collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Electric powered decoys (to be or not to be)  (Read 10267 times)

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
Electric powered decoys (to be or not to be)
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:09:21 PM »
Anybody have any thoughts on Battery powered decoys or even wind powered spinners?  I know that the WDFW sent me a survey on it.  I personally haven't really seen that motion decoys have really "pulled" them in or made any significant difference.  I tend to think that it is my impeccable decoy placement (yeah right)
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Electric powered decoys (to be or not to be)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:32:31 PM »
I do not duck hunt, but I know that they can be deadly on the birds. My fear is that the ban on these types of decoys will transfer over to predator hunting.

Predator hunting is really come into it's own and calls, decoys and methods are changing rapidly.
Banning a wind powered duck decoy (wings) could be worded as "all wind powered attractor" and that would effectively stop the use of fur/feather/ribbon as a predator attractor.

sisu

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »
My feelings on all this electronic crap for hunting is a BIG NO, but then I am considered an old fart now I guess.
If you can't call, practice, lay out your decoys and stay covered up. If I can shoot a duck without electronic aids anyone can.

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:15:31 PM »
Mojo's are for people who can't call well  >:( If Joe Blow from down the street get a couple of Mojo's I have to get a couple....just to stay competitive. I have tried all kinds of crap. The best and cheapest way is to set up a jerk string. I have had alot of luck, plus it is ultra low tech. Not a whole lot can go wrong. Decoy placement and most importantly, location is everything  8)
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 09:06:34 PM »
Here is last year's opening weekend picture.  Public land.  Nothing electronic.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline SequimHunter01

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:45:34 PM »
I've posted long responses to threads such as this on Refuge Forums.  All I'll say is that I'm against them.  I don't see the need. >:(
When you work, work hard.  When you play, play hard.

"To kill more ducks you need to go gangsta. I wear a "Jefferson Street" white "Pimp Parka" while hunting in the snow --- Brings in them Bitchas !!!! Not that I shoot hens on the water ---" - Originally posted by old sxs on Refuge Forums.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 06:46:57 AM »
I am personally against all electronic calls, from predators to ducks to soon deer probably.  How much technology is needed to bag a limit of ducks, or to shoot a coyote? I'll probably get a response that we are our own worst enemies, and need to stick together as hunters or something, but its my opinion that we have to draw a line somewhere between hunting and harvest.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 08:52:03 AM »
I think that a lot of these type hunting methods are preffered or not preferred depending mostly on where you are. back east...midwest, etc there's a lot more of this type stuff used and accepted. kind of like hunting out of box blinds over feeders. it's widely accepted in other areas of the country, just not here. but go east and nobody spots and stalks deer.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 09:10:42 AM »
Thats a very good point.

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
I am sure if I was from Arkansas or something I wouldn't leave the house without one, but alas, I am from Wa...so nope...lol
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »
screw the batteries but I have no problem with using a jerk string spinner.  In my opinion they work better than the battery operated ones.  I've killed limits with battereis, w/o batteries and with a flutter wing.  Doesn't matter if they ban all spinners or not, still only a fraction of duck hunters that know enough to consistently kill limits.  Always good to know I'm part of that minority.
hey, where's Professor Chaos? Anyone seen him?

This post will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Offline honkerknocker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »
I dont think its a necesity to use electronics but it sure would be nice...Im going to go out on a limb and disagree and say that the three jerk strings we run and three plus wind powered lucky ducks we throw out in the spread do one hundred percent increase our kill counts..Its hard to deny the killing power when you watch malllards try to land on top of your wind powered lucky ducks...I can call with the best of them but when those ducks get call shy the motion in the spread bring them down into the dekes without any hesitation just my two cents

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 04:39:55 PM »
I'm against electronic decoys. Wind powered are alright though, if you really feel you need them.
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

Offline bas

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 01:59:03 AM »
I haven't hunted with them yet however, my friend has used them a few seasons.  He says they are great...I guess I will find out in October if they live up to their reputation.  I see them all the time on the waterfowl shows on 'The Outdoor Channel'.  But that could be a lot of advertisement and sponsorships.  I think they use that Mojo all the time on Waterfowl TV (or one of those shows).

Offline wannahunt

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »
I say no to the electronics. Using a black flag or jerk string is plenty good enough to get your limits. I don't even use those unless the wind is just dead calm. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal