collapse

Author Topic: Breaking wolf news  (Read 14212 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
Re: Breaking wolf news
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
It sounds from the article like they're not removing the whole pack. Is that what you get, Jackelope?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
Saw where a calf was killed by the Sherman pack yesterday.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »
When will the WDFW admit the wolf plan is total garbage and scrap it in favor of a better plan?  How much money is the state throwing away on wolves?

:bash:

Open up wolf hunting.  Should be the same rules as coytes IMO.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((>` ><((((>. ><((((>.><((((>

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »
Agreed, and they will still be a problem, which is why they were eventually targeted even more aggressively in the past. 

Offline Henrydog

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
They have no interest in addressing the problem, there are too many pointless high paying jobs associated with the "recovery"  From reading this is appears WFWD just could not find the shooter did anything wrong.  What a waste of time and money

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »
When will the WDFW admit the wolf plan is total garbage and scrap it in favor of a better plan?  How much money is the state throwing away on wolves?

:bash:

Open up wolf hunting.  Should be the same rules as coytes IMO.

Along the lines of what I was going to say.  You spend $$$ to bring in wolves and then not much later you have to spend more $$$ to control the size of the packs or the cattle depredation of the packs.   It seems inane to have brought them in and shortly after control the numbers of them. 

I say if the "public" wants them then either have the "public" pony up the funds to manage them..... or have the public be satisfied with viewing them in zoos.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
I agree it's all a waste of money, and there's no end to killing problem wolves. But, to set the record straight, nobody spent any money to bring wolves into Washington. They walked across the border with no help from us.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:00:37 AM »
I agree it's all a waste of money, and there's no end to killing problem wolves. But, to set the record straight, nobody spent any money to bring wolves into Washington. They walked across the border with no help from us.

I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you.

Offline nwwanderer

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
Altering behavior by killing a few, that has never been tried.  Wait, the Neanderthals did the same and all have been using this method ever since.  Nearly a hundred thousand years and the wolf is still one of the most successful, widely distributed and populated predators on the planet.  Throw some more money at it WDFW.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
What this article proves is that all this B'S the department has sold cattlemen doesn't work. It just delays the inevitable.

And some people wondered why cattlemen were hesitant to sign up for this program...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »

We've been spending buckets of it ever since. And don't believe for a minute we didn't spend money to establish the wolf plan. Studies, experts, hearings, electronics - we spent plenty "letting them come in."

"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline quadrafire

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:56:24 AM »
Anyone know what the cost is to the producer to hire "WDFW contracted range riders"?
Sounds expensive to me.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:42 AM »
Last time I looked at it WDFW shared the expense with Conservation Northwest. Not sure that's still true, it's been a few years since I looked at it.

I thought about doing it, but all you do is ride around looking for dead cattle  :dunno:
I should be out hunting lions, thanks WDFW

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

We've been spending buckets of it ever since. And don't believe for a minute we didn't spend money to establish the wolf plan. Studies, experts, hearings, electronics - we spent plenty "letting them come in."

Of course the state has spent a ton of money on wolf management / wolf studies. No argument there. I was only pointing out that the state didn't bring the wolves here, as many people mistakenly seem to believe.

Offline JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
I wonder if LPCs on calves might work.  That would remove offending wolves from the pack and teach the rest of the pack a valuable lesson at the same time.  I know they work well for coyote predation on sheep, but don't know if they have been used on cattle for use against wolves. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »

Of course the state has spent a ton of money on wolf management / wolf studies. No argument there. I was only pointing out that the state didn't bring the wolves here, as many people mistakenly seem to believe.

Moot point. The spending is astronomical. And, the people who believe wolves were physically transplanted will never be convinced otherwise.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, RMEF, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
The ranchers grazing Smackout told me they were afraid this would be the year they get hit because they lost two cattle last year near the end of grazing season. Looks like the wolves were just waiting for more beef. The ranchers have completely cooperated and have jumped through every hoop since the beginning to satisfy WDFW and Conservation Northwest, they have kept a range rider on the ground 24/7 watching the cattle and hazing wolves. The simple fact is that wolves like eating livestock.

Anyone know what the cost is to the producer to hire "WDFW contracted range riders"?
Sounds expensive to me.

