collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to bows  (Read 7296 times)

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
New to bows
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:09 PM »
Hi, :hello:
I am about half way to buying a Quest compound bow. I have only shot a recurve bow once at a fair and no one in my family knows about compound bows.
So any advice about maintenance, how to pick the right arrows, supplies needed, ect. Would be greatly appreciated! But my main question is how do I test what the bows weight is set at? How do I change the weight? And is Quest a good brand or is Bear archery better? Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:49:53 PM by police women of America »
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
Re: New to bows
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:09:33 AM »
Go test shoot and the better fit (bow hand) & smoothest draw wins there is a free pdf called the nuts & bolts of archery then read through the little things in the bowhunting forum on here. Look into savora broadheads for arrows I perfer goldtip but everyone has their preference. Good luck   

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:04:01 AM »
All the major bow makers make good bows PSE,Hoyt,Bowtech, Mathews,Bear,Prime and Elite. I would go to a proshop and shoot bows to see what you like and they can answer any questions you might have

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:09:26 AM »
I will add a +1 to what everyone has said so far.  Hit Sportco, Cabellas, Sportmans as well as Rock creek, or other bow shops and try out the bows they have.  Give them an idea of your budget and desired use.

Nothing beats shooting as many bows as you can before you buy anything.  Even being inexperienced you will feel some differences in how bows shoot as well as what works for you.  No single "best bow", what works is different for each person, and getting a bow setup and tuned to you by a shop is important.  They will also guide you on arrow and release selection and be able to tune the bow to those selections, often for free when you buy everything at once.

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
Thanks guys!
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
You change the weight by the screw that holds the limbs to the riser. One full turn clockwise will be plus 2 pounds, and if you go the opposite way its negative two pounds. Just remember to tighten or loosen the screws evenly on both ends. Most compound bows have a range between 10 to 20 lbs draw weight difference.  For instance 50-60 or 50-70 pounds. Keep bow at comfortable draw for you that you can pull sitting down, or freezing cold. Remember it is suppose to be FUN and not a CHORE to draw and shoot. I recommend Easton Axis arrows, and trophy taker fall away style arrow rest. Keep your string waxed and practice as much as possible.  I tell every beginning bow hunter to try atleast one 3D animal shoot before head off for game, as it will help you guess yardage and improve your accuracy tremendously. And once you have your target points hitting where you want them, make sure to sight in with the same broadheads you will be using for your hunt. GOOD LUCK archery hunting is a blast and will improve your hunting skills. :tup:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
Check out Sportsmans Warehouse Vital Impact arrows.  They are made by GoldTip for Sportmans, and are a great bang for the buck.  They just increased the spine ratings they offer this year (300, 340, 400, 500, 600 I think).  A nice quality GoldTip arrow for a very economical price to get you started.  I have found them to shoot quite well for me so far.

Not being GoldTip branded allows Sportsman's to set any price they wish and they choose to sell them economically..  $37/6arrows with vanes, nock, inserts. 
Vital Impact

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
You change the weight by the screw that holds the limbs to the riser. One full turn clockwise will be plus 2 pounds, and if you go the opposite way its negative two pounds. Just remember to tighten or loosen the screws evenly on both ends. Most compound bows have a range between 10 to 20 lbs draw weight difference.  For instance 50-60 or 50-70 pounds. Keep bow at comfortable draw for you that you can pull sitting down, or freezing cold. Remember it is suppose to be FUN and not a CHORE to draw and shoot. I recommend Easton Axis arrows, and trophy taker fall away style arrow rest. Keep your string waxed and practice as much as possible.  I tell every beginning bow hunter to try atleast one 3D animal shoot before head off for game, as it will help you guess yardage and improve your accuracy tremendously. And once you have your target points hitting where you want them, make sure to sight in with the same broadheads you will be using for your hunt. GOOD LUCK archery hunting is a blast and will improve your hunting skills. :tup:

Is there a website for archery hunters that list the Summer dates for 3D shoots?

I have never participated in one of these events. I think it would help me tremendously. I live on the Westside, but willing to travel East.

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
I know silver bowmens club up by Mt. Vernon has a 3d course no need to wait on a particular shoot 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
The washington state archery association has a list of shoots all over the state. There are not as many shoots during the summer because traditionally they dont get as much attendance.  SAB has a 50 target walk though course shooting @targets on compressed hay backstops. Costs $2per person a day as much shooting as you can handle including flat range. Open every day during daylight hours self serve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »
Thanks!
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:28:49 AM »
GameHunter1959- look up Evergreen Archery on the web, from there should be able to find a contact number for the club. I know we usually have atleast three shoots/tournaments a year, and a summer leauge 3D shoot till last week in August. It really does improve your accuracy and confidence. If you do them enough it will also extend your maximum range a good 20 yards! You should be able to find shoots closer to you in a more local club on the west side, but Evergreen welcomes you with open arms if not. GOOD HUNTING! :tup:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 01:10:33 AM »
Quest stuff is rather nice for most archers.  Nothing fancy/Nothing bad.  But it sounds to me as though a visit to a premier archery proshop would really be beneficial to you.  We have some real good ones around!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 02:35:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great insight. I am eager to get out there and learn.

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 12:32:15 AM »
Keep in mind that you don't have to buy the top of the line $800 to $1000 bow. The mid range bows are more forgiving, and accurate  , And your arrow doesn't need to go super Speeds to harvest a elk. It's about arrow weight , shooting distance , and shot placement. Like the guys say don't be rushed to buy a bow shoot lots of different bows. Compare how much they weigh how much noise they make when shot , some bows are rather heavy. Check out archery talk forum. Lots of Good specific talk about all the main brands. While you are trying different bows check reviews on those that you like
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:42:52 AM by 4fletch »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU