collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP Bearpaw Outfitters, Quality Hunts for over 30 Years

Author Topic: Cougar Tips  (Read 30123 times)

Offline JJB11B

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Cougar Tips
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2015, 05:00:50 PM »
Best piece of cougar advice I can give,
Buy her a few drinks and compliment her beauty :tup:
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
I'm looking to just go out, cut a fresh track and walk it out should the snow be shallow enough.

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?
i don't know about 50/50 but it has been done before. I have tried it my self but have not been successful yet.  Prepare to walk a long ways and threw some nasty stuff. They don't seem to care how thick or how steep it is they just wonder up and down like its nothing.  Found some tracks on a blow down yesterday but I'm thing young cougar or tom bobcat. Had to tell cause the cat was slipping as it walked. Snow was starting to melt and the trees where dripping like crazy so I lost the tracks quickly.
🐾

"... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
Charles R. Swindoll

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
how is this for a call in story?
A Washington bowhunter went through 18 lives with one arrow on Monday when he bagged two mountain lions at the same time.
Ben Hendrickson, 36, of Spokane and his friend Rod Noah, 58, of Chattaroy had been hunting the woods of Pend Oreille County for elk when the cat fluke occurred.
The two had been hunting elk for several days with little luck. That situation changed Monday evening when Noah called in what he thought was a deer.
 “I was nearby, but Rod was doing the calling, so they were homed in on him,” Hendrickson told the Spokesman-Review. When the “deer” raised its tail, Noah immediately recognized it as a cougar. With a lion tag in his pocket, Noah took the 32-yard shot. “I’ve never even seen a mountain lion in the wild,” Noah said. “I didn’t hesitate at the chance.” Noah took the animal with a broadside shot. Then he waited.
“Heck, I needed a few minutes to get my heart rate down,” Noah said. Despite the adrenaline rush, Noah knew his shot was good. “I was using a lighted nock and it looked like a flare going right behind its front leg,” he said. “The lion jumped and crashed through brush out of sight down the hill, but I knew I’d smacked him hard.”
The two men followed the blood trail even though they were both sure the lion went in the opposite direction. “I thought the lion had gone left, but a blood trail doesn’t lie, so we followed it straight down the hill,” Noah said.
Once they found the animal the two called a taxidermist who instructed them to bring the animal in immediately for skinning. As the two were dragging the cat up the hill Hendrickson noted that the wound on the animal didn’t match the shot he’d seen Noah take.
“We look at the cat and the wound is right in the middle of his chest,” Noah explained. “I said, ‘That’s not right.’” The men went back to the site where the cat was shot only to find another dead catamount not 15 yards from where it had been shot. That’s right. Noah unknowingly shot two cougars with one arrow.
“He hit both cougars with one shot and they ran a short way and died almost right next to each other,” Hendrickson said. This revelation presented a problem though as hunters are only allowed one lion per season. Hendrickson admits his first thought wasn’t very honest. “I had a tag and the first thought was for me to just tag it and that’s that,” he said. “But then we wouldn’t be able to tell the story, which is too amazing.”
The men called the authorities. “So we called the game warden,” Noah said. “I didn’t know how it was going down, but we figured that was the right thing to do.”
Washington Fish and Wildlife Department officer Severin Erickson arrived on scene in less than an hour, listed to the men’s story, then gave his seal of approval.
“Their story all checked out,” Severin said. “Technically, it would be double-bagging – two cougars with one arrow – but it was an honest mistake. Legally, they’re required to check in with us and they did. Officers have discretion in these cases. I had to give him a warning, but there was no citation.”
Honesty is always the best policy.

Congratulations, Noah. That was a one-in-a-million shot.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
for?

Oh sorry I missed this.

I was just being funny, it was in reference to house cats chasing around laser pointers and the seminar I linked earlier talking about watching house cats to see how lions might act.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." -George Bernard.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2015, 06:15:28 PM »
I'm looking to just go out, cut a fresh track and walk it out should the snow be shallow enough.

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?

I haven't done this myself, but there are a few guys around here that do and are successful.  Dale has mentioned this before too as he knows of a guy doing just that.

I followed one for 5 miles but never found the end of the trail,  I wasn't hunting cat at the time and started the trail too late in the day to follow it all the way out.  Need to start O'Dark 30 and follow it into daybreak.  If there is a series of roads try to jump ahead and pick up the trail again, circle until you know it's in the area then head in after it.

If you get on it and know it's just ahead but can't get a shot and you're bumping it over and over you could try to bum rush it barking like a dog at it, make a crap ton of racket it might go up a tree.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:23:59 PM by KFhunter »
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." -George Bernard.

Offline kellama2001

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun
  • Groups: MDF, NWTF, NRA, RMEF
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2015, 07:15:01 PM »
Tagging. Good info here
Some old fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?
i don't know about 50/50 but it has been done before. I have tried it my self but have not been successful yet.  Prepare to walk a long ways and threw some nasty stuff. They don't seem to care how thick or how steep it is they just wonder up and down like its nothing.  Found some tracks on a blow down yesterday but I'm thing young cougar or tom bobcat. Had to tell cause the cat was slipping as it walked. Snow was starting to melt and the trees where dripping like crazy so I lost the tracks quickly.

Those tracks look a little too old for me to start following.

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?

i follow just about every cat track I come across. Dosent mater how old. Like said before you find an area the cat travels often you find a good cat spot for life. After following a lot of tracks you will see the trends.

There is a cougar article in my last predator extreme about cougar hunting with hounds but in the article he mentions how he takes big mature toms in the same areas every year.

You find a great area and take a mature tom be it bobcat or cougar an other mature tom will move in and use those same trails, bedding areas and hunting areas.  Find an area like that and you have the chance to take a mature tom every year
🐾

"... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
Charles R. Swindoll

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2015, 09:21:35 PM »
good point on scouting

I was thinking to walk one down I'd look for a fresher track

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?

i follow just about every cat track I come across. Dosent mater how old. Like said before you find an area the cat travels often you find a good cat spot for life. After following a lot of tracks you will see the trends.

There is a cougar article in my last predator extreme about cougar hunting with hounds but in the article he mentions how he takes big mature toms in the same areas every year.

You find a great area and take a mature tom be it bobcat or cougar an other mature tom will move in and use those same trails, bedding areas and hunting areas.  Find an area like that and you have the chance to take a mature tom every year

Since they are an ambush predator i would imagine terrain and deer habits make a specific area very fruitful.
The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2015, 09:01:19 PM »

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?

Since they are an ambush predator i would imagine terrain and deer habits make a specific area very fruitful.
exactly! You find those areas with the best habitat your going to find the boss cat for the area, and if you kill that cat a new boss cat will move in. It's like the grizzly's catching salmon. The boss gets the the best spot. But when he moves on number two takes his spot. 

Many of us already know great cougar spots. We just don't know it as a cougar spot. All areas that hold any abundance of deer or elk also hold big cats! Many of us know areas that at certain times of the year have more deer or elk than normal. You can bet your last buck that any area with a large number of deer or elk hold big toms durning the time that area holds the abundance of game.   Winter is the best time to hunt cougar. It's also the time of year deer and elk move to winter areas and those areas that have a lot of game in a smaller area than other times of the year are the areas you want to focus on.  Find some winter grounds and scout it year round. Learn all the trails and hiding spots. When winter comes it will make finding those cat tracks much easier. That cat is going to be checking and hunting those game herds.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:14:32 PM by jasnt »
🐾

Charles R. Swindoll

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »
When it snows im gona hit the roads and woods for certain this year!
The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »
I know that on a few ranches they would like to come out on sunny days and lay on the hay bales.  I wonder if slash piles would be similar enough?  Anyone see westside cats laying up in the slash?

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Business Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
Not a cougar expert but if I was going to call one I would wait for snow or hunt areas with snow ...find some tracks and move in on him before calling ...or just follow the tracks and pray you get lucky ...

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »
I know that on a few ranches they would like to come out on sunny days and lay on the hay bales.  I wonder if slash piles would be similar enough?  Anyone see westside cats laying up in the slash?
i found a cougar kill on top a slash pile before in 113

This head and most of the rest of the bones where found on top the slash pile. Cougar scrape was found 50ish yards from there and tracks found little farther than that. Found this in 2014 and came back this year to see if it was still there.  Looked like more fresher bones had joined the old bones up top.  I'll be checking it again this winter when I call up there.  This is a big game winter range area
🐾

Charles R. Swindoll

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?
one of your best bets would be to cut a track walk it up till you think your are somewhat close, set up and try to call him to you.  Just be more patient then we were last year!  We did a set on some tracks last year called till we were bored (not long enough) went and food another set in the next canyon, came back only to find take 100 yards from our first set that walked right by my truck!  Just didn't set long enough.  Patients is the key, which I don't have :chuckle:

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
Snow coming Tuesday morning in the ne. Looking  forward the calling
🐾

Charles R. Swindoll

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?
one of your best bets would be to cut a track walk it up till you think your are somewhat close, set up and try to call him to you.  Just be more patient then we were last year!  We did a set on some tracks last year called till we were bored (not long enough) went and food another set in the next canyon, came back only to find take 100 yards from our first set that walked right by my truck!  Just didn't set long enough.  Patients is the key, which I don't have :chuckle:

My cold stands average 90min... hot stands have gone 3 hours!

(However, I've called in cats from 1hr 10min, to 2min!)
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »
Sounds like I'm gonna have a full schedule if I bag a deer and have some free time in December! Not alot of snow that falls here in the lowlands though...
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
Found some tracks wed.  Couldn't follow cause I was helping a friend with her archery tag.  Found tracks on this trail 3 years in a row right after late mf deer is over
🐾

Charles R. Swindoll

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
Oops forgot the pics
🐾

Charles R. Swindoll

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »
looks like a female lion  :tup:

I'd still call her, we got so many lions in WA we ought to have multiple tags instead of small quota's.

Offline Bango skank

• Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
Decided its too damn cold to do my sit and wait tactic for late arch elk, so about 6am im going to be hiking behind a closed gate to try to cut fresh lion tracks.  Tagging a lion is my sole focus for the rest of the year.  What i SHOULD be doing is trying to call one in here at home.  Just checked a cam behind my house and there was a cat chasing a  doe through my yard on the 20th.  Something like 10 instances of lions on cam on my property since july.  At least 6 or 7 different cats, if you count the two cubs following their momma.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
Sounds like you got a spot to call off your porch

Offline Bango skank

• Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
looks like a female lion  :tup:

I'd still call her, we got so many lions in WA we ought to have multiple tags instead of small quota's.

Coild be a small male  :dunno:

I find avton of lion tracks every winter, but ive only found one set of tracks that were 100% inarguably a huge tom.  They were far far bigger than any other set ive seen, and i sometimes find 4 or 5 diff sets in a day of riding after a fresh snow.  Seeing cat tracks that big was just weird.  Makes you feel pretty far down on the food chain kinda.  Id be hard pressed to think of more than a few sets of bear tracks ive ever seen that were that big.  Looked like somebodys siberian tiger got loose or something.  I should have followed them, they were fresh, but i had deer on the brain that morning.

* Recent Topics

Poached Goat by MuleDeerCrazy
[Today at 07:01:51 AM]

Rebuilt Title by buglebuster
[Today at 07:00:23 AM]

Late season round ball doe by C-Money
[Today at 06:58:17 AM]

My Blacktail season comes to an awsome close by grundy53
[Today at 06:56:32 AM]

Fletching glue by fishsticks
[Today at 06:55:51 AM]

2017 HuntWA Christmas Gift Exchange - LIST IS CLOSED by Special T