collapse

Author Topic: Goat Rocks Heart Lake Hike  (Read 1981 times)

Offline branches

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Goat Rocks Heart Lake Hike
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »
Just curious Branches, did you go in on the Lilly Basin trail?

Yes we hiked in on the Lilly Basin trail. It was in better shape this year because somebody cut out all of the blowdowns and some of the brush along the trial. I would like to add that there is what I think a dangerous spot on the trail in the basin at Glacier Creek. The steep rock face is getting harder to climb on. I guess somebody with mountaineering or climbing experience would think it is nothing but we have had our hands full each time we have to get around it.

I work with a Backcountry Horsemen trail crew that clears the Lilly Basin trail every year. One of our other crews (or maybe even FS crew) cleared it this year. The large pile of jumbled logs high on the ridge was cut by our crew several years ago.
We have been talking with the FS about the Glacier Creek crossing. Last year, we did a full report of the conditions and the FS got funding for a blasting project to cut a shelf on the rock face for a trail. They have it on their books to be done this year but they are running out of time.
Good to hear about someone enjoying the trail. Thanks for the pictures.

This is good news about the trail. We usually stop for a break at that log pile on the ridge or at the camp just about 10 minutes up from there. Will the blasting of the rock shelf be wide enough for stock to get by? I bet it has been many years since a horse or mule has made it to the lake. The first time I took my kids to the lake I told them I had rode up by mule and they said NO WAY because of that spot on Glacier Creek. I will have to see if I have any old pictures of the creek. I have not taken any pictures of that spot the last two years because we were roping the big packs up or down the small cliff.

Offline branches

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 11:24:41 PM »
Here are some pictures of that area from about 5 years ago.
This is the log pile we usually take a break at.
The other picture are of the creek that has washed away the trail. The area to the right of the creek is basically now a vertical cliff. All of the rock and dirt are gone from the creek up the hill about 25 yards. You can still get up the rock face and some people can still navigate the trail with a light pack but if you have a big pack you might want to rope your pack up or down the rock face. You can always bushwack up the creek a couple of hundred yards and find away across and come back to the trail.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 04:42:35 AM »
Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing

Offline netcoyote

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »
There's been considerable washout of that Glacier Creek crossing in the last few years. I remember back when it looked like your pictures and you could usually cross it on snow until late July. It's quite a cavern now with steep walls on both sides.
Here's a picture from a couple weeks ago.
"...t'aint never a thing wrong with a man such that the mountains can't cure."

Offline branches

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 10:11:29 PM »
That is a good view of that spot thank you for the picture. For us it is kind of hard to climb up but we make it. The climb down is what everybody does not like so we just send the packs down first. I would be hard for me to have to pack somebody up that hill if they got hurt. Even with that washout this place is still awesome and we enjoy all it has to offer.

* Recent Topics

Late season archery/Muzzle loader? GMU 454 by Crunchy
[Today at 12:23:43 PM]

WTS boots by Lightning_Rider
[Today at 12:19:49 PM]

Wyoming Elk Hunt - Updated by Twispriver
[Today at 12:07:11 PM]

Off to Idaho tomorrow!! by finnman
[Today at 12:02:17 PM]

WTB: Glock 40 MOS by Brushcrawler
[Today at 11:56:14 AM]

First bear ever - BIG boar down! by Smokepole
[Today at 11:52:15 AM]

Father & Son Got It Done! by Smokepole
[Today at 11:49:31 AM]

The neck by Humptulips
[Today at 11:46:16 AM]

Hirshey's Washington Hunts 2017 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:44:36 AM]

Looking to get into hunting! by Zbobafett
[Today at 11:19:38 AM]

Raccoon Trapping by Bigbadwolfwdc
[Today at 11:12:00 AM]

Big Buck Down by ebusa
[Today at 10:54:39 AM]

Whole Elk? by Tjv28
[Today at 10:38:27 AM]

NF-39 rd, north conconully? by Shawilmcmurry
[Today at 10:29:03 AM]

Please Report Problems & Bugs Here by lokidog
[Today at 10:28:57 AM]

Son had his first miss today... by lokidog
[Today at 10:26:52 AM]

ISO coturnix quail by jackelope
[Today at 10:24:53 AM]

Opening day pheasants? by JugheadF15
[Today at 10:19:51 AM]

Who's going to be killing branched bulls in the Peaches area on Monday? by Magnum_Willys
[Today at 10:02:07 AM]

Braque Francais by constructeur
[Today at 09:50:41 AM]