collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches - Planning through the hunt  (Read 24807 times)

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Peaches
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
Cross #1 off the list, I bought BLM and the Sheriff's office map plus printed the GMU map from WDFW.  I also have the GMU boundaries on Google Earth.  That should get me started at least.
How do you get gmu boundaries on google earth? Congrats drawing a tag :tup: Good luck

Scroll down to the 5th post and you'll find the file.  Totally easy.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=202757.0
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:50 AM »
PM me I can send you in the right direction !
Congrats on a great draw !!!
Think 320++ for your Bull.
KD

Offline Brena.Hunter

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »
Congrats! My hunting partners and I also drew Peaches Any Bull, modern firearm. Two seperate parties and we were all drawn! And my cousins drew Goose Prairie. That's 8 Any Bull tags in camp! Could not be more pumped! Now to find where the monsters are hiding!

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
7 points, ha! Congrats on a great tag! It's big country and you have a great chance at finding a monster.

Offline scudmaster

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Aim Small, Miss Small!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
I was able to draw the Muzzy tag with 9 points.  Want to do a wilderness hunt.  If anyone had done this hunt, I would love to pick your brain.  Good luck to all, no matter what you drew.
NRA Life Member
WA Wild Sheep Life Member
Snoqualmie Elk Mgmt Group
RMEF Member
BHA Member
Blue Lives Matter

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
Well, more help than I expected, thanks to all who replied.  I will get back to those that offered help, but I need to do some work myself so I at least know what questions to ask.

I'm using onXmaps for desk scouting and it wasn't too bad to slice and dice the two areas.  Man, there are a ton of trails around there and many are high traffic.  That makes things a bit easier even though there are not many truly remote areas.

At this point, I had considered several general logistical plans for the hunt.  It will likely be a solo hunt unless something changes.

1.  Base camp at either a campsite, town or public land in my wall tent with day trips into a scouted area.
2.  Mobile camp in the back of my truck.  This allows big moves mid-hunt easily and is the best way to cover the most area.
3.  Living out of the ruck, leaving the truck at the trailhead or wall tent.

I won't know for sure until I get several scouting trips in, but #3 is clearly in the lead.  My preference is 3, 1 then 2, but conditions will dictate.  I'm looking for an epic hunting experience.

One thing I haven't pondered in my relatively short hunting career is what I will be happy shooting?  In the past, if it was legal I shot it.  I did pass a couple of true dink antelope last year, but they were so small it wasn't much of a decision.  I don't want to get ahead of myself, but right now my thought is a simple mature 6x6 would be awesome. 

I'm equally excited about the camping/backpacking as I really don't get much of an excuse to do either of these with normal family and job responsibilities.  I did a ton of both growing up in Montana, but not so much since.  This gives me the perfect reason to block of 10 + days and really enjoy the experience.

My delusion of not needing gear is getting corrected, I remember that I need a better set of game bags and likely a spotting scope.  Checking ElkNut's site, it looks like I need to save $600 - $1,000 plus a tripod.  That's a big investment that I might not use much in the future, but we'll see how necessary it is during the scouting trips.

The good news is the unit is only a bit over 2 hours from my house, so I should have good opportunities this summer.

Finally, I have a good training plan starting to take shape.  I am into Goruck events and they are about perfect for getting me into hunting shape.  Seattle has a big event in September, a great peaking event that gives me just enough time to recover and then hit it hard.  I have one other event mid-July and then it will be ruck focused training with as many hills as I can come up with.

I'm basically using the David Goggins plan (check him out if you don't know who he is) - "I chose the path of most resistance - talent not required."  I'm not a great elk hunter, but I am willing and able to outwork most and love to learn.  I believe that will be enough to at least make a great experience.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »
Epic = Base camp, and maybe invite a couple huntwa guys for the first couple days too or to scout the two days before the season.     Lotsa guys willing to help to piggyback on your adventure which is a good thing for all. 

I'll be helping buddies in the Goose.  Good Luck !

Offline Roperfive88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 10:31:26 PM »
My buddy drew a couple years ago and the one scouting trip I went on there was minimal use for my spotting scope lots of timber but like I said only went once.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
I'd be thinking about how you're going to get a bull packed out. Especially if you're going solo. Easy to hike 5-10 miles in by yourself, but if you shoot something how are you going to ge it out?  Just something to keep in mind as you're scouting and hunting. 

I use 200 thread pillow cases from walmart for game bags. They're tough, hold plenty of meat and cost about $12 for 4.

Spotting scope is nice if you really want to inspect the horns but not really necessary for finding elk.

Offline scudmaster

• Scout
  • Aim Small, Miss Small!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »
@Stein, another idea is to try a tripod for your binos.  taking that movement out of them really reduces (not eliminate) the spotting scope.  Maybe easier on the budget if you have to choose. 
NRA Life Member
WA Wild Sheep Life Member
Snoqualmie Elk Mgmt Group
RMEF Member
BHA Member
Blue Lives Matter

Offline Wingin it

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
I have a set of 12x50's and they are awesome on the tripod.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »
I was able to draw the Muzzy tag with 9 points.  Want to do a wilderness hunt.  If anyone had done this hunt, I would love to pick your brain.  Good luck to all, no matter what you drew.
with that tag u don't need to go i to the wildernes to get a 330+ bull but a
good true wilderness hunt that u can get the meat out fast enough with out horses: start at cement basin.  u get there by east bound hw 410 about 10min after u reach the summit of Chinook Pass and start to descend on the left hand side you'll see a blue sign "bear Gap" take that left follow that road as far as you can and hike straight up the hill fastest way to get there is just a bust brush beeline straight up. then u will see cement basin on your GPS or map. head that way.  on the way and a few miles past it up will find lots of good places to hunt. some times u will be competing with the Outfitters and guides but from my experience I've had them treat me with respect. About 13 years ago who i think was Chinook Pass Outfitters was up there with a few clients and they were very nice and respectful even gave us a few pointers.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:12:43 PM by scoutdog346 »

Offline Brena.Hunter

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
Hey guys. I've been hunting the 346 since I was a kid, but for whatever reason have never headed over to Norse Peak. I guess you tend to stay in the areas you know. But this is my first time drawing an Any Bull tag in Peaches, so I am wondering what people's opinion is regarding the Wilderness area. Do you reckon the chances of a decent bull are better by going deep into the Wilderness area? Or stick to the areas I already know? I should note, I'm not a road hunter. I go deep and hunt my tail off, but I don't want to waste this tag and I don't seem to come across the big boys in the areas I go. I've seen there are some outfitters that do drop camps, which I am contemplating. But just wanted to hear from others who have spent time in Norse Peak. Thanks in advance.

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »
I did a drop camp in Norse peak last year for the peaches bull tag. Found no elk in a week where we were. Came out and  Shot a bull first day out in an area I actually hunt.... would've been a lot cheaper and more comfortable to go with what we knew  all along.

Offline Brena.Hunter

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »
Thanks for the insight deerlick - I wondered if that might be the case. I am thinking maybe sticking to where I know and perhaps throwing a spike camp in Norse Peak for a night or two? I imagine the reason people are successful in Norse Peak is because they know it already, like I know the area I stick to.

I guess I'm just concerned because I am normally targeting spikes, so I'm not sure where the monsters are hiding!  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]