collapse
Enter by February 22 Experience A Successful Turkey Hunt With Bearpaw Outfitters

Author Topic: Fall season  (Read 547 times)

Offline scotrobe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Fall season
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »
Hi all. My teenage son has yet to harvest his first turkey and still has a tag. I am planning to take him to Eastern WA in late fall (Nov) since you can harvest either sex which will, hopefully, mean more opportunities to harvest a bird. I'm wondering if anyone has had success in the fall season, especially that late, and if you have any tips. My son and I are beginners. (This is our first year turkey hunting.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:52:46 PM by scotrobe »

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
Re: Fall season
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
I used to hunt the fall hunt. Its a blast, hit the counties with the largest populations. There will be more then enough birds to harvest. The birds will be in their winter groups by then. So instead of a few birds at a time, there may be hundreds at a time. What is really fun about this is, you can afford to experiment. I like running through a flock and scattering them. Then use what is called the Kee kee run. It is the sound a hen makes to bring all her poults back. You will hear it within in 10 minutes of scattering a flock. Just set up where you scared them and they will come...Also when you run through a flock in the fall, its not unheard of to be able to grab a couple birds on the way by. A lot of the younger birds hit the deck when they hear there moms sound off. And as you run by you can grab them if you are fast. Have fun :)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:39:54 AM »
Lots of birds this year. Go in Sept. when you can shoot 2 hens.. They usually work their way to water first thing out of the roost. Set -up and ambush. Just find the roost and the water source. Good luck
Providing a select few deer , bear , and turkey hunts  with meals and lodging provided.  Stevens County is right in the heart of the best hunting and fishing in the Northeast corner of the state . . Our Lodge is also a great place for your family reunion, summer vacation  509-722-3949  www.buckcanyon.net
Call me for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Westergard Real Estate Kettle Falls

Offline scotrobe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
Lots of birds this year. Go in Sept. when you can shoot 2 hens.. They usually work their way to water first thing out of the roost. Set -up and ambush. Just find the roost and the water source. Good luck
Awesome advice. Thanks!!

Offline scotrobe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »
I used to hunt the fall hunt. Its a blast, hit the counties with the largest populations. There will be more then enough birds to harvest. The birds will be in their winter groups by then. So instead of a few birds at a time, there may be hundreds at a time. What is really fun about this is, you can afford to experiment. I like running through a flock and scattering them. Then use what is called the Kee kee run. It is the sound a hen makes to bring all her poults back. You will hear it within in 10 minutes of scattering a flock. Just set up where you scared them and they will come...Also when you run through a flock in the fall, its not unheard of to be able to grab a couple birds on the way by. A lot of the younger birds hit the deck when they hear there moms sound off. And as you run by you can grab them if you are fast. Have fun :)
Great. Now, I can't wait to go!  Thanks for the advice.

* Recent Topics

Notched My Multi-Season Tag This Mornin' by Mfowl
[Today at 12:11:07 AM]

Does anyone actually rinse their deer with a hose after it has been skinned?WHY? by cbond3318
[Yesterday at 11:43:49 PM]

Son's first buck and unique shooting style by cbond3318
[Yesterday at 11:42:30 PM]

Buck Down by Blacktail Sniper
[Yesterday at 11:41:16 PM]

Season is over too soon by Blacktail Sniper
[Yesterday at 11:33:07 PM]

What gun for bear, for wife? by Blacktail Sniper
[Yesterday at 11:27:52 PM]

Subaru head gasket and timing belt questions by floatinghat
[Yesterday at 11:21:34 PM]

Coyote or wolf track by Okanagan
[Yesterday at 11:09:59 PM]

Nooksack bull down and Congratulations wifey! by Piscatory_5
[Yesterday at 11:08:05 PM]

Should 209 primers be legal? by floatinghat
[Yesterday at 11:06:11 PM]

First bear ever! Alpine by Smokepole
[Yesterday at 10:41:52 PM]

Age 10 Girl Proudly Kills 220-Pound Black Bear. Mom Fires Back at Haters After B by mfswallace
[Yesterday at 10:37:35 PM]

the coming storm??? by lokidog
[Yesterday at 10:36:34 PM]

Goose Prairie Bull Elk Hunt by Naches Sportsman
[Yesterday at 10:29:11 PM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by Tbar
[Yesterday at 10:25:27 PM]

Wapiti Wednesday by pd
[Yesterday at 10:24:38 PM]

As They Lay 2017 by lokidog
[Yesterday at 10:10:23 PM]

Venison ribs on the traeger? by lokidog