collapse
Double U Hunting Supply Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Wyoming Super Cruiser  (Read 10142 times)

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Re: Wyoming Super Cruiser
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »
Great story so far!
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
We had some 12" round JC targets set out at 400, 500 and 700 yards near camp.  Spent some time in the mornings sending a few rounds downrange to confirm dope.  I like having confidence in my gear and validating that the system is dialed in.  It's one thing to confirm your rifles zero after a long road trip but it takes things to a whole other level when you can shoot at distance throughout a hunt. 

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Monday night we made a fireside decision to relocate the next morning to a different drainage. It was a more difficult to access area that would require several creek crossings with waters swollen from rapidly melting snow pack (thank God for strong horses) then a climb on foot up a steep ridge tangled with snow drifts and blowdown.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »
I considered the option of ending the hunt on Monday and heading home. I'm glad I didn't.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
Tuesday evening found us sitting on the spine of a ridge looking across a deep canyon toward a series of intersecting finger ridges.  This was our first time into this area so, to be honest, I wasn't terribly optimistic.  We spent several hours glassing waiting for the magical last light moments when bears often like to appear.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 06:49:27 PM »
At exactly 8:01 PM I was scanning the far side ridge passing from right to left when into the glass emerged a very large bear bathed in the light of the setting sun.  After spending nearly 40 hours behind optics this week it was an absolutely surreal moment to gaze upon this animal.  The pic below is as captured through the spotting scope at approx 750 yards.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:56:51 PM by CaNINE »

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 06:51:38 PM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :bfg:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »
OMG :yeah: :tup: :drool: :yike:

Offline Timberstalker

• Busch Lite Rocks
  • Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »
You can't leave us hanging.......
It's like blue balls!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
Sorry fellas I've been away from the family for almost two weeks so out having a celebratory beer with the wife. I promise to cap this story off in the morning. Trust me it has a happy ending.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • www.facebook.com/Nobaitjustbears
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
That bear even has a nose like a PIG! :tup:
Author of "No Bait Just Bears" and "The Ultimate Guide To Black Bear Hunting". Follow on Instagram: bozeandbears.

Offline Timberstalker

• Busch Lite Rocks
  • Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:54 PM »
Can't wait to see it unfold.  :tup:

Offline brew

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
wow...showed this pic to my wife and her comment was if i were a bear this is how i would look--old, kinda beat up around the face, a big sway belly and pi$$ed off at the world...congrats
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline huntingfool7

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »
tagging

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »
I whispered to my buddy..."there's a bear...and he's huge...that's him".  I gave a description on where to spot the bear and he started scanning.  Next thing I hear is "that's our super cruiser...holy @$%#".  The next 30 minutes were an absolute test for me.  We wanted to close the distance but knew we didn't have enough legal shooting light left to drop into the canyon and come up the other side.  The bear was moving down the ridge and would ultimately shave off a lot of yardage so we let him come.  We have video of him working his way down the finger ridge toward the canyon.  I had to convince myself I was looking at a bear and not a gorilla - he looked like a dump truck waddling down hill.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
During this time I spent some serious time connecting with the Lord and deep breathing.  My buddy kept me calm by saying this is what we came here for...this is what we've worked hard for all week...we've been taking these shots on steel all week.  This really helped relax me and allow me to focus.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:49:10 AM by CaNINE »

Offline Ddouble

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
Wow he's a beast

Offline Timberstalker

• Busch Lite Rocks
  • Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
My refresh button is broken........

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
By this time I'd established a solid shooting position and had the bear in the scope.  We were sitting on a downhill so I had built up a solid position using my pack, puffy coat in a stuff sack, and shooting sticks.  This position makes a very solid field rest and allows for a natural point of aim.  The kestrel was calling for 7.4 MOA up.  I dialed for 7.25 as I knew from shooting this week that I needed a little less dope.  He kept coming a few steps at a time.  My buddy kept repeating to me...break down the shoulders.  He knows from experience that these big bears are tough customers and breaking down the shoulders is the best way to anchor them.  I went through my mental checklist; wind? none; parallax adjusted; focus on the reticle, follow through on the trigger.... 

I told my buddy that I was on him and ready for the shot.  I recall him saying "as soon as he turns broadside...point of the shoulder".  I could see him plug his ears through my peripheral vision.  I took a couple deep breaths and started my trigger press. 

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »
On the 300WSM

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
The trigger break felt clean and the 200 grain Hornady ELD-X was on it's way at 2870 fps.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:48:21 PM by CaNINE »

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
Even with a good muzzle break (thank you benchmark barrels) I'm not quite able spot shots from this shooting position.  As I recovered from the recoil I could tell the bear had reacted to the shot.  It looked like he hunched but then started to move.  I chambered another round but was unable to get back on the bear before he was moving and gone behind some trees.  Even though he was ready for it, the muzzle blast blew my buddy off of his spotter long enough that he didn't spot the impact but he too thought the bear was hit.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
After the shot, we listened intently for crashing or moans but the distance and the creek sound in the drainage below made it impossible to hear.  The next few minutes we finally were able to mentally relax, take stock of what happened and recount events.  We were both still in disbelief that this magnificent bear had appeared and that we just took a shot at such a spectacular specimen.  I gave thanks to God and prayed that the shot was true.  We packed up our gear and started descending down the ridge to where the horses were tied. 

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 09:58:55 AM »
It's now dark and we reach the horses by headlamp.  We start riding, cross the creek and try to find our way up the other side.  We were both excited to confirm a hit and recover this bear.  Things got a little western as we pushed the horses up the ridge, around blowdown and over some slopes that defied common sense.  We stopped and got ourselves calmed down, dismounted and led the horses to a safe point where we tied them then climbed the rest of the way on foot.  No point in getting a horse hurt or one of us taking a fall.  More deep breathing required.

Offline CaNINE

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
We climb about 500 feet on foot to the spine where we last saw the bear.  With headlamps we do our best to pinpoint the exact location where the bear was standing at the shot.  Being careful not to disturb the area too much and damage sign we start searching for blood via headlamp.  We start to extend in the direction the bear was moving and pick up tracks.  No blood.  We stay on the trail and he's now moving in snow drifts (see pic above with dollar bill).  No blood in the snow.  How can that be I'm thinking.  We followed these tracks in the snow for approximately 50 yards and decide that pressing further in the dark at a potentially wounded bear was a bad idea.  We decided to come back in the morning to resume the search in daylight.  It was a long, quiet and depressing descent back down the mountain and ride back to camp.  Doubt had crept in and without finding any blood in the snow I was convinced that I had blown this opportunity.