collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Spray vs Pistol while hunting in GRIZ country.....  (Read 15798 times)

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Re: Bear Spray vs Pistol while hunting in GRIZ country.....
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
For everyone voting rifle (and I agree) do you really carry your rifle back in for a second meat haul?
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »
I always like to share this VID from F. Eichler when we discuss this topic. I seriously doubt if a "pfffssst" sound would have stopped this mama brown bear like the big boom did. The big boom in itself, is a pretty darn good deterrent for a startled bear (I've used it a few times myself on annoying black bears and saw it in action once on Chichagoff Island (sp?) outside of Sitka while doing a nature hike on the island my pop was logging on). The effects of pepper spray are nasty indeed but I'm not so sure that they are as immediate in their desired effect to "turn" a big bear as 1. the big boom and certainly 2. nervous system disruption by a big chunk of lead being blasted through muscle, bone, organs.  One other downfall of spray is that is affected by wind, and, cannot be shot through tent material.  Good discussion folks, please keep it going.  RJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi_Krx6C_7w

Here is a good discussion with a guy that deals with grizzlies for his job along with links to other papers with a ton of facts.

http://www.themeateater.com/2016/the-cold-hard-facts-of-bear-deterrents-bear-spray-vs-firearms/

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »
The comparative studies don't delineate between hikers and hunters packing meat or moving solo in the vicinity of a fresh kill. I think this means that they are mixing surprise encounters with those in which the bear has arrived with a specific purpose. It is. Lear that spray works better in the former case, not so clear in the latter.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
I don't own any bear spray,but maybe both if really worried.
Maybe the one you feel more comfortable with.
Your choice on how to protect yourself in the woods.

Here some good reading on the subject,along with a few quotes from the artical.

http://www.explorebigsky.com/why-wasnt-bear-spray-more-effective-in-todd-orrs-grizzly-attack

Everything inside 30 feet exists within what Bartlebaugh calls the “potential contact zone,” meaning you can expect bear spray to minimize the length and severity of an attack, but not prevent it.

After the initial encounter, Orr wrote that he “half hiked, half jogged down the trail” toward his truck, which was parked 3 miles away. Five to 10 minutes later, the sow was on him again.

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »
On my 3rd Alaska trip my pilot had 2 old friends killed in their tent, they had everything.

Weeks later another client was rushed from behind by a griz in the willows.  After taking a chunk of his leg it got him face down and started eating his pack.  He got his spray and just  sprayed straight up.   The griz disappeared.   

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
I'm always curious to know who of you think you have the wherewithal to accurately place a killing/disabling shot or 3 into a big bear when it's pissed off and coming for you at 20+mph. Lots of talk, but when the ish hits the fan.... what's going to give you the best opportunity to slow/stop/turn that bear?? A rifle with a scope on it would be my last consideration, unless of course it was all I had. There's a reason the guides in AK real bear country and in Africa that carry rifles  as defense guns don't have scopes on their rifles.

My thought on this subject exactly

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »
The other consideration that is not made in the article is that that 90% success rate of spray likely has a critical flaw in that there are a larger number of bearanoid idiots carrying spray than firearms and when these people see a bear they deploy the spray and holler while spraying it when the bear is on the other side of the meadow. Bear sees the dinkus and runs off, +1 for bear spray!

I have seen spray deployed on one decent black bear boar from the porch of a cabin, bear was seriously pissd off and would have eaten the perp if the deck was not so high and the door was not bolted. Bear proceeded o eat up the deck railings and put claw marks on the door. I have also seen bears hazed by cracker shells and rubber bullets, much more effective.

Offline Labs07

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
A bit of a rant here but lets get real!  An angry 400 pound boar charging you from 75 feet away in the brush at 25 miles per hour and you really think you are going to place a kill round in it before it is on you.  I am a decent shot with a pistol and a rifle but Id be pooping my pants and shaking in my boots if this were to happen.  So lets say you hit it but don't kill the thing and only wound it...then what? 
I have hunted in WY for Elk for about 10 years now and this is griz country and I carry two cans of spray and my buddy, who is a resident, carries two cans.  Spray is effective and it takes aiming out of the picture.  For me spray is the first line of defense and then a rifle or pistol.  Yes you can get spray on you but I think I would rather have that then a bear clawing at me!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:08 AM »
Generally I side with lead versus spray.  I did however chose spray over lead when weight became an issue and when my wife started going with me.   She got her own spray.   I figured she had a better chance with that than trying to shoot something. 
Having survived a bear attack because I did shoot it as it charged, I can attest to Jackelopes thought process.  Id imagine 90% of the folks out there would have been a chew toy.   I was close enough to being one and I didn't stutter or flinch until it was over.

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »
I carry a glock 20.  In griz country, I would also carry bear spray.

Bear spray is reported to be more effective than a firearm because spray is used in far more reported bear attach events.  We hear of an attack, spray was used, the results are report.  I don't hear many reports of an attack, a firearm used -- either hitting the animal or simply a loud boom -- and the results.  So I think we can't say one is documented to be more effective than the other -- although spray has been reported to be effective.

So why not carry both LOL and let the situation dictate what you do.

If I walked upon a bear that's 30-50 yards away, I would first noise and large body motions, and draw my weapons.  If the noise and commotion didn't deter the bear, and the bear charged or even freaking motioned my way I'd shoot a round in its direction.  That doesn't work turn the bear away, and the bear becomes more aggressive or comes closer, then I'd empty the spray can in its face.  Then comes the lead.

You gotta think that a jacked up bear charging you is different than a bear just standing there, trying to figure you if you look tasty or not.

In that Orr situation, didn't the bear just blow through the cloud of spray? Actually, I just read that article about why bear spray didn't work.  To work effectively, you want to start spraying sooner rather than later assuming the bear is charging you to allow for more time for the spray to work.  Lead doesn't seem to have that problem.  You need placement, not time for lead to work.

Also, Orr credited his backpack with protecting his vitals.  Kinda makes me laugh thinking about which backpack brands make for the greatest bear protection LOL

Question is, if a griz is coming at you and nothing is working to stop it, at what point do you hit the ground, cover your neck and pray?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:57:07 AM by wooltie »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
Neither handguns nor bear spray is 100% effective, and as a result you can read of failures to stop a bear with each.

I personally believe the odds of stopping a charging grizzly with a handgun are low. The sound may scare it off, but if it doesn’t you must place a bullet into the vital area of an animal charging at 30 mph within a few seconds. Doing that with a handgun isn’t something most people have the skill to do. If you don’t break the bear down or interrupt the central nervous system, you may do nothing more than make the bear more intent on harming you as his final death wish.

A shotgun or rifle yes, but I would prefer bear spray over a handgun.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
Generally I side with lead versus spray.  I did however chose spray over lead when weight became an issue and when my wife started going with me.   She got her own spray.   I figured she had a better chance with that than trying to shoot something. 
Having survived a bear attack because I did shoot it as it charged, I can attest to Jackelopes thought process.  Id imagine 90% of the folks out there would have been a chew toy.   I was close enough to being one and I didn't stutter or flinch until it was over.

I would be interested in hearing the details of this encounter and am glad you survived.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
I don't own any bear spray,but maybe both if really worried.
Maybe the one you feel more comfortable with.
Your choice on how to protect yourself in the woods.

Here some good reading on the subject,along with a few quotes from the artical.

http://www.explorebigsky.com/why-wasnt-bear-spray-more-effective-in-todd-orrs-grizzly-attack

Everything inside 30 feet exists within what Bartlebaugh calls the “potential contact zone,” meaning you can expect bear spray to minimize the length and severity of an attack, but not prevent it.

After the initial encounter, Orr wrote that he “half hiked, half jogged down the trail” toward his truck, which was parked 3 miles away. Five to 10 minutes later, the sow was on him again.

He also had a gun that he lost track of during the attack.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
 :dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
The other consideration that is not made in the article is that that 90% success rate of spray likely has a critical flaw in that there are a larger number of bearanoid idiots carrying spray than firearms and when these people see a bear they deploy the spray and holler while spraying it when the bear is on the other side of the meadow. Bear sees the dinkus and runs off, +1 for bear spray!

The facts and the study don't support that:

In 90% (18 of 20; G1 ¼ 14.7, P ¼ 0.001) of close-range encounters with black bears, spray stopped the
bear’s undesirable behavior. All bear-inflicted injuries (n¼3) involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no
hospitalization required).

Bear spray only goes about 30', so if the bear is in close range and sprayed, it can't be at the other side of the meadow.

I won't even comment on the assumption that "bearanoid idiots" don't carry firearms. :chuckle:

Everyone should chose what they want, but the statistics and facts from a two studies stretching over 20 years are out there, bear spray gives you the best odds at the best possible outcome.  If there are conflicting studies that suggest otherwise, please link to them as I would be very interested in having all the information possible.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]