collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kill to many  (Read 5164 times)

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Kill to many
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
Cougar hunters kill more than double recommended guidelines

http://www.king5.com/tech/science/environment/cougar-hunt-exceeds-kill-guidelines/391510894

(Via KING 5)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Kill to many
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »
Well that is an interesting take on the harvest.  I am sure most here would argue that the reason so many were killed in such a short amount of time is their estimate of the population is low and there are more cats out there than they think there are.

The point they make about females getting taken is a good one and if we were still allowed to use dogs I think the harvest would be swayed more towards mature males rather than the way it is now where many of the cats are taken by opportunity not necessarily being targeted.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:38:43 AM »
Lol I would expect nothing less from K5. The whole article is pretty ridiculous but this paragraph is probably my  favorite...

McCoy and others are against cougar hunting altogether, citing the animals ability to self-regulate.
"They don't need to be managed," he said. "Cougars help to maintain healthy populations of deer, elk and smaller animals. For example, they remove deer with chronic wasting disease. By keeping deer populations healthy, cougars are believed to slow the spread of Lyme disease. Cougars also reduce auto collisions with deer, saving dozens of lives. Farmers and orchardists also benefit by having reduced crop damage."

If they want a good example of what happens when you let cougars go unmanaged they should just look at California.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »
 :yeah:

The line about cougars taking out deer with CWD was interesting.  I am guessing the reason we don't have any documented cases of CWD in Washington is because the cougars are taking them out before the biologists can confirm that it is here.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:40 AM »
Liberal sickness.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
Bad reporting. Only one side interviewed and quoted.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
Stupid  :bash:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
Bad reporting. Only one side interviewed and quoted.
:yeah: :yeah:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
I can't wait until the so-called "free press" is given their walking papers to make way for real reporting.  :bash:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
:yeah:

The line about cougars taking out deer with CWD was interesting.  I am guessing the reason we don't have any documented cases of CWD in Washington is because the cougars are taking them out before the biologists can confirm that it is here.

The cougars are being proactive and making sure they kill the deer before they get CWD.  :rolleyes:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »

"They don't need to be managed," he said. "Cougars help to maintain healthy populations of deer, elk and smaller animals.
smaller animals= dogs, cats, chickens, livestock and occasionally small humans......

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 10:45:39 AM »
Through out this Nation, one thing stands out,  where ever there is a high density of liberal people, clueless-ness abounds(no need to offend real idiots).   

This comes to light over and over again daily as news(FakeNews)is spoken and printed and sent out on social media outlets. :yike:

The latest DC "march" further proves this point!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »
Wildlife agencies need to become conservation agencies and stop representing just 5 percent of the public," Fahy said

Do they really want to go there?  I can think of another group that is at most 5% of the public that wields considerably more power than hunters at the moment.

Offline bigfish51

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
Oh boy!  Talk about a lopsided story.  Yes, more than the quota is being taken in many of the GMU.  As stated before, most of the quota's are low.  WDFW tried to raise the quota's last year and were shut down by our fine governor.  Total BS in my opinion.  Also, stated above, the best management tool we have for cougars was taken away from the hunter's and WDFW when the great state of Seattle voted out the hound hunting back in 1995.  I have seen more and more cougars and cougar sign as the years have gone by.  Heck, ran into a bio doing studies a few years ago in the Tucannon drainage and he told be that they were tracking 15 different cats in that area.  But the quota is only a few cats per year.  A shame that the uninformed seem to run the show or vote for something that they know nothing about!

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »
They can't generalize just for those specific gmus because there are others where quotas aren't met. And more and more calls for controlling their population in other areas are increasing. I even got e-mailed to go do one in auburn but, I didn't have time to do so then.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal