collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: 0 bear club  (Read 19462 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade
Re: 0 bear club
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Look in this stuff in autumn.

tough to find berries like that most years.
“Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.”

Offline vandeman17

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »
no bears for me but I have never seriously hunted them. My only times when I would even remotely say I was actually bear hunting was when I was hanging cameras and had my rifle because it was bear season. I will eventually get serious about getting a nice bear but not quite yet. We have a few bears on our property every year and I am confident I could kill one of them, just haven't had the desire yet.  :dunno:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Chesapeake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »
Look in this stuff in autumn.

tough to find berries like that most years.

I haven't noticed any lack of berries in my areas, but I primarily hunt the western slopes of the cascades. If memory serves that pic is from the Eastern slopes of the Cascades up near Leavenworth.
This pic is up near St. Helen's a year or so back. There was a temptingly large bear in this area, but I was elk hunting so let him walk. (I have no idea why I took pictures of berries. LOL!! Those bushes didn't look the same when I left.)

Offline pashok23

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
I left your club last year on May 15th,so glad i did that  :chuckle:

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 08:58:09 PM »

Also, I would like to once again point out that since D-Rock met me, he has not killed a bear by himself.   :dunno:  Just sayin :IBCOOL:

Another reason why this forum is interesting.   :tung:
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Life member RMEF
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
Pushing 62 and hoping this is my year. :EAT:
Why in the hell should I have to press 1 for English?
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 08:22:48 AM »
I'm a card carrying member.  :'( :bash:  Have never put in time to specifically hunt bear.  I will either screw up an elk hunt some time or get serious about it one year and put in some real effort.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 08:31:28 AM »
I really don't know how to target them down low, but when the berries are ripe up high (4 to 6000ft) start glassing.  Those high country berry eating bears taste good. 

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • www.facebook.com/Nobaitjustbears
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
Almost tagged one last night....bugger just would present a shot. Stick with it, you'll get out of the club.
Author of "No Bait Just Bears" and "The Ultimate Guide To Black Bear Hunting". Follow on Instagram: bozeandbears.

Offline skagitsteel

• Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
I left your club in 1997 when I finally got serious about getting one.  :chuckle:

1981 for me (bow).  Once the pressure is off and that first one is in the freezer they seem to come a lot easier.

I agree with that!  Way easier once you have done it.  I missed two shots because I was so nervous before I tagged one. 

Offline ridgefire

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
1 for 1 on bears for me. Went out towards sultan a few years back and saw 3 and shot one. Heard it breaking huckleberry bushes so snuck up and shot it from 30 yards with my 30-30. Have deer hunted in the same area and also saw bears but never have hunted them since killing the one. One of these years i may try getting one with my bow.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
well after a tough weekend I am still a member of the club, saw 2 cubs around noon saturday they were cute little fellers playing on a ridgetop then I heard a vocalization of some sort and they dropped into the next drainage after momma. About 45 min later I spotted a matched set of elk sheds laying halfway up the opposite ridge, committed the location to memory and planned to return on my way back to camp. After that I went a little farther and sat down to eat lunch when it decided to start raining, I donned my rain gear and quickly decided I wanted to just head back for camp, so I dove off of the ridge I was on and headed for my elk sheds. As I neared the creek bottom, fighting my way through buckbrush a large cinnamon phase bear jumped out of the buckbrush about 150 yards to my right. I gave him 2 very poor parting shots(out of breath, off hand at a running bear) and watched him round a bend. I worked my way to where I had last seen him through more buckbrush and found his tracks (about 8" long and 4" across at the toes) followed them to the last place I'd seen him and confirmed there was no blood, then decided it was time to go get my elk sheds and head back to camp. This was definitely his bedroom and main dining area both so I'm bummed that I bumped him out of it. Hopefully when I try again in 2 weeks he will be back again

Offline elkrack

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
I missed my first bear yesterday! kinda a downer :bash:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 06:59:36 AM »
Maybe a case of the nerves???  Don't beat yourself up too bad, you'll get another crack at it! 

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
I've never killed a bear. Hoping that changes this fall.

Offline elkrack

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »
Maybe a case of the nerves???  Don't beat yourself up too bad, you'll get another crack at it!

You could say there were some nerves >:(

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 01:17:38 PM »
 :hello: checking in. I wouldn't mind killing a bear but don't even put in for the tag.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a bear in the wild  :o

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »

I have witnessed a lot of misses on bear.  Especially a hunters first bear.  Few animals get the hunter as torn between anxiety, fear and excitement as does a bear.  The internet world is filled with false vibrato, nerves of steel and certified snipers where success is a given 100% of the time.  The world of reality is much more exciting and it does get the best of us all sooner or later.

I was lucky enough to kill the first bear I ever shot at.  For some odd reason the excitement didn't hit me until the arrow hit the bear.  Took me almost an hour before I felt safe to get down out of the tree.  That wasn't because I feared the bear.  It was because my legs turned to noodles, my hand strength could barely hold the bow and the shakes were dang near enough to rattle me right off the stand.  No other big game animal has done that to me with such vigor...one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Congratulations in getting yourself in position to get off a shot.  Sounds like it was worth every curse word afterward!  Your heart should be better prepared for the next one.  Good luck :tup:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline elkrack

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »

I have witnessed a lot of misses on bear.  Especially a hunters first bear.  Few animals get the hunter as torn between anxiety, fear and excitement as does a bear.  The internet world is filled with false vibrato, nerves of steel and certified snipers where success is a given 100% of the time.  The world of reality is much more exciting and it does get the best of us all sooner or later.

I was lucky enough to kill the first bear I ever shot at.  For some odd reason the excitement didn't hit me until the arrow hit the bear.  Took me almost an hour before I felt safe to get down out of the tree.  That wasn't because I feared the bear.  It was because my legs turned to noodles, my hand strength could barely hold the bow and the shakes were dang near enough to rattle me right off the stand.  No other big game animal has done that to me with such vigor...one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Congratulations in getting yourself in position to get off a shot.  Sounds like it was worth every curse word afterward!  Your heart should be better prepared for the next one.  Good luck :tup:

That is well written! Spot on. i learned a couple things for next time

Offline luvmystang67

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
Nothing to turn your legs to noodles like the first bear you shoot looking at you in the dark and blinking at 30 yards and then jumping up to run away from you (thankfully). 

Note: I stuck my nose in the bushes and considered going in after it.  Thankfully D-Rock made me wait.  It died about 10' inside of those bushes.   :yike:

The fear makes it more exciting I think.

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
My first and only bear did the "Death Bawl" and I didn't know what it meant.  I waited an hour before going to look for it and even then was scared for my life.   :chuckle:  Told my wife if she hears gunfire and me yelling to wait 10 minutes and if she didn't here from me to go for help.  I have never been so unnerved while looking for down game.   :yike: :yike:  I was crawling through the tunnels those darn things make in the brush with my 45/70 thinking there was no way to swing the rifle such tight quarters.  I now bear hunt with a 454 casual (as back up) for these recovery missions.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Talk about the adrenalin rush.  :tup:

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
I now bear hunt with a 454 casual (as back up) for these recovery missions.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

I've had to tag a few of them in those tunnels.  Makes for some real undy wetters :chuckle:  Pistol is the way to go in there.  I carried a 444 Marlin Trapper in the trees and a 1911 in the tunnels.  Both worked very well at less than 10 feet.  I hate to see animals suffer, but when the unexpected happens I love me some up close bear action.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »

The first bear I had a chance to shoot was in green water, perfect situation, saw a big bear sitting on his butt eating huckleberries.  I was prob 17 years old, had a good rest and missed it twice!  It was only about 150 yards away, I bet w bear more people miss their first chance than any animal? 

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 08:44:51 PM »
I saw earlier in the post look at the head for size which for sure do that. Bigger the ears the smaller the bear. But also look at how tall they look, a bigger older bear will have a lower belly and a younger bear will look taller. I have never hunted be a in spring but have shot 3 so far the past 5 years. Pretty much ever since I started get to more serious in my hunting and spending more time in the woods. Good luck to you all I hope you get one though! I wish the unit I hunt had a spring bear  >:(

Offline kukusya

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »

I've had to tag a few of them in those tunnels.  Makes for some real undy wetters :chuckle:  Pistol is the way to go in there.  I carried a 444 Marlin Trapper in the trees and a 1911 in the tunnels.  Both worked very well at less than 10 feet.  I hate to see animals suffer, but when the unexpected happens I love me some up close bear action.

What caliber 1911 do you use?

* Recent Topics

Notched My Multi-Season Tag This Mornin' by Mfowl
[Today at 12:11:07 AM]

Does anyone actually rinse their deer with a hose after it has been skinned?WHY? by cbond3318
[Yesterday at 11:43:49 PM]

Son's first buck and unique shooting style by cbond3318
[Yesterday at 11:42:30 PM]

Buck Down by Blacktail Sniper
[Yesterday at 11:41:16 PM]

Season is over too soon by Blacktail Sniper
[Yesterday at 11:33:07 PM]

What gun for bear, for wife? by Blacktail Sniper
[Yesterday at 11:27:52 PM]

Subaru head gasket and timing belt questions by floatinghat
[Yesterday at 11:21:34 PM]

Coyote or wolf track by Okanagan
[Yesterday at 11:09:59 PM]

Nooksack bull down and Congratulations wifey! by Piscatory_5
[Yesterday at 11:08:05 PM]

Should 209 primers be legal? by floatinghat
[Yesterday at 11:06:11 PM]

First bear ever! Alpine by Smokepole
[Yesterday at 10:41:52 PM]

Age 10 Girl Proudly Kills 220-Pound Black Bear. Mom Fires Back at Haters After B by mfswallace
[Yesterday at 10:37:35 PM]

the coming storm??? by lokidog
[Yesterday at 10:36:34 PM]

Goose Prairie Bull Elk Hunt by Naches Sportsman
[Yesterday at 10:29:11 PM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by Tbar
[Yesterday at 10:25:27 PM]

Wapiti Wednesday by pd
[Yesterday at 10:24:38 PM]

As They Lay 2017 by lokidog
[Yesterday at 10:10:23 PM]

Venison ribs on the traeger? by lokidog