collapse

Author Topic: Backpacking sleeping pad??  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Troutnut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Alaskan in WA
    • https://www.facebook.com/TroutnutDotCom/
    • Troutnut.com
Re: Backpacking sleeping pad??
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 11:20:56 PM »
I have the Thermarest NeoAir Trekker. That chart posted above might explain why I spent so many nights freezing my ass off in Alaska when the temperature wasn't dropping below the rating of my sleeping bag.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:58 AM »
You can't just sleep on the pad and expect to stay warm you need a sleeping bag also and good one at that.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
If you get a lighter pad but feel it doesn't have enough padding for you I've cut fir boughs and put them down as a base before. Actually I've used fir boughs for a pad before and they're a lot more comfy than they sound if you get the ends. I don't destroy a tree but take them off of several trees.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »
If you get a lighter pad but feel it doesn't have enough padding for you I've cut fir boughs and put them down as a base before. Actually I've used fir boughs for a pad before and they're a lot more comfy than they sound if you get the ends. I don't destroy a tree but take them off of several trees.

Old school fieldcraft there! Works well and isn't scarring on the landscape depending where it's done...
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Recent Topics