collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: South Spokane Cow Moose  (Read 10878 times)

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: South Spokane Cow Moose
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »
   unless u have an atv which r allowed on the roads.  mike w

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
I missed that part, now it should be even better.

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »
Best thing that could happen for moose hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »
   my friend finally got his bull after 5 days.  he walked the gated off closed  roads.  saw a bigger bull walking out.   mike w

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
Spent Saturday up there.  With moose numbers what they are, I'm not willing to allow Lil' Gringo to orphan a calf.  We weren't able to find a lone fat cow we could get after.  Being a divorced dad, I kind of like the idea of harvesting a bad momma, one that allowed her calf to die...  :chuckle:

Sunday got text messages from home, step-son being airlifted to Sacred Heart Childrens Hosp for a heart issue....  Don't know what the deal is with these OIL tags but they seem to come at a cost  :chuckle:

All is OK, God is Good!  He's in good hands and should be home shortly, just need to figure out why his heart is wanting to do it's own thing.  Not sure we'll make it back up there, we may, but clarity of perspective......is always a gift.   :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
The IEP lands were opened back up this last weekend in the north unit.  I would assume south also.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »
Correct...

Also curious if someone lost a cow....  We found her, appeared to be dead a week or so?  Zero predation on her at that time.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »
so far I have hunted 16 days without a moose sighting.  getting a bit frustrated.  on weekends I have 1 or 2 other people with me on other roads or other places looking for mrs moose.  so far nothing.  will hit it again this weekend.  talked to a gur from freeman with a bull tag.  he has hunted for 40 days and has seen only 4 cows, 2 on privare property.  mike w

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
  oops , I posted in the wrong place.  my post should be in mica peak.  don't know how to move it.    wish I was hunting south Spokane,  there are moose there.  mike w

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 06:24:28 PM »
     wish I was hunting south Spokane,  there are moose there.  mike w
You were saying the same thing about Mica in the previous years. Good luck on filling your tag though. :tup:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »
need to sit where you can see a lot of country and sit there for hours. I had a moose next to me couple of days ago on mica and 1 on my cam 3 days ago. To many moose hunters have a mentality that they are huge animals and if they are around you will just see them. There is a spot Id sit on mica everyday.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 08:19:36 AM »
FYI...

IEP gates are now shut until next year.

I spent last weekend with Lil' Gringo in there.  Friday saw 7 moose, Saturday 3, and Sunday by 9am saw 4.  Mostly bulls and 2 sets of cows with calves.  Bulls are definitely starting to rut hard.

Even got to pull the trigger...just didn't go boom.........but that story will have to be told another time...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:37:08 AM by Gringo31 »
-Ronald Reagan

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
Interesting they're starting to rut hard. Should be wound down by now or over. Extended like everything else this year I guess.

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
Re: South Spokane Cow Moose (Updated)
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 04:08:16 PM »
Found some time and made it over the last weekend of the season and was able to punch a tag.  Couldn't have done it without the hunt community on here and Facebook for giving out great info and putting me where the best chances of seeing Moose are.  I met a couple local Deer hunters as well that helped a bunch with info of the area.  On this hunt I had a series of difficulties with broke down 4wheelers and pushing them out of the woods and working on them for hours at the gate and in the three days I had for hunting I hunted a total of 12 hours, didn't think I was going to get it done and was beginning to think I made a bad decision in trying to squeeze a last minute Moose hunt into my season.  On the last morning I had for hunting and knowing I could only hunt a half day that day so I could leave in time to make it home for work the next morning, with my hunt partner waking up sick that day and staying at the gate in the truck I decide head up solo with high doubts of killing a Moose.  I rode up to where a couple locals said I should check out and the first place I stopped to glass I spotted a nice Bull, shortly after I watched this Cow come up out of the thick by the Bull and I ranged her at 597 yards.  I dialed the scope in and took the shots hitting her twice and dropping her right in her tracks and the rest is history.  This hunt taught me more than any hunt to never give up trying and that it only takes one good moment to make all the negative moments worth your efforts.  It went from one of the worse hunting experiences Ive been involved in and lowest of lows to the ultimate high in a single instance.  Thanks again to the fellow hunters that have been so helpful, and now it is my turn to pass it on.  Future Moose tag holders that draw the South Spokane are welcome to PM me for info and I'll share what I know!
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »
Really glad to see you made it happen, Arte!    :tup: :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]