collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Update: Help for Okanogan Mule Deer  (Read 39982 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Update: Help for Okanogan Mule Deer
« on: September 06, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
This spring we held auctions on the forum and raised money to help the mule deer ravaged by wildfire in Okanogan County last year. All funds received from the auctions is in the WFW Paypal and Chase Bank accounts. Unfortunately this summer's fires have added to the wildfire devastation so the help we provide no doubt will help our herds.

Fall plantings are the most successful so the plan has been to put this money to use this fall. I have been told by Dan at the Mule Deer Foundation (he goes by MuleDeer here on the forum) that there are some projects coming up this fall and we will be able to put the money raised and the bitterbrush plants that were donated, to good use soon.

Here's the topic listing those who volunteered to help this fall, I'm hoping everyone is still willing to help plant and if any additional persons would like to help please post in this topic so you can be added to the contact list and contacted when help is needed:
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,169761.0.html

Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
Re: Update: Help for Okanogan Mule Deer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »
This is the listing of auctions that were done and a list of items I still have available for fundraising efforts.

Mule Deer Auctions
Auction...Price.....Buyer..............Payment...Item Status...Item Description...
1...........$250.....Rainier10...............Check.......Received......Rainshadow Knife
2...........$200.....50CalJim...............Check.......Received......Elknut Outdoors Vortex bino's
3...........$175.....Jacque..................Check.......Received......Phelps Game Calls EZ Estrus Elk Call
4...........$150.....Southpole..............Check.......Received.....Phelps Game Calls EZ Estrus Elk Call #2
5...........$100.....Boss .300 winmag...Paypal.......Received......Extreme Elk Magazine
6...........$165.....jrebel....................Paypal......Received......EVO Outdoors Tenzing weapon case
7...........$125.....mtncook................Paypal......Received......Bearpaw Outfitters Hunting Books
8...........$350.....ELKBURGER...........Check.......Organized....Western Life Outfitters Trail Ride
9...........$100.....vandeman17...........Paypal......Received......OnxMAPS GPS Chip
10.........$170.....Gringo31................Check......Organized....Nature's Way Taxidermy Euro mount
11.........$  70.....go4steelhd.............Paypal.......Received......Elknut Outdoors DVD's
12.........$210.....bearpaw.................Check.......Ordered.......Hayden Lambson art "The Ladies Man"
13.........$  60.....Fastass350.............Paypal......Sent...........Shot Glass, Cocktail Glass (missing), Beer Tankard
14.........$  55.....Fastass350.............Paypal......Sent...........Bino System, Black Logo Hat
15.........$  70.....Fastass350.............Paypal......Sent...........Travel Mug, Coffee Mug (missing)
16.........$  25.....Pygmy...................Paypal......Sent...........Tin Mule Deer Sign
17.........$200.....Rainier10................Check......Ordered.......Hayden Lambson art "A Breath of Glory"
18.........$250.....GUscottie...............Paypal......Ordered.......Hayden Lambson art "The Bachelor's Pad"
19.........$100.....Southpole..............Check.......Sent...........MDF Bag, MDF Black Logo Hat
20.........$105.....Orion88.................Check.......Received......OnxMAPS GPS Chip #2
21.........$205.....go4steelhd.............Paypal.......Sent...........MDF Cap, XXL Shirt, phone app
22.........$  65.....Romulus1297..........Check.......Received......Handmade Broom
23.........$105.....Grundy53...............Paypal......Messaged.....Choice: MDF mug, glass, or cap
Sale.......$450.....MtnMuley...............Check.......Ordered.......The Bachelor’s Pad - A Breath of Glory
Sale.......$  40.....jackelope..............................Received......OnxMAPS Phone App

Bitterbrush Plants to be Shipped in the Fall
On behalf of Go4steelhd……250 to the Methow Planting Team
On behalf of Grundy53………250 to the Methow Planting Team

Remaining Items To Sell or Auction
4500...Bitterbrush Plants
6........OnxMAPS Phone Apps
1........Mule Deer Horn Earings
1........Mule Deer Necklace & Earings
4........Mule Deer Playing Cards
6........MDF Key Rings
5........MDF Baseball Caps
5........MDF Coffee Mug
1........MDF Frosted Shot Glass
1........MDF Frosted Beer Tankard
5........MDF Frosted Glass
24.......MDF Drinking Glass
12.......MDF Wine Glass
1........Set of 4 Stone Mule Deer Coasters
6........MDF Window Decal
1........Set of 3 MDF Golf Balls
8........MDF Tall Beer Glass
1........MDF License Plate Holder
1........MDF Black T-Shirt XXL
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Brad Harshman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 01:21:10 PM »
Please add me to the volunteer contact list.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »
Please add me to the volunteer contact list.

Done!  Thanks much! :tup:

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
The Winthrop Chapter of the Mule Deer Foundation is spending $5,000 that was raised last November to purchase 180 pounds of bitterbrush seed for planting this fall and next spring.  If that is something WFW would like to match any funds with, let me know and I will get you in touch with the right guys.
Waiting for updates on the potential projects for this fall and spring, and will relay that info here when I get it.
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »
I'm just curious, how is the seed being planted? Is it being flown on or is it being raked in or just walking the right area's with a handheld spin spreader? I'm just curious what you guy's feel is the best method for planting Bitterbrush seed on ground that's not worked up? I wish we could cover ever South facing slope with this stuff.

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 02:00:03 PM »
The planting method for the bitterbrush seed will depend on the terrain.  In some areas, we will be able to use a seed drill; other areas we may not have any option to break the ground, so surface spreading or "frost seeding" would happen.  It is possible to break the ground surface with rakes, but when seeding a large area, it's just not feasible.  If planting plugs, we generally use augers to aid in the work, but any kind of planting takes lots of hours, bottomline.
I did hear from Todd that his bitterbrush plugs didn't succeed overall...those that made it were eaten by the deer.  So the funds raised/donated specifically for that purpose can still be used, but we would get them through a local grower or seed supplier.  Still will have the same effect, and we could work on matching forum funds with MDF funds to double our inventory for planting.
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
WDFW and the local Mule Deer Foundation Chapter did a quick project on Tuesday of this week, putting out seed over a few acres of Carlton Complex Fire damage.  We used a portion of the seed that was purchased recently, and will use the rest as project opportunities come up this fall and winter.
This project only came up the day before, so there was no time to get the word out for volunteers.  I have asked the bios there to do their best to give us more notice so I can post projects here for those that would like to get out and help.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 12:44:25 PM »
How do the bios feel about introducing a non- native legume into these seeding projects? I've been researching Sainfoin alot and just bought a few acres worth of seed to put out around my place and from what i hear from the guys around me thats grow several acres for hay the mule deer will walk right through an alfalfa field to the sainfoin field and eat it first. It has tannins in it that work as a natural wormer for the deer and they can't over eat on it like alfalfa. It grows almost anywhere and doesn't reseed like noxious weeds do. It would spread slowly if at all in area's and it even gets 3ft tall or more depending on the soil and how often it's gazed upon. What are other people's thoughts on this stuff?

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
We have tried to reseed bitter brush in burned areas and success is limited, we drilled some in, hand planted some and broadcast some, all with limited success. It seems to be hard to get started, although once it takes it is hard to kill.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »
Todd sold me some of his extra bitterbrush seeds and I am going to use them on my property where the Snag Canyon fire was a little over a year ago.  Hopefully it does well, sounds like it might be a bit of a battle.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 01:52:57 PM »
Where can we get some and what is the best time to plant?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

Todd_ID has started antelope bitterbrush plants/seedlings. Not sure how or even if he sells them, but he grows them. He donated a lot of them to sell for donations to the MDF that are intended to be planted in the Methow. I'm not sure where we stand on the logistical end of that. That's a question that MuleDeer and/or Bearpaw could answer better. Plans were in the works and then the fire season here put the kibosh on that this year asI understand.
I think the biologists originally said the best time to plant would be fall. Don't hold me to that just yet.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »

Todd_ID has started antelope bitterbrush plants/seedlings. Not sure how or even if he sells them, but he grows them. He donated a lot of them to sell for donations to the MDF that are intended to be planted in the Methow. I'm not sure where we stand on the logistical end of that. That's a question that MuleDeer and/or Bearpaw could answer better. Plans were in the works and then the fire season here put the kibosh on that this year asI understand.
I think the biologists originally said the best time to plant would be fall. Don't hold me to that just yet.

Thanks, just sent him a text. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 03:59:01 PM »
If your on the East side and you can contact them in advance I believe Plants of the Wild in Tekoa sell's Bitterbrush starts every year and they also sell seed. I say in advance cuz I believe they sell out quickly on alot of things due to high demand. They of course carry several native shrubs and seeds you can purchase to get a jump start on re-establishing your property to how it may have looked before wildfires destroyed the habitat or just to create habitat that is familiar to the wildife you have in your area's. :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by pianoman9701
[Today at 08:57:54 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]