collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Katahdin Sheep  (Read 25964 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Katahdin Sheep
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »
I just milked my ewes and froze colostrum and milk. I also had a handy goat dairy where I could get fresh goats milk if I was desperate. Never occured to me to buy replacer :dunno:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2018, 06:39:09 AM »
My mother in law pulls all her babies and bottle feeds them. Milks the does and bottle feeds them. She uses 12 ounce soda bottles with nipples on them. Feeds them all that way. She’s retired though. Has lots of time with them.  I think she does it to bond with the goats.  They all follow her around like puppy dogs everywhere she goes.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 07:29:28 AM »
He's doing well, figuring out the nipple thing pretty quick. 
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »
Awesome. Post some pics!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
What is everyone using to host photos now that photobucket is not an option?

I built a headgate today, worked great but he could just not figure out how to make them real teats work.  So he is being bottle fed again.
Fred Moyer

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2018, 08:55:54 PM »
What is everyone using to host photos now that photobucket is not an option?

I built a headgate today, worked great but he could just not figure out how to make them real teats work.  So he is being bottle fed again.

My IPhone, screen shot them then post.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »
I also used whole cows milk for the last two goat kids we bottle fed. They did GREAT. I read the same thing about replacer.
Gen:27:3

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
DO NOT FEED POWDERED MILK REPLACERS/FORMULA!
Milk Replacers Kill Baby Goats!!- Milk Replacers KILL Baby Goats!!! MILK REPLACERS KILL BABY GOATS!!!!!
I know this is ridiculous to put this way BUT Please people.. Trust me.. while there may be an unusual case of milk replacers NOT killing baby goats BUT they do more than they do not Unless the breeder is able to get the scouring baby turned around before they die! I cannot stress this hard enough.
Real whole milk, even raw milk from a cow, is much better for them than milk replacer , which can cause diarrhea and floppy kid syndrome. Very often, problems with bottle fed kids stem from the use of milk replacer. I cannot tell you how many emails and phone calls I get a week (sometimes so many in just a DAY) from gals who are losing kids due to kid milk replacers- Even the "best" replacers. "Even" the ones that say "kid replacer" Just don't use them. They are expensive and really not your best choice."

Funny, most of the folks on the Katahdin Sheep Breeder's page say don't use whole milk from a cow, sheep milk replacer is soo much better.  :)

I'm going to take your advice and give whole milk a shot.  I had another guy on the Katahdin Sheep Breeder's Facebook page who raises on average 100 bottle babies a year and gave the same advice as you gave.  He also said he's NEVER had an issue.  Many years ago when he used milk replacer he lost hundreds of babies one year.  Thanks again for your advice, I appreciate it!
Fred Moyer

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
DO NOT FEED POWDERED MILK REPLACERS/FORMULA!
Milk Replacers Kill Baby Goats!!- Milk Replacers KILL Baby Goats!!! MILK REPLACERS KILL BABY GOATS!!!!!
I know this is ridiculous to put this way BUT Please people.. Trust me.. while there may be an unusual case of milk replacers NOT killing baby goats BUT they do more than they do not Unless the breeder is able to get the scouring baby turned around before they die! I cannot stress this hard enough.
Real whole milk, even raw milk from a cow, is much better for them than milk replacer , which can cause diarrhea and floppy kid syndrome. Very often, problems with bottle fed kids stem from the use of milk replacer. I cannot tell you how many emails and phone calls I get a week (sometimes so many in just a DAY) from gals who are losing kids due to kid milk replacers- Even the "best" replacers. "Even" the ones that say "kid replacer" Just don't use them. They are expensive and really not your best choice."

Funny, most of the folks on the Katahdin Sheep Breeder's page say don't use whole milk from a cow, sheep milk replacer is soo much better.  :)

I'm going to take your advice and give whole milk a shot.  I had another guy on the Katahdin Sheep Breeder's Facebook page who raises on average 100 bottle babies a year and gave the same advice as you gave.  He also said he's NEVER had an issue.  Many years ago when he used milk replacer he lost hundreds of babies one year.  Thanks again for your advice, I appreciate it!

Your welcome.  :tup:

Just warm it up a little in the microwave in the bottles, they’ll suck the bottles dry quick.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
Another set of twins today, 2 ram lambs.  Doing great!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lH7BJqQAxCAcCLLA2
Fred Moyer

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »
Cute little buggers. :)

How are the bottle feeders doing?

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »
The bottle ram is doing outstanding.  Bigdave's daughter has been feeding him for the past week and he is doing fantastic!
Fred Moyer

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
The bottle ram is doing outstanding.  Bigdave's daughter has been feeding him for the past week and he is doing fantastic!

Nice to hear.  :tup:
He’ll follow you around forever like a dog. Just gotta keep the predators away from him, he won’t know to run from them.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 05:47:12 AM »

Nice to hear.  :tup:
He’ll follow you around forever like a dog. Just gotta keep the predators away from him, he won’t know to run from them.
Also if you keep him to maturity be careful when he starts getting randy, he may be harder to handle being so human bonded.

I have moments when I miss my sheep. I love the lamb pics.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]