collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rattlers  (Read 3825 times)

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Rattlers
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Going to be at the Potholes State Park in August and want to find a snake or 2.  I have ventured many miles around the seep lakes around the potholes, and have yet to run into one.  Any suggestions?

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
Re: Rattlers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
drive the dirt roads right before dark
the will be lying in the road usually
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
drive the dirt roads right before dark
the will be lying in the road usually
:yeah:   but just after dark is better
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline flatbkman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »
Just remember to be nice an kind to any that you find as they will not hurt you unless you hurt them.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
Look around below the rocky bluff areas. I used to see them all the time when I hiked around there to different fishing spots. I always swatted the sage brush next to the trails with the tip of my pole. A lot of time that will light them up.
Right below Mar Don is Corral lake, below that is Blyth. Lots of rocky areas down there. Sounds like you know the area and I am surprised you haven't come across any.
One time I had my soon to be bride with me. We walked around this bluff to a spot I used to catch bass, not 30 yd's from the truck. I caught the largest bass I have ever had on and asked her to run back for a net. On her way back, just a few yards from me, on the same trail we have been using, she brushed up against a sage bush with the net. The entire place lit up, she threw the net at me and bolted for the truck. I had to take the long way around the bluff to get back. Needless to say she refused to ever go back there.
Any way, Here's the thought behind this all. And this is how we caught them when I was young. During the heat of the day I have found that they will seek shade under the brush and hang out. You can walk right by with out noticing them. Agitate them while they are resting and they will let you know where they are.
Be careful! I have all but stepped on them before I knew they there.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
Look around below the rocky bluff areas. I used to see them all the time when I hiked around there to different fishing spots. I always swatted the sage brush next to the trails with the tip of my pole. A lot of time that will light them up.
Right below Mar Don is Corral lake, below that is Blyth. Lots of rocky areas down there. Sounds like you know the area and I am surprised you haven't come across any.
One time I had my soon to be bride with me. We walked around this bluff to a spot I used to catch bass, not 30 yd's from the truck. I caught the largest bass I have ever had on and asked her to run back for a net. On her way back, just a few yards from me, on the same trail we have been using, she brushed up against a sage bush with the net. The entire place lit up, she threw the net at me and bolted for the truck. I had to take the long way around the bluff to get back. Needless to say she refused to ever go back there.
Any way, Here's the thought behind this all. And this is how we caught them when I was young. During the heat of the day I have found that they will seek shade under the brush and hang out. You can walk right by with out noticing them. Agitate them while they are resting and they will let you know where they are.
Be careful! I have all but stepped on them before I knew they there.

But did you land the fish!?!?
Just tend your own and live.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
Well Hell yes! Not going to let a snake keep me from the biggest bass of my life. My gal was a bit pissed that I didn't run after her but hey, there were snakes !!

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
Well Hell yes! Not going to let a snake keep me from the biggest bass of my life. My gal was a bit pissed that I didn't run after her but hey, there were snakes !!

:chuckle: :tup:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
You want rattlers? Try the Yakima canyon next to the river. They are everywhere. Walked over one on a trail and finally realized it with one leg already crossed over it. I hopped into the air. My son who was close behind me got to see the snake strike and miss my leg by a hair. All I could hear was my son yelling "That snake tried to bite you, Dad". Needless to say we were a bit more careful after that. Every time I got on a trail in snake country for the next year I imagined every stick laying across the trail might be a rattler and approached it with caution.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:34 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]