collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone Turkey hunt in Idaho? Help lol  (Read 5418 times)

Offline HillSlick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Anyone Turkey hunt in Idaho? Help lol
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:22:55 AM »
Me and my buddy are over in Post Falls Idaho on some private property. And I'll be honest, we jus can't seem to do anything right. Just can't seem to get on any turkeys, the few we've gotten to gobble at us replied once and then disappeared. We've even been in some good spots where we heard them on the previous evening.

EDITED:

Here's what we've been doing:

1st day we are out at 6am- we hiked over to a spot we know they have frequented, it's a little clearing up on in the hills a little ways, wait for a few minutes for everything to quiet down, then let out a gobble to see if anyone's home, nothin, do we sit and wait for a while, intermittently calling with both hen clucks and gobbles to see if we can get anything to say hello. We do this until around 8 or 9 and then We headed back to rest and have lunch for a bit, come back around 11ish and try another spot, its a clearing on a hillside that's not far from the first clearing. We wait a few minutes then let out some hen clucks, and there's no reply, and continue to call every few minutes with hen clucks letting out the occasional gobble. This goes on for an hour or two with no response, so we head back and decide to try in the evening, since we saw a bunch on the way in the previous evening. We go back out around 5/5:30 and we just sit and listen, we let out a few hen clucks but nothing much. After a little while we hear a gobble way off in the distance, so we pack up and head in the direction, we walk a short ways and listen for a while, nothing, so we let out a gobble, nothin. We decide to sit and wait, finally just before sunset we hear a single gobble down the valley from the hillside we are on, we have our destination for the morning!

This time we got up at 4 and we were In a good spot not too far from where the gobble sounded like it came from well before sunrise. It struck us as odd that there were no vocalizations as the sun rose, not a single one that we heard, and when we let out a gobble (probably and hourish after sunrise) like I said we actually got a reply or two. I couldn't convince my partner to go after said turkeys so we sat and waited for two hours, letting out hen clucks every 10ish minutes and another gobble. Nothing. So we head back. After a suggestion by one of you wonderful fellows and talking to a lady at Cabelas that Turkey hunts, we were told to try from 10-2 and that they'd henned up already and wouldn't really locate for us, so we just headed back out to our spots to try and do our best. We saw multiple turkeys on our way to and from our spot but it was all on private land/someone's yard. We essentially repeated the same process by checking our couple different spots and letting out calls here and there.

Maybe we just got skunked? The spots we were in showed evidence of recent turkey activity. But no cigar. Not sure what we are doing wrong, if you have any tips or advice please comment. And as always I hope you are all doing very well and having much better luck than I lol, any and all help is always appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:45:05 PM by HillSlick »

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
Re: Anyone Turkey hunt in Idaho? Help lol
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
Update: we had to make a trip to the store for his folks and we saw a big Ole Tom with some hens on the way down in someone's yard, threw a couple gobbles at him and he didn't even run around to investigate, they're henned up, that's why we aren't hearin em.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
Update: we had to make a trip to the store for his folks and we saw a big Ole Tom with some hens on the way down in someone's yard, threw a couple gobbles at him and he didn't even run around to investigate, they're henned up, that's why we aren't hearin em.

i was going to say sounds like they are henned up. Typical one gobble and leave type of thing. Try to strike a bird from 10-2 that's when the toms will be the most vulnerable. Some or all of the hens will leave the toms by then.

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
Do you by chance know if they change elevations or prefer different elevations during different times of day?

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
It's really hard to say. From my limited experience they may travel up hill during the day to some degree. But that's not always the case, in my opinion turkeys are where you find them.

Offline dune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:16 AM »
If you get them to answer  once try to figure out which way they are going cut them off if you get a hen fried up keep her talking and wait.

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Leave him alone until 10 am then relocate him. Personally i never use a gobble to call ever. Several reasons. Are you using it to locate only or attempting to call them in with it?

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
Leave him alone until 10 am then relocate him. Personally i never use a gobble to call ever. Several reasons. Are you using it to locate only or attempting to call them in with it?

We are just trying to locate them with the gobble, and if one were to come a runnin' we wouldn't have complained lol that's kindof what's killed us I think, we couldn't locate any of them, and the one time we did get a response, I couldn't convince my partner that we should go after him because they won't come to us. I should probably edit my post to explain in more detail about what our method has been.

Offline inlandnwbow

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
Depends on how far off your gobble is. If it's faint, it's worth getting closer and trying to call again. Maybe try another locator call, crow or owl.

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Depends on how far off your gobble is. If it's faint, it's worth getting closer and trying to call again. Maybe try another locator call, crow or owl.

Yes I should invest in a different locator I think too, but I'm not sure what it should be. During the day there was actually a lot of crow activity, and they never responded to the crows goin off either, which also kindof threw me for a loop,

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
Truck door my go to locator. Close second to my horn. Lol

My 10 year old sneezed the other day. It worked too.

But really, add some locators to the bag. Honestly i typically run and gun all day with just my hen calls. Stop and call often. Once located determine if you have time to close the gap. I always try a least a little. Unless they are right on me.

Gobble scares me. Too many idiots shoot at sounds. Aa far as one running in to a gobble, 15 years chasing turks and plenty have hit the dirt, i have never seen one come to a gobble. My  :twocents:

Offline inlandnwbow

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
^ good advice!

But really, add some locators to the bag. Honestly i typically run and gun all day with just my hen calls. Stop and call often. Once located determine if you have time to close the gap. I always try a least a little. Unless they are right on me.

Gobble scares me. Too many idiots shoot at sounds. Aa far as one running in to a gobble, 15 years chasing turks and plenty have hit the dirt, i have never seen one come to a gobble. My  :twocents:

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »

Thank you for the reply! Other locators will be my investment for next year. And are you kidding or serious about the door and truck horn? Lol

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »

Thank you for the reply! Other locators will be my investment for next year. And are you kidding or serious about the door and truck horn? Lol

Lol. I cant even count how many birds got killed because i didnt shut my door quietly. Use my horn when roosting at night. Or coyote howl

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
Crow call can be a good locator call, coyote howl.  Flushed a mallard once off of a pond and as he circled quacking, got a gobble response.  Ended up calling him in and killing him, my first WA turkey way back in 1995.  When they are henned up bad, I don't even hit the woods until 0830ish.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]