collapse
Helping Big Game Hunters experience adventures all over the world. Guided Moose And Black Bear Hunts

Author Topic: Goat Tag Raffle - Flooded  (Read 56062 times)

Offline JoeE

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Goat Tag Raffle - Flooded
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2016, 08:20:16 AM »
How many tickets did you buy?

Offline Bushcraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, NSSF, RMEF, RMGA, MDF, WSF, DU, HHC, WWC, WDAC
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2016, 10:55:57 AM »
shearer?

No sir.  My last name is Ernst.
Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

*Proud supporter of NRA, NRA-ILA SCI, SCIF, SCI-PAC, NSSF, RMEF, RMGA, MDF, WSF, DU, WWA, HHC, WWC

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »
Never heard of shearing goats.  Thought that was a sheep thing. :dunno: 

I guess Angora are goats, aren't they?  Never mind! :chuckle:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »
That's where my mind went too Rad....

The late season ones have more to sheer  :chuckle:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Buckjunkie

• Tracker
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
Seriously Coach? Al Shearer is one of the nicest guys I have ever met and you are going to take a shot like that at him?

Offline Bushcraft

• Scout
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
Buckjunkie,

I don't know Coachcw and I don't presume to speak for him, but I don't believe for a second he was "taking a shot" or meant anything untoward with his comment. Rather, I simply construed that he thought Al Shearer might not feel inclined to traipse around in the steep, cliffy stuff that mountain goats call home.  Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but I don't think Coach meant anything by it.

Regards,

Allen

*Proud supporter of NRA, NRA-ILA SCI, SCIF, SCI-PAC, NSSF, RMEF, RMGA, MDF, WSF, DU, WWA, HHC, WWC

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
Dumb question, but wouldn't it be cheaper just to hire a guide and go on a guided full furnished hunt up in Alaska, or maybe even a combo, Yukon moose, goat, and wolverine hunt? Someday, when i win the lotto, I am gonna have alot of fun :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline JoeE

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »
I think part of it is the DIY. I'd much rather go do it on my own and get it done myself then pay a guide to show me. Even if it ends up costing the same.

Offline Bushcraft

• Scout
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2016, 08:00:35 PM »
I think part of it is the DIY. I'd much rather go do it on my own and get it done myself then pay a guide to show me. Even if it ends up costing the same.

Joe nailed it.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2016, 08:01:56 PM »

Absolutely :tup:  I have been on half a dozen goat trips to BC.  Many of those guides have become good friends of mine.  Yet I would still rather be hunting on my own, at my own pace and sleep and eat what and where I want. 

I had a particular big billy I wanted.  I know for certain I could have killed him if I had packed a tent up on top of the mountain and just waited him out.  But, in the limited time and with all the liability concerns for the outfit we couldn't hunt that way.  I like to take things in and just absorb the whole experience.  That's hard to do when you have just seven days and you're on a leash.

Plus, I find there is something special about hunting my back yard.  Getting to experience something few here will ever get a chance to do.  I'm fascinated by the animal, but the experience is what I am after most.  Just hard to do with a guide and a set schedule.

Now you got me thinking of challenging Bushcraft for the tag again.  I have been a runner up on this tag multiple times.  I know how he feels.  But I'm not getting any younger or skinnier. :chuckle:  I'd like my chance too. ;)

Offline Buckjunkie

• Tracker
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
Allen,

I don't know Coach either, but I have read many of his comments. You seem like a nice guy and I respect your desire to keep it civil. I hope you draw the raffle tag and have the hunt of a lifetime.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Bushcraft

• Scout
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2016, 09:16:34 PM »
Allen,

I don't know Coach either, but I have read many of his comments. You seem like a nice guy and I respect your desire to keep it civil. I hope you draw the raffle tag and have the hunt of a lifetime.

Regards,

Jim

Thank you Jim!

I hope you get the draw (or two!) of your dreams and have a great hunting season this Fall.

Best regards,

Allen

Offline Bushcraft

• Scout
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »

Absolutely :tup:  I have been on half a dozen goat trips to BC.  Many of those guides have become good friends of mine.  Yet I would still rather be hunting on my own, at my own pace and sleep and eat what and where I want. 

I had a particular big billy I wanted.  I know for certain I could have killed him if I had packed a tent up on top of the mountain and just waited him out.  But, in the limited time and with all the liability concerns for the outfit we couldn't hunt that way.  I like to take things in and just absorb the whole experience.  That's hard to do when you have just seven days and you're on a leash.

Plus, I find there is something special about hunting my back yard.  Getting to experience something few here will ever get a chance to do.  I'm fascinated by the animal, but the experience is what I am after most.  Just hard to do with a guide and a set schedule.

Now you got me thinking of challenging Bushcraft for the tag again.  I have been a runner up on this tag multiple times.  I know how he feels.  But I'm not getting any younger or skinnier. :chuckle:  I'd like my chance too. ;)

Radsav,

If (and it's a big if) I luck out you should come with.  Given the number of goat hunts you've been on it sounds like you could be a wealth of knowledge/experience.  When it comes to OIL critters, it's all about the experience and time spent with friends both old and new in the backcountry that makes the hunt.

Regards,

Allen

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2016, 09:46:51 PM »
These days I am not an asset on the mountain.  Would take me days to get up there and then restricted once I'm there.  Shanevg would be the guy I'd want in my corner if I was you.  He has been a wealth of information and extremely generous.  And, I doubt you would need to worry about taking him off the mountain in a body bag. :chuckle:

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2016, 09:49:08 PM »
These days I am not an asset on the mountain.  Would take me days to get up there and then restricted once I'm there.  Shanevg would be the guy I'd want in my corner if I was you.  He has been a wealth of information and extremely generous.  And, I doubt you would need to worry about taking him off the mountain in a body bag. :chuckle:
:chuckle:  the last sentence was too funny, but taking Shanevg, great advice!

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:17 PM »
The reality is so sad it is sort of comical.  The mind is 21, the spirit is 31 and the body shows 41 years of abuse.

Offline coachcw

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2016, 07:38:24 AM »
Totally nothing negative meant by it .... Allen Is a good dude .I met him years ago up in Bc hunting .He is a happy go lucky guy . He has done really well for him self and the sport . I just meant I don't see him as a guy that's gonna be climbing around goat country . I'm not a guy thats gonna be either for that matter but I'm dumb enough to try. That's all I meant . When we see a name ( like  Allen ) people speculate on who . I was just saying I donT believe its that allen. Goat hunting is a young mans sport . I know rumors start pretty quick hell I'm some guide for a guy I don't even know. Good luck on drawing the tag you wont get much competition from me on it .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »
Appears to have updated....
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2016, 03:17:10 PM »
1883 tix sold as of now.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
Totally nothing negative meant by it .... Allen Is a good dude .I met him years ago up in Bc hunting .He is a happy go lucky guy . He has done really well for him self and the sport . I just meant I don't see him as a guy that's gonna be climbing around goat country . I'm not a guy thats gonna be either for that matter but I'm dumb enough to try. That's all I meant . When we see a name ( like  Allen ) people speculate on who . I was just saying I donT believe its that allen. Goat hunting is a young mans sport . I know rumors start pretty quick hell I'm some guide for a guy I don't even know. Good luck on drawing the tag you wont get much competition from me on it .

Young man's sport? What happens if I draw again who am I gonna call to help me pack another one off the mountain??? Karl??? Come on, I at least want to look exhausted like the next  guy not look like I'm dying from a heart attack with karl running around like a goat not breaking a sweat. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »

This is my take from hunting. I've hunted so long by myself it's a new adventure sharing it with other like minded folks. I wanted my goat hunt to be memorable and I really wanted to prove to myself that I could get it done myself. I treasure the adventure, the hunt, the pursuit, not the kill. :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2016, 03:36:44 PM »
1883 tix sold as of now.
A little quick math and figuring this thread sparked some sales outside of his I would say he spent $10k on tickets, still cheaper than the price of the auction tag just a little riskier.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline shanevg

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »
1883 tix sold as of now.
A little quick math and figuring this thread sparked some sales outside of his I would say he spent $10k on tickets, still cheaper than the price of the auction tag just a little riskier.

Auction tag went for $34k this year and $27k last year.

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
1883 tix sold as of now.

Auction tag went for $34k this year and $27k last year.
Exactly.  I don't think he wants to spend that much or he would have just bought the auction tag and been guaranteed to win.  Right now he has 1666 of the 1883 tickets.  My guess is if sales go like they normally do he will still have at least half of the tickets giving him a 50/50 shot at winning.  If he doesn't win he is out the $10k and would have to try again next year.  If he loses again the $30k to just buy the auction tag starts looking good.

This is quite the gamble and should be fun to watch.  It is like standing behind the guy at the $5k minimum blackjack table.

I hope it works out.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline jkthomps

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »
July 15th is a long ways away.

* Recent Topics

2017 HuntWA Christmas Gift Exchange - LIST IS CLOSED by smdave
[Today at 11:16:50 PM]

Battery Jump Starters to power Mini Koto motors. by ghosthunter
[Today at 11:13:37 PM]