collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long Island campground access  (Read 2224 times)

Offline freezerfull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Tracker
Long Island campground access
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
I'm hoping someone familiar with the area would be willing to share some info on a few of my questions. I've been through the area a few times but have never been out on the island. This August I'm planning on exploring/scouting it for a long weekend and possibly ditching the 560 for a elk/bear trip on 699 come September. Is it possible to get a sled up near sawlog campground or do I need to to beach/ anchor on a beach with deeper access? Are campsites booked up in mid august or during elk season in mid September? I don't want to wind up in a pickle and have my sled down there and not be able to get a camping spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Re: Long Island campground access
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:11 AM »
Some good info here    https://www.fws.gov/refuge/willapa/visitor_activities/camping.html

see the "Hunting" link to the left

It states the campsites are all first come first served, except during archery elk season  :yike:

:twocents:

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
Depends that far up the slough, you might be waiting a while on the tide for getting in and getting out.  Which could make an emergency situation a pain. 

Offline freezerfull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I've read the refuge page over a few times, I understand you must register to camp during hunting season in advance but that is similar to a reservation which they do not take. I'll give them a call one of these days. I was hoping to get within a few hundred yards from camo with the boat but looks like that may only be possible at the south west corner camps.

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:45:49 PM »
Sawlog has a few spots that you can camp on the slew with your boat. The other spots at sawlog you have to take your camp gear up the hill up to about 100 yards from the slew to the upper camp spots. If you go make sure to anchor your boat out in the slew channel and not at the edge. If you do not you might end up with a swamped boat. Also Pay attention to the low tide and look at the channel. You will need to follow that so you do not hit an oyster bed or rocks or mud. If you are running a sled you might suck up eel grass into your pump from the bay and that will stop you dead. Make sure you know how to clear your motor.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal