collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Make sure what you are shooting at is a turkey  (Read 10698 times)

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Make sure what you are shooting at is a turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
Happens every year. People wonder why some say stalking turkeys is a bad idea. I know 2 people who got shot at the same time back in NY turkey hunting, and as much as I hate to say it, I know an old guy who shot another hunter one year. That guy never hunted again because he couldn't stand the fact that he made a mistake and shot someone. 
Fortunately everyone was ok after a little healing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
Wow.  There was a thread on here last year about a guy in this state getting shot during turkey season.  Be careful out there.  Know your target and what lies beyond.  One of the most important rules to follow when hunting anything.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
how about not using a turkey fan as face camo? sounds like that's what they were doing? also a bad idea!

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
how about not using a turkey fan as face camo? sounds like that's what they were doing? also a bad idea!
This is not logic. Nothing supercedes our duty as hunters to be 100% sure of our target.Nothing. A man holding a fan does not look like a gobbler. Not even a little if the offender took the time to be certain.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:01:47 PM »
This is not logic. Nothing supercedes our duty as hunters to be 100% sure of our target.Nothing. A man holding a fan does not look like a gobbler. Not even a little if the offender took the time to be certain.
 :yeah:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »

You'd like to think so, but it's still a risk if you're going to do it.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to do it on public property.

Kind of like I should be able to leave my keys in the ignition.   I should be able to do it, but it's a bad idea.

My  :twocents:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »

Using a turkey fan in front of your face while in camo is tantamount to not looking both ways before you cross the street just because you, as a pedestrian, have the right of way and shouldn't have to. If you get hit by a car, it is indeed the driver's fault. That doesn't make you any less dead or disabled. Yes, the shooter should've been sure of his target and what lay beyond it. That doesn't make this victim any less shot. We have a responsibility to keep ourselves safe, as well as not shooting others.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:41:15 AM »
Sometimes, every once in a while... the dumb runs too deep.  :twocents:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »

Using a turkey fan in front of your face while in camo is tantamount to not looking both ways before you cross the street just because you, as a pedestrian, have the right of way and shouldn't have to. If you get hit by a car, it is indeed the driver's fault. That doesn't make you any less dead or disabled. Yes, the shooter should've been sure of his target and what lay beyond it. That doesn't make this victim any less shot. We have a responsibility to keep ourselves safe, as well as not shooting others.

I agree with all of it - only shoot what you know you should be shooting, and don't set yourself up to get shot.  If you expect everyone else out there to be as smart as you, you'll be very disappointed when reality hits in the form of some magnum turkey load.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
It is dumb to put oneself in that position in the first place. It is also dumb to theoretically shoot a turkey in the ass...let's face it...the guy who shot the turkey fan in front of the other guy's face was, in his mind, shooting a turkey in the ass.  Who's more dumber? It's a coin toss.

.02$

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Duckgtr

• Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:51:52 AM »
It is dumb to put oneself in that position in the first place. It is also dumb to theoretically shoot a turkey in the ass...let's face it...the guy who shot the turkey fan in front of the other guy's face was, in his mind, shooting a turkey in the ass.  Who's more dumber? It's a coin toss.

.02$

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »
Turkey hunting is the most dangerous of the hunting sports.  I know when I used to help teach hunter ed, it always had the highest rate of mistaken for game incidences reported across the nation.  You have guys either set up for turkeys or stalking them in full camo with decoys.  Be safe and know your intended target.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:10:04 AM by h2ofowlr »
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »
Turkey hunting is the most dangerous of the hunting sports.  I know when I used to help teach hunter ed, it always had the highest rate of mistaken for game incidences reported across the nation.  You have guys either set up for turkeys or stalking them in full camo with decoys.  Be safe so and know your intended target.

Exactly. One invisible/full camo'd guy making turkey noises with fake turkeys set up 20 yards in front of him with another guy stalking the turkey noises. Come over a rise and see turkey making noise, shoot other guy in the face.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:05:57 AM »
Just to make sure everyone is safe out there!

Learn all you need to know about turkey hunting and how to decoy right here:
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoors-T-K-Mike-Turkey-Huntin/dp/B000U8MTJW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_bs_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1EFZH56HMH294BZ8C7KG

some of what you will learn...
list=PLrxSwgx1VgLcO5Eqa-hjMEudem_YmXcSR
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]