collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Delorme Inreach SE vs Garmin  (Read 10536 times)

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
Re: Delorme Inreach SE vs Garmin
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
I use a Delorme Inreach for texting and in case of an Emergency.
Then I also use a Garmin GPSMap64s for my onx maps.

I wish it was one unit but for now it works fine. And the Delorme comes out of its holster twice a day tops, whereas the Garmin is used frequently for navigation.

Cell Phone is just used for photos.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 04:28:41 PM »
I used the Delorme Inreach out in the wilderness and it is awesome.  It doesn't get signals in thick brush quite as well as my gps, but I didn't have any trouble getting or receiving messages.  My plans changed while I was on the trail, so it saved me having to back out and call my wife.  Bluetooth to my phone was flawless, that was my one big worry.  Battery life was much better than expected.

Overall, I couldn't be happier.  It is one of those things that once you get it you can't figure out how you got along without it.  I hunt solo all the time and keeping my wife updated all the time really helps me get more time out in more places.  I get to hunt more and she knows I'm not making my way through a bear's intestine.

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
Thanks for this thread. I was going to rent a Sat phone for my upcoming High country buck hunt in Colorado. It would have been about $270 for a 10 day rental. Went ahead and bought a InReach new off eBay for $225 with free shipping. Will be a nice way to communicate when needed.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
You will like it.  Make sure to go through the registration process and test it out at home, there are a few minor things you need to know how to do.  You can also set up any three standard messages that you can send for free, I changed ours to match what we need.

I set mine up to not automatically send waypoints to save on cost, I will send a standard message at the trailhead, a few "all clear" type messages during the day and then the third standard message is "camping here" to show where I end up.

I also use the same charger I use for my phone just in case I need to charge the InReach, make sure you have the right cable.

After my first day using it I had it down pat, just practice at home.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
You will like it.  Make sure to go through the registration process and test it out at home, there are a few minor things you need to know how to do.  You can also set up any three standard messages that you can send for free, I changed ours to match what we need.

I set mine up to not automatically send waypoints to save on cost, I will send a standard message at the trailhead, a few "all clear" type messages during the day and then the third standard message is "camping here" to show where I end up.

I also use the same charger I use for my phone just in case I need to charge the InReach, make sure you have the right cable.

How long can you make your 3 standard messages?  Definitely looking at getting the garmin. My wife and I have a 2.5 yr old and a 10 mo old. She wants to be able to get a hold of me if something happens with my boys. But also wants to be able to hear from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline Jayfire83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
Make sure you get the Explorer+ if you do.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
Another vote for the Delorme Inreach I bought one for my Goat hunt last year and it worked flawless.
IAFF #3728

Offline BDildine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.dildine
  • Groups: TSC,, NRA Life, RMEF, PF
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 01:26:13 AM »
Looked into getting one, with everything going on this year, really didn't look to be feasible, but low and behold, found an excellent used one on offerup, gentleman sold it to me for $100, came with everything, told me to call if I had any questions or issues. Just another route for those on a tight budget like me

Offline Saltdiver

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:41 AM »
The DeLorme is great! Loaned mine to a friend running a small boat from Whittier Ak to Juneau across the Gulf of Alaska. First text he sent was 'can I use hydraulic fluid instead of engine oil in an emergency?' Then, 'can't get ahold of the coast guard or anyone on VHF'. So I called the coast guard for him, gave them my login information for the unit so they could track his location and send and view messages. Got ahold of a class A guy in yakatat to run out 85 miles to deliver more engine oil, while the CG sent a cutter from Valdez. Without this thing, nobody would know where they were. Just a small boat adrift in a big ocean. Literally a lifesaver. I'm gonna have this thing surgically attached to my body

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 08:01:43 AM »

How long can you make your 3 standard messages?  Definitely looking at getting the garmin. My wife and I have a 2.5 yr old and a 10 mo old. She wants to be able to get a hold of me if something happens with my boys. But also wants to be able to hear from me.

160 characters, but there are only three preset messages.

I used mine quite a bit last scouting trip including pulling a weather message just to see what they looked like.  Grand total for the extra texts was only $9 extra for 27 texts, 10 presets and one weather message.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
I just searched the App Store and can’t seem to find an app to use with my inreach? Anyone have the name or a screen shot of what it looks like?? Thanks!

Offline grimace

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks!

Offline wendigo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
The map function on the new one leaves a lot to be desired. Get the cheap one and download onx for your phone and you will be way ahead.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter