collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail sheds  (Read 10373 times)

Offline Watimberghost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Blacktail sheds
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
They can be anywhere. My brother and I found ten yesterday.
Reprod- 2
Big Timber- 4
Clear cut- 4
This was all in about a 1/4 square mile. This is an area we hunt regularly so we do know where the deer are at different times of year. Best advice I can give is find fresh sign and look there.

:yeah:

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
Finding where they aren't can be equally educational. Are you seeing a lot of deer sign where you are looking? For a long time I was finding a shed or 2 every year and they were small ones- forks and even spikes. A shed is a shed, but that wasn't where the bigger bucks were. These were smaller animals still hanging out with the does. Once you find a nice shed, look around at the habitat you are standing in. Once I find an area the animals are frequenting, I've had good luck getting off the main trails-but the biggest one I found this year was on the hike in on a main trail. The other considerations are other people finding them first, coyotes picking them up, and the fact that they can be hard to see. I'm far from being an expert but walk slowly. Twice this year I nearly stepped on a shed that if I hadn't been creeping, I would have missed. Several times I think to myself I've found a shed in a spot just like this before, looked down and saw one. Also, I've started to trust my sub conscious mind. If something tells you to look on the trail to the right, do it. I've had good luck with this. My theory is I might be seeing something my brain isn't quite registering. Or it could just look right. I've found a fair amount just getting out of the truck and on the way back to the truck. I think after awhile you can lose focus and during these times I'm concentrating more. Anyway, I didn't plan to write a book. The more you get out the more you'll find. Also wearing a lucky hat helps.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
Hard to see examples

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull