Author Topic: Capon  (Read 12595 times)

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
Capon
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »
So my dad hates raising cornish x chicks.  And I don't like eating old tough chicken so I did some looking into this.  I have cut a lot of animals but after watching some youtube vids I don't know if I can do this.   Anyone ever casterated any chickens?  How hard is it to do?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:14:38 PM by Bigshooter »
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
Re: Capon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:52:21 AM »
I have not done this but backyardchickensdotcom has a lot of threads with pictures on this. 
Most of them are cutting both sides.  This one does it all through one incision - 
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675898/graphic-pics-of-my-day-learning-to-caponize
Wiping the area with alcohol to highlight blood vessels was an interesting tip.

Here's a study on caponizing pheasants.  The write up on the procedure may be helpful.  Interesting.
http://www.vef.unizg.hr/vetarhiv/papers/2006-76-7-24.pdf

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »
Thanks for posting the links.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
BTW- I agree with your Dad.  While it's an amazing breed, dealing with 6-9 week old cornishX is a real PITA.  If I were to do it again, I'd slaughter the lot at 5-1/2 weeks.  Cut them before the real crappy crap begins!

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:42:31 AM »
Start with dead chickens for practice.  I did 70 RIR cockerels a few years ago and only lost one.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »
Start with dead chickens for practice.  I did 70 RIR cockerels a few years ago and only lost one.

When you did the 70 was that your first time ever doing it?  Also did you buy a capon kit?  If so where from?

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:31 AM »

When you did the 70 was that your first time ever doing it?  Also did you buy a capon kit?  If so where from?

I didn't buy a kit.  I used a scalpel, alcohol and a small copper tube with safety wire that looked like a miniature catch-pole.  This is to grab the target with and remove from the cavity before slicing it free.

There are kits that are available from some place in China.  I believe you have to be in contact with them directly for payment etc.  Could be a gamble  :dunno:

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »
Still scared to try doing this.  But still want to do it.  Anyone else ever try?

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 07:30:35 AM »
Still scared to try doing this.  But still want to do it.  Anyone else ever try?

Unfortunately there is not much of an opportunity to learn beyond just grabbing one up and giving it heck. Just make sure they are young when you do it before blood vessels grow large. You will be surprised how little they bleed when you swab the area with alcohol (cools the skin and discourages blood flow)

Offline skipjack

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
Have you ever considered a different breed to see if you like the meat better? I raise freedom rangers... Takes an extra week or two but they forage and are active.. Don't think I could casterate a bird. I read somewhere that after slaughter package and leave on ice for 24 hours before freezing and the meat won't be tough.

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 07:46:41 AM »
Have you ever considered a different breed to see if you like the meat better? I raise freedom rangers... Takes an extra week or two but they forage and are active.. Don't think I could casterate a bird. I read somewhere that after slaughter package and leave on ice for 24 hours before freezing and the meat won't be tough.

Raised freedom rangers last year was really disappointed with them.

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 08:18:34 AM »

Unfortunately there is not much of an opportunity to learn beyond just grabbing one up and giving it heck. Just make sure they are young when you do it before blood vessels grow large. You will be surprised how little they bleed when you swab the area with alcohol (cools the skin and discourages blood flow)

That's what i'm going to do.  No way around it.  Should have some chicks in 4 weeks.  Then going to cut them at 4 weeks old.  I'll post how it went when i'm done.

Offline skipjack

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 08:24:35 AM »
What did you dislike about the freedom rangers? I'm pretty new to the chicken thing only been doing it a few years.. What other kind are better? I have been wanting to try others to learn more about it. I use chicken tractors that I move everyday.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »
What did you dislike about the freedom rangers? I'm pretty new to the chicken thing only been doing it a few years.. What other kind are better? I have been wanting to try others to learn more about it. I use chicken tractors that I move everyday.

Probably carcass size and it is tougher to process them because they are older and tougher. Freedom Rangers are fine if you have a huge, safe area with sufficient food.

Tractors are good for getting the extra vitamins/niacin and greens but they won't find sufficient forage, bugs etc to offset food costs.

All in your preference  :tup:

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »

Carcass size sucks.  We butchered 25 last year at 16 weeks old and averaged less than 4lbs per chicken.  I have some Delaware male chicks coming.  Going to cut some but not all of them so we can see the difference in size.  I have read a lot of good stuff about Delaware capons and also Nake Neck capons.  Plus both are known for being decent meat chickens.  I will post up a review later this year on how all of this goes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter