collapse
Enter by February 22 Experience A Successful Turkey Hunt With Bearpaw Outfitters

Author Topic: Hen in full strut and gobbling?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Expedition Scout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
Hen in full strut and gobbling?
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »
Anyone seen such a thing? The hen has a small beard but it is a hen. When mimicking it's calls, it went into full strut and then even gobbled!

Any thoughts on this behavior?
"By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent"

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Old Salt
Re: Hen in full strut and gobbling?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
Yep it happens. Transvtit turkey.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »
I killed one a few years ago with a nice beard that was strutting and even mock bred a hen.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Online Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
I've never heard a hen gobble but I have seen them fanning and displaying amongst other hens.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Expedition Scout

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 09:22:01 PM »
Is it just aggressive behavior then?
"By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent"

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 09:36:31 PM »
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Expedition Scout

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing. one for the books for me as well.  :dunno:

Offline WaltAlpine

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
You can name it Caitlin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline gaddy

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
You can name it Caitlin

Well there goes turkey dinner  :puke:

Offline pcal

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:04 PM »
You can name it Caitlin
   Wrong analogy as in male to female.It would be better to refer a hen trany as a R.Maddow turkey.Rachel sure looks alot like the Wicked Pissah's capt.Paul Hebert of Wicked Tuna.Their laugh is
identical, too.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »
I've never heard a hen gobble but I have seen them fanning and displaying amongst other hens.
Same.  I have once watched a cow elk bugling in June.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
Here is a hen in full strut along with a tom. It's a dominance thing. She also had a weird gobble..
Providing a select few deer , bear , and turkey hunts  with meals and lodging provided.  Stevens County is right in the heart of the best hunting and fishing in the Northeast corner of the state . . Our Lodge is also a great place for your family reunion, summer vacation  509-722-3949  www.buckcanyon.net
Call me for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Westergard Real Estate Kettle Falls

Offline steeleywhopper

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
Its a sign of the times, Some men wanna be women and hen turkeys wanna be Tom's..... Go figure

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
My first turkey was a bearded hen in full strut.  Being a rookie, I wasn't even calling, but just set-up where the landowner told me to be with a college buddy.  A group of about 7 came into range in full display.  She was large, slightly larger than the two jakes with her, and had about a 6" beard.  She didn't gobble, but was in full strut.  She had a couple of polts with her, which I thought were hens, so I thought I was shooting the biggest mature bird.  Took her home and something seemed off with the spurs being nubs, and the coloring seemed a little dull.  Washington didn't have many turkey hunters at the time, but I found a buddy that hunts throughout the south who told me it was probably a hen.  I sent him photos (in the mail, this is dial-up internet days and disposable cameras in the hunting pack) and he confirmed.  The differences are obvious to me now, but as a rookie hunter I was confused as hell!   :dunno:
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
My first turkey was a bearded hen in full strut.  Being a rookie, I wasn't even calling, but just set-up where the landowner told me to be with a college buddy.  A group of about 7 came into range in full display.  She was large, slightly larger than the two jakes with her, and had about a 6" beard.  She didn't gobble, but was in full strut.  She had a couple of polts with her, which I thought were hens, so I thought I was shooting the biggest mature bird.  Took her home and something seemed off with the spurs being nubs, and the coloring seemed a little dull.  Washington didn't have many turkey hunters at the time, but I found a buddy that hunts throughout the south who told me it was probably a hen.  I sent him photos (in the mail, this is dial-up internet days and disposable cameras in the hunting pack) and he confirmed.  The differences are obvious to me now, but as a rookie hunter I was confused as hell!   :dunno:
On one of my first turkey hunts, a buddy and I were set up and calling to a flock that was flying down when a trespasser spooked the birds and they flew across the Laramie River into a large cottonwood bottom.  My buddy and I decided to separate and cross the river and post up at opposite ends of the cottonwood stand (about a mile long).  I watched a turkey walking along a slight rise just east of me, I thought I could see a beard but the bird was silhouetted by the rising sun.  It turned and I was "sure" I saw the beard turn with it, so I shot it.  Ran over to see a dead hen, I about puked before I flipped it over to see she had a beard. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Recent Topics