collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Last weeks of the season tips?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Harleysboss

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Last weeks of the season tips?
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Never have hunted spring turkeys past the first week of May. So what are some tips for the last couple of weeks of the season? Will they still respond to calls and if so what sounds do you all use?

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Last weeks of the season tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:47:54 AM »
I've only killed birds in late season but all my experience is back in eastern states so I hope I can help you out. This is my personal :twocents: so take it for what you will.

1. I run a lone Hen for a decoy. At this point in the spring jakes have had their butts kicked and sometimes can be extra nervous coming into other male decoys.
2. They will respond to calls but sometimes if they are in higher pressure areas they won't. They will just slowly come in quiet to take a peak whats going on. Dont get frustrated if they aren't calling.
3.Birds have been talked to a bunch at this point, DONT OVER CALL. you will stick out like a sore thumb and that wise old tom will want nothing to do with you.
4. Late season there is a good chance they have hens that come to them daily. Therefore toms might not even bother to gobble. Find the hens and you'll find the toms.
5. 10-11am becomes more important as at this point the birds have a day to day routine where the hens go to their nest and the toms go looking for other hens to breed so make sure you dont pack it in early.
6. BURN BOOT LEATHER! if your hunting on public land this becomes critical as birds have been pushed around from hunters as well as other critters. Locator calls such as crow calls can really help you cover ground and locate birds. I do this after 7-8ish in the morning and before the 10-11am time frame.
7. Dont give up, cant kill them unless your out there.

best of luck I'll be doing the same  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand