collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Last nights bear follies  (Read 4033 times)

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Last nights bear follies
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:18:23 AM »
So I am out and about in a fav bear area of mine (thanks to my older bro) walking a dirt road about 1 1/2 in from the gate, headed to a stump I want to call from @ about 5:30. Snap crash....I stop at the sounds, tall brush lines both sides of the road, but I can see a break in the brush to my right which reveils blackberries, swamp, assorted chest high brush (im 6'1).

The setting sun is blairing in my eyes, which is just above the trees, I can still hear the crashing, nice and close, but cant see clearly. The wind was just barely in my favor. I see a dark object near the tree lines about 100yrd away and I pull up to take a closer look, only to catch a bear standing up about 30 feet out infront of me and to my right. All I can see is his sillouette of his head and neck as he looks toward my left at a side profile. I slow pan to my right, getting ready to take aim, but I want to make sure the bear is without cubs, so I hesitate. The bear gets back on all fours, brush sways as he moves, cant really see much of the bear at all and I am not a brush shooter, so I wait.

The bear walks about 20 feet perpendicular to me and beds down, or so I think. I can still see the area fairly well and am very confident that if the bear moved, I would at least see brush move, plus the bear was not alarmed to my presence. I freeze in this position for 45 min, waiting for the bear to move or stand up or anything. With no movement in the brush I decided to quietly toss a few rocks over that way..(ya its goofy, but it was getting dark and there was no way I could sneak any closer without making a ton of racket).

Rocks produce nothing. I wait a bit longer, and call softly on my elk calf call for a second or two..nothing,....i shake a bunch of tree branches and snap twigs...nothing. I am still fairly convinced this bear is still bed down, I cant believe he got away without moving a twig, so I call my brother and talk to him on the phone, laughing at the situation hoping my voice would at least freak the bear out and put him on the run so I could get a shot....nothing...

So, I have to conclude that the bear has either been shot at before, and said heck with this, come in the brush and get me or I aint moving, or that sneaky little SOB was somehow able to escape all my senses and didnt move a branch while it escaped. Either way, it had my respect and got to live for another day.

I will be back there tonight.....perhaps I will do a bit better. Just wanted to share my failed hunt...LOL...

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Last nights bear follies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:47:54 AM »
:)  Very cool, I bet your sense were on high alert!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
Yes, my senses were highly tuned at that time and I was ready to pull my .45 at a moments notice...it was fun for sure. ;)

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »
It's a whole different world when they have the advantage.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »
Isn't it amazing how they can silently escape in the thickest, driest stuff?

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:05:10 PM »
Sounds great man! Keep us updated. I made an outright mistake tonight. I had the biggest bear Ive ever seen in the woods at 80 yards in a green field and walking toward me... 300 win mag in hand... do i shoot? no, I try to move to a shooting rest and scare a deer that pushes the bear into the woods. Why didnt i shoot? Because Im an idiot and I believe I need a rest to hit a Toyota Tacoma driving toward me in the open at 80 yards.

I hope you and I both get a second chance at our bears!

good luck

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 12:01:15 PM »
I did get a second chance at mine...hopefully you will too! I shot mine Friday night (see new post)...scanning the pics now (digital cam busted, had to use caveman disposable version)....Good luck man...sounds like yours was a monster!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]