collapse
For a Day of FISHING & EXCITEMENT Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing  (Read 22242 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Commercial Fishing
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Doubleling, the personal and financial sacrifice has been tremendous, but it has been worth it for me.

Here's a vid that is a bit cheesy, but I think it captures a bit of the hope, trepidation and peace I feel as I push the boat through Canadian waters on my way to AK each spring. 

https://youtu.be/4eYF03b-jq4
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Whitpirate

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »
Great read and what I know of men willing to go full time fishing is that the offseason is never off and when on the grounds it is time to grind. 

My question when you are on the long term grind delivering to tenders what's your average food day look like?  How do you resupply?  Got any boat box deals in the end of seasons as I'd be interested in purchasing direct.

Offline plugger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
Spent 3 summers in  the late 80s working on the Valle Lee out of Sitka (Based in Port Angeles) trolling and we would hit the halibut opening on occasion, weather permitting. They were 24 hr openings back then. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I would never do it again LOL. Nothing funner than the kings. Crazy when those big ones would hit, stretching out the springs on the tag lines, shaking the poles, busting 100 lb test on the inside deep like nothing. Good times for sure.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »
 :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Offline Night goat

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
  • skookum magoo strikes again!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
skillet

thanks for an awesome thread

im a fisherman myself, and have fished off and on for years and work as a marine diesel mechanic when not up north. I have seined, gillnetted, crabbed dungies and opilio, tendered and engineered on seiners, and every trip is worth a lifetime of stories. made me who I am today, and damned proud call myself a commercial fisherman!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
Thanks fellas. If I don't respond to your questions, just know that I'm trying to figure out if they either are part of a story I can tell our they are a bit better suited for a more focused reply than I can give while out here on the grounds.

One thing I've noticed that almost every guy here had said about getting on a commercial boat - they wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  It's true for me, too.  The only thing I regret about leaving the security and comfort of my regular life is that I didn't do it sooner.   I am completely ruined for 9-5 work from now on.  Nothing will give me the same thrill as wrassling a 25+# king the last three fathoms (leader length) to the boat by hand. Or pulling up wire after wire loaded with coho top to bottom.  Or finding a pile of hungry fish with nobody else around for miles.

It gets in your blood.

To paraphrase John Muir:

KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Buzz2401

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
I am all for commercial fishing in Alaska but don't feel like it really has a place in Washington anymore.  We have a different economy down here and way less fishing resources.  We need commercial fishing in this country but I believe it is much more sustainable in Alaska then here in the lower 48.  But until we get tribal nets out of the rivers none of this matters.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
I am all for commercial fishing in Alaska but don't feel like it really has a place in Washington anymore.  We have a different economy down here and way less fishing resources.  We need commercial fishing in this country but I believe it is much more sustainable in Alaska then here in the lower 48.  But until we get tribal nets out of the rivers none of this matters.

Different economy down here? There's a huge market for fresh wild fish here. Where do you think most of the catch from AK comes? Yes the nets need to come out of the water and everyone can play fair.

Offline jstone

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
1995 I went up to Alaska on a purse seiner. We fished SE Alaska had the time of my life. The only reason that I didn't keep doing it was my daughter was 1. It was hard on the wife, and when my daughter forgot who I was when I got home BROKE MY HEART. Hard work but one of those life experiences that I would never forget. I love the pictures brings back memories. And I remember when some of those HUGE kings hit the deck. Back in those days we had to throw the kings back. But they where big. And fishing for fresh halibut between sets. Awesome. Also learned how to fly fish up there. I tell you I didn't know what I was doing and I caught all kinds of fish in those lakes. Keep the pictures and stories coming.

Offline Buzz2401

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »

Different economy down here? There's a huge market for fresh wild fish here. Where do you think most of the catch from AK comes? Yes the nets need to come out of the water and everyone can play fair.

Yes we have a way different economy.  We have way more opportunity for someone to find a career outside fishing or working on the slope.  We need commercial fisherman to supply the world with fish, but the small amount that is harvested down here has a much bigger impact on our overall resource down here.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »
Looking to keep this a politics-free thread as much as possible fellas, hoping we can keep this space reserved for the stories, pictures and vids of commercial fishing.

Thanks!
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline jstone

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
 :tup: :tup:

Online h20hunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
Looking to keep this a politics-free thread as much as possible fellas, hoping we can keep this space reserved for the stories, pictures and vids of commercial fishing.

Thanks!

I think we can manage to keep the thread from derailing or piracy threadjacking.
Yes, my FJ is pink, I'm all about Team Jacob, beer is not for the horses nor is whiskey for the men, they are both for me.

Offline runamuk

• And then it happened I found my Precious
  • Explorer
  • Mine
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
So I don't have to keep it a secret anymore  :chuckle:
I like seeing the pics and hearing about it, I had friends back in high school who worked on the boats back in the late 80's.
benchleg

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
I like seeing the pics and hearing about it, I had friends back in high school who worked on the boats back in the late 80's.

Haha, the truth will set you free! Thanks for being a good sport tho Run.  :tup:  How's Chip?

I'm uploading a few pics now, hopefully you will see some pics and stories that sound really familiar.  Sounds like we have quite a few old seiner, Bristol Bay and troller hands on the board.  Hoping some more of these salts will recall good stories or dig out some of those old pics of fishing and share.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
I wish I could put my hands on a book I received as a gift years ago. It was a collection of stories by commercial fishermen in Alaska.
Fascinating stuff.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
  • Mine
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »

Haha, the truth will set you free! Thanks for being a good sport tho Run.  :tup:  How's Chip?

I'm uploading a few pics now, hopefully you will see some pics and stories that sound really familiar.  Sounds like we have quite a few old seiner, Bristol Bay and troller hands on the board.  Hoping some more of these salts will recall good stories or dig out some of those old pics of fishing and share.
Chip is still alive and kickin.
benchleg

Offline wsmnut

• Scout
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »
Great stuff Skillet!
The Sitka Sound area is gorgeous.  My family have been in the fishing industry in Alaska since Dad started tendering in 1953.  3rd generation is still at it on a 1951 vintage wooden power scow.
I tendered on and off from SE to Bristol Bay and Kodiak.  I miss the trips north each Spring.  The ocean does start calling and I get a huge ache inside.
Heck, I even miss the craziness of Sitka Herring!
Love your pictures.  Keep them coming!
Wsmnut

Belief is so often the death of reason.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the great technique and wonderful kings, Skillet. You're man's man doing a job not many would do in a place that's full of hazard. Get home safely.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline RB

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
Granddads Troller in 1984 the Bluejacket
IAFF #3728

Bob Beam

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »
Great pic RB!  I don't recall seeing her around, doesn't mean she's not still working however.  I have mad respect for the low ADFG number boats like your granddads - they are icons in the fleet.

Here's a couple of pics I took on the dock tonight. 

@plugger

I know Gary and his current deckhand Jake.  Great operation, and I hope to someday have quota like that guy does.

Another pic, just for S&G's  @duckslayer89

Thanks for the great technique and wonderful kings, Skillet. You're man's man doing a job not many would do in a place that's full of hazard. Get home safely.
That is some seriously high praise coming from you sir.  It was an honor.

Pman is referencing the troll-caught quality that we are all so proud of in this fleet.  Each fish is brought on board by hand, one at a time, and bled/dressed right away for the highest quality product.  The quick handling and dress technique makes or breaks a delicate fish like a winter king, and Pman's endorsement is the best I could possibly obtain. 

A few pics of what he's talking about -

Last night at Symonds was a little sporty.  The bay is open only to the north, so is a great place to shelter during the SW, W and NW winds we commonly get here in the winter.  Last night, however, was a 20N wind... so it was blowing right down the gut of the anchorage and and there were 2-3 footers.  Just a bit more than allows for sweet dreams.  On top of that, it was snowing when I racked out -

Believe me, I'm not complaining.  I have a Dickinson Pacific diesel stove that has been running nearly non-stop since October that gets the cabin toasty warm.  But setting the hook in that stuff solo can get a little trying when all you want to do is get inside and get warm after a long day of running gear in frigid saltwater spray.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:52:21 PM by Skillet »
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
Great stuff Skillet!
The Sitka Sound area is gorgeous.  My family have been in the fishing industry in Alaska since Dad started tendering in 1953.  3rd generation is still at it on a 1951 vintage wooden power scow.
I tendered on and off from SE to Bristol Bay and Kodiak.  I miss the trips north each Spring.  The ocean does start calling and I get a huge ache inside.
Heck, I even miss the craziness of Sitka Herring!
Love your pictures.  Keep them coming!

I know the Eigil B.  Seemed like they spent all of May and half of June painting her up at the docks.  Can't even imagine how much more that scow could pack if you took all the paint off  :chuckle:
But they keep her nice, and she's a good working boat.  Moored on the opposite finger of me in Eliason Harbor.  :tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 11:16:01 PM »
Great idea Skillet.  I'll be following regularly!

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
  • Mine
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 06:49:15 AM »
Now those are some beautiful fish.  Wow.
benchleg

Online h20hunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 07:34:40 AM »
Now if we only had a way to bring you on as a sponser and get some of this fish on the market....how do you say.....over the rail sales?
Yes, my FJ is pink, I'm all about Team Jacob, beer is not for the horses nor is whiskey for the men, they are both for me.

* Recent Topics

Elk Hunting in Ferry, Stevens, or Pend Oreille Counties by Ghost Hunter
[Today at 09:06:06 AM]

WTB CZ 527 204 by Gringo31
[Today at 09:02:49 AM]

Ruger M77 7mm Mag sale or trade for SCOPE by TeacherMan
[Today at 08:59:37 AM]

Scouting a new trapline by TeacherMan
[Today at 08:57:31 AM]

Mamma's and babies by Wacenturion
[Today at 08:48:32 AM]

New Bird gun help by Tjkride
[Today at 08:46:50 AM]

Field Photo - Something Different by Brute
[Today at 08:43:36 AM]

New gun bills for Washington by Mongo Hunter
[Today at 08:41:44 AM]

Keegan benefit 3d shoot. by D-Rock425
[Today at 08:38:54 AM]

Everything about tires by Special T
[Today at 08:33:33 AM]

The Bundy Trial: When Justice Fails by CAMPMEAT
[Today at 08:02:04 AM]

Coolant Problem 2000 GMC Sierra by carlyoungs
[Today at 08:02:00 AM]

2017 Late Blacktail Bucks Father/Son by DOUBLELUNG
[Today at 07:59:42 AM]

Horn growth by DOUBLELUNG
[Today at 07:57:51 AM]

Goose hunt by Duckhunter14
[Today at 07:53:01 AM]

Marine mammals now taking more salmon than sport and commercial fishing combined by lokidog
[Today at 07:30:47 AM]

FS: half case of black cloud 12ga ammunition by hunthard
[Today at 07:19:22 AM]

Magpul Pro Rem700 Chassis. by jasnt
[Today at 07:18:36 AM]

Big blacktail?? by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:07:03 AM]

Cougar down by bearpaw
[Today at 06:55:11 AM]