collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP

Author Topic: Rattlers  (Read 1407 times)

Offline dc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Rattlers
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Going to be at the Potholes State Park in August and want to find a snake or 2.  I have ventured many miles around the seep lakes around the potholes, and have yet to run into one.  Any suggestions?

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
Re: Rattlers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
drive the dirt roads right before dark
the will be lying in the road usually
Keep the wind in your hair, and the sun at your back.

"Mighty hunter, yes?
Fine figure of a man, yes?
That is all you need to know."

Offline bowhunterforever

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
drive the dirt roads right before dark
the will be lying in the road usually
:yeah:   but just after dark is better
You know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline flatbkman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »
Just remember to be nice an kind to any that you find as they will not hurt you unless you hurt them.

Offline gaddy

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
Look around below the rocky bluff areas. I used to see them all the time when I hiked around there to different fishing spots. I always swatted the sage brush next to the trails with the tip of my pole. A lot of time that will light them up.
Right below Mar Don is Corral lake, below that is Blyth. Lots of rocky areas down there. Sounds like you know the area and I am surprised you haven't come across any.
One time I had my soon to be bride with me. We walked around this bluff to a spot I used to catch bass, not 30 yd's from the truck. I caught the largest bass I have ever had on and asked her to run back for a net. On her way back, just a few yards from me, on the same trail we have been using, she brushed up against a sage bush with the net. The entire place lit up, she threw the net at me and bolted for the truck. I had to take the long way around the bluff to get back. Needless to say she refused to ever go back there.
Any way, Here's the thought behind this all. And this is how we caught them when I was young. During the heat of the day I have found that they will seek shade under the brush and hang out. You can walk right by with out noticing them. Agitate them while they are resting and they will let you know where they are.
Be careful! I have all but stepped on them before I knew they there.

Online cbond3318

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
Look around below the rocky bluff areas. I used to see them all the time when I hiked around there to different fishing spots. I always swatted the sage brush next to the trails with the tip of my pole. A lot of time that will light them up.
Right below Mar Don is Corral lake, below that is Blyth. Lots of rocky areas down there. Sounds like you know the area and I am surprised you haven't come across any.
One time I had my soon to be bride with me. We walked around this bluff to a spot I used to catch bass, not 30 yd's from the truck. I caught the largest bass I have ever had on and asked her to run back for a net. On her way back, just a few yards from me, on the same trail we have been using, she brushed up against a sage bush with the net. The entire place lit up, she threw the net at me and bolted for the truck. I had to take the long way around the bluff to get back. Needless to say she refused to ever go back there.
Any way, Here's the thought behind this all. And this is how we caught them when I was young. During the heat of the day I have found that they will seek shade under the brush and hang out. You can walk right by with out noticing them. Agitate them while they are resting and they will let you know where they are.
Be careful! I have all but stepped on them before I knew they there.

But did you land the fish!?!?
"All those who love Nature she loves in return, and will richly reward, not perhaps with the good things, as they are commonly called, but with the best things of this world-not with money and title, horses and carriages, but with bright and happy thoughts, contentment and peace of mind."

John Lubbock

Offline gaddy

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
Well Hell yes! Not going to let a snake keep me from the biggest bass of my life. My gal was a bit pissed that I didn't run after her but hey, there were snakes !!

Online cbond3318

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
Well Hell yes! Not going to let a snake keep me from the biggest bass of my life. My gal was a bit pissed that I didn't run after her but hey, there were snakes !!

:chuckle: :tup:
"All those who love Nature she loves in return, and will richly reward, not perhaps with the good things, as they are commonly called, but with the best things of this world-not with money and title, horses and carriages, but with bright and happy thoughts, contentment and peace of mind."

John Lubbock

Online Pegasus

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
You want rattlers? Try the Yakima canyon next to the river. They are everywhere. Walked over one on a trail and finally realized it with one leg already crossed over it. I hopped into the air. My son who was close behind me got to see the snake strike and miss my leg by a hair. All I could hear was my son yelling "That snake tried to bite you, Dad". Needless to say we were a bit more careful after that. Every time I got on a trail in snake country for the next year I imagined every stick laying across the trail might be a rattler and approached it with caution.

* Recent Topics

WTS Feathered Friends Snowbunting 0 Degree Mummy Bag 6' Reg FINAL PRICE DROP by stringer
[Today at 07:50:24 PM]

Sitka Ascent jacket and Core Crew short sleeve shirt by T-Dozzer
[Today at 07:35:20 PM]

WTS- S&W 629 Classic .44 Mag by Fl0und3rz
[Today at 07:31:57 PM]

Wilson's Snipe: New Hunter initiation Success! by Pegasus
[Today at 07:18:59 PM]

Blacktail Rut? by fishnfur
[Today at 07:15:37 PM]

Well, this is gonna be different..... by fishnfur
[Today at 07:12:20 PM]

For Sale- 7mm LR Package by Ridge Hunter
[Today at 07:11:40 PM]

My best muzzy buck by fishnfur
[Today at 07:06:04 PM]

Does anyone actually rinse their deer with a hose after it has been skinned?WHY? by JDHasty
[Today at 07:05:58 PM]

Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll) by sneakyjake
[Today at 07:05:37 PM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by fishnfur
[Today at 07:01:26 PM]

Sons first buck by actionshooter
[Today at 06:58:26 PM]

Entiat - Slide Ridge, few deer and hunters by HuntnFishnRyan
[Today at 06:56:46 PM]

Coyote down by Special T
[Today at 06:50:08 PM]

Custom Rifle for Next Year ? Act now - Almost too late to order... by Biggerhammer
[Today at 06:49:36 PM]

For Sale: Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter Pack by BKMFR
[Today at 06:45:44 PM]

jennabug's first deer story by Southpole
[Today at 06:42:28 PM]

Notched My Multi-Season Tag This Mornin' by WapitiTalk1
[Today at 06:41:30 PM]

WTS: New Honda Marine 3 Gal/12L Fuel Tank W/Gauge/Quick Connect by stringer
[Today at 06:29:55 PM]

Elkfever's Peaches Ridge Hunt by Elkfever
[Today at 06:16:41 PM]