collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got a little chuck shooting in this weekend - photos of one of our benches  (Read 2323 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Saturday morning we had to wait until a pivot that was parked in front of the rock wall we were wanting to shoot moved, but it was still a good morning's shoot.  Bridget is right handed, but left eye and prefers to shoot off her left shoulder (thank God) and someone forgot to put the lefthand bench in the truck before we left Tacoma.  We had three right hand benches in Eburg and Bridget prefers to shoot off a bench instead of her tall Harris Bipod so we went with what we had.  She was going for one to taxidermy and her first shot was a solid head shot @~ 90 yards and didn't leave much to taxidermy.  Her second shot was close miss @~ the same range, but she connected with her followup shot but the chuck was extensively damaged.  She got three others @~ 125 yards that were smaller and there wasn't much left of them.  The photo of her with five fingers up is for five dead chucks.  We shot for ~ 3 hours Saturday and then spent the rest of the day doing other things she wanted to do like going to Walmart and dinner then she wanted to go climb Wildhorses again. 

Sunday morning she was determined to get one to taxi and we talked it over and she decided that she needed to make a heart shot.  We shot another property and switched out to her tall Harris Bipod and she was shooting sitting on the ground.  I finally spotted a big one and she waited it out, only it's head and shoulders were up off and on for ~ 45 minutes.  Finally she said: cock, I think he is coming all the way out.  As soon as I was back looking through my binocular I saw that she had hit it square, but did not see where.  When we picked it up it was shot right in the heart. 

We shot until ~ noon Sunday and then fooled around Eburg, got a cheeseburger at The Tav and then went up to the wind farm and went for a nice hike. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:35:16 AM by JDHasty »

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
That is some good shooting for such a young gal, Nice  :tup:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
That is awesome man 😊
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Here's a thread on Bridget's rifle and how it is set up.  The lace on cheek pad is a KKK from Cabelas.

This setup is working out extremely well for her.  If anyone else is looking to set a kid up for 250 yard chuck/prairie dog shooting this is a great way to go.  I shot it last year with a different stock set on it.   

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,190659.msg2602217.html#msg2602217

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]