collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Pronghorn antelope survey report  (Read 10609 times)

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: 2017 Pronghorn antelope survey report
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
Wyoming is in a steep decline with just over 300k head. Bringing some here may help their Antelope.It would be great if we could swing some kind of deal and bring in a few (10k-20k) to WA. to help them out.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
The only way antelope are being brought in to the state is by the tribes.

I'll add my only beef......and that is that it's done properly.  The BS of bleeding for TB and shipping that day is a no-no and I'm still a bit bitter it is/was allowed.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Slamadoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »
Reducing the wild horse population on the reservation would help all wildlife, including pronghorn.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
The BS of bleeding for TB and shipping that day is a no-no and I'm still a bit bitter it is/was allowed.

Translation?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
The BS of bleeding for TB and shipping that day is a no-no and I'm still a bit bitter it is/was allowed.

Translation?

Blood test for tuberculosis and then ship them the same day without waiting for the results of said tests.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »

Translation?

Blood test for tuberculosis and then ship them the same day without waiting for the results of said tests.

:tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
Correct.

Here is a link to Oregon's rules about shipping cattle.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/AnimalHealthFeedsLivestockID/AnimalImportExport/Pages/Cattle.aspx

Another link saying that you can't transport any infected animal.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=16-54-065

Or you can re-read it here from a few years ago.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,66202.100.html   Reply number 109 is where it started.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »
sounds reasonable to me Gringo,Thanks for bringing that up i had no idea about that.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
Any idea what the cost was got the original two transplants?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 07:33:44 AM »
Any idea what the cost was got the original two transplants?

Not sure. The tribe and SCI footed the bill for it I believe. WDFW declined participation.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 07:46:40 AM »
Too bad the conditions weren't optimal for the survey, I agree that you can't base too many conclusions on the survey. One conclusion I see, it's disappointing that no collared animals were spotted. For me that indicates we have reproduction in the herd but there is very little longevity. Thanks for the info jackelope. :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
To do it right, they should add new blood as well as fly for coyotes just prior to them fawning.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
To do it right, they should add new blood as well as fly for coyotes just prior to them fawning.

The survey was planned for earlier, but the weather was worse.

The other issue is finding volunteers to help with this sort of thing.  Plenty of folks are willing to put their .02 in a discussion forum like this, but when it's time for the rubber to hit the road, nobody is there to help. This is not aimed at you, Gringo. Just a general comment I've noticed.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

The other issue is finding volunteers to help with this sort of thing.  Plenty of folks are willing to put their .02 in a discussion forum like this, but when it's time for the rubber to hit the road, nobody is there to help. This is not aimed at you, Gringo. Just a general comment I've noticed.

It's always been that way and probably always will. You can usually count on 1 or 2 hands the people who actually get involved. We live in a busy world, often times there are people who would like to help if they could but they simply can't for any of many obvious reasons.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »

It's always been that way and probably always will. You can usually count on 1 or 2 hands the people who actually get involved. We live in a busy world, often times there are people who would like to help if they could but they simply can't for any of many obvious reasons.

I agree, and am guilty of it myself.
:tup:
Been there, (not) done that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg