed in the original post are met.

We would like to collect a series of 15 to 25 Collared Doves.  Thanks for your continued interest.  Please send an email to BurkeCollaredDoves@gmail.com if you are able to help us out or have any specific questions.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »
WDFW is out there  as usual, they say one thing and then another, it's an invasive specie,there is no limit,no season and no licence requirement, yet it isn't allowed to be live trapped? My best guess is there will be a limit,a season, and a fee to shoot them in the near future,it will draw money for highways and byways in the Seattle metropolitan area.

Some posters have brought up good points.  First, WDFW tells us that it's not legal to trap Collared Doves in Washington.  In other words, donated birds will need to be shot, not trapped.  We can also come to your property and shoot the birds ourselves if you have a lot of Collared Doves around and it's legal to shoot there.

Another poster brings up a good point that we're most interested in birds that have most of the plumage still intact.  However, we can still use birds in pretty rough shape as long as the other requirements listed in the original post are met.

We would like to collect a series of 15 to 25 Collared Doves.  Thanks for your continued interest.  Please send an email to BurkeCollaredDoves@gmail.com if you are able to help us out or have any specific questions.

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »
@wildweeds..... nah man, they are classified the same as European Starlings. They are invasive, which means they impact the local wildlife drastically.
They are infact in direct compitition with Band Tailed Pidgeons. and I would assume at some point, these damn new birds will completely displace the band tails to the point of extinsion.
I don't think you'll see a hunting season for them in our lifetime
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »

Would 25 from the same place work?  I assume many would be related?

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
I have a pile of them at my driveway every morning.  I will have to break out the .410 and collect a few samples.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]