I think a good portion is funded by WDFW and/or Conservation Northwest.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself" Hunting Maps" 
http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided, Semi-Guided, Unguided, and Drop Camp Hunts in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Washington. Hunts with tags available (no draw) spring bear, fall bear, buffalo, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, wolf!

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, RMEF, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
I almost forgot to mention this is the same pack that attacked my neighbor a couple years ago while hunting elk. Several had been flanking him, he heard a noise to one side turned and shot it in mid air jumping at him! Good thing he got off the shot! (this was all quietly confirmed by WDFW and received very little publicity)
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided, Semi-Guided, Unguided, and Drop Camp Hunts in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Washington. Hunts with tags available (no draw) spring bear, fall bear, buffalo, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, wolf!

Offline quadrafire

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
I almost forgot to mention this is the same pack that attacked my neighbor a couple years ago while hunting elk. Several had been flanking him, he heard a noise to one side turned and shot it in mid air jumping at him! Good thing he got off the shot! (this was all quietly confirmed by WDFW and received very little publicity)
:yike:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
Been in the middle of them a couple times.    They are pretty "hawkie" already.    It wont be long before its a two legger that gets nailed. 

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Been in the middle of them a couple times.    They are pretty "hawkie" already.    It wont be long before its a two legger that gets nailed.

:yeah:  Fortunately I have not been in a bad situation yet, but my son has a few times at night walking out with his dogs in Idaho. But in Idaho they are being hunted now and are much more elusive than they were 5 or 10 years ago. They just need to delist in WA, after a few shots are fired wolves really smarten up!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »

Moot point. The spending is astronomical. And, the people who believe wolves were physically transplanted will never be convinced otherwise.
[/quote]

Well if wolves weren't transplanted and northern pike weren't transplanted either and just travelled across the border, how come we are netting pike and promoting wolves?   

Offline Curly

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
There are not many Pike huggers out there.  Wolves are cute........  :rolleyes:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((>` ><((((>. ><((((>.><((((>

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »

Well if wolves weren't transplanted and northern pike weren't transplanted either and just travelled across the border, how come we are netting pike and promoting wolves?
[/quote]

Because DOW and HSUS aren't trying to increase fishing opportunities. They're trying to eliminate hunting. The WDFW and our esteemed governor are listening to them and doing what they're told.

* Recent Topics

Bullet choice question by Magnum_Willys
[Today at 12:16:41 AM]

Bear Kinda blonde by bowhunterforever
[Yesterday at 11:24:07 PM]

325 WSM?..... by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 11:22:43 PM]

My .45 Raptor AR10 barrel was delivered today. by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 11:19:41 PM]

Glass bedding question by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 11:15:16 PM]

Otter by Kit Carson
[Yesterday at 11:14:17 PM]

OnX Map Hunt chip update by biggfish
[Yesterday at 11:02:11 PM]

300 WSM vs 300 Win mag by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 10:53:29 PM]

Looking for advice on a scope for a 22lr by DJ_Mack
[Yesterday at 10:40:10 PM]

.300 BLK load thread by hunter399
[Yesterday at 10:27:54 PM]

Jim Findlay Memorial Match by mountainman
[Yesterday at 10:26:01 PM]

BC Spring Black Bear Hunts. Ambush Outfitters by Kent Hunter
[Yesterday at 10:25:06 PM]

Colorado elk units by mtmn35rem5
[Yesterday at 10:19:37 PM]

New Dodge 2017 3500 BigHorn Opinion? by Boss .300 winmag
[Yesterday at 10:17:19 PM]

New binos advice by Mtnwalker
[Yesterday at 09:48:33 PM]

First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu by thinkingman
[Yesterday at 09:33:45 PM]

Heads up, Incoming BAD legislation, rattle the cages POLITELY in Olympia by Special T
[Yesterday at 09:21:37 PM]

ISO: Toyota 4Runner by Mtnwalker
[Yesterday at 09:15:07 PM]

.223 by Special T
[Yesterday at 09:11:07 PM]

FS Outdoorsman's Optics Hunter Pack by Wilderness Pack Specialties by aorams
[Yesterday at 09:07:33 PM]