collapse

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 30693 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
Thank you all for answering and for your honesty.  Keep it up please.   There are 300 or so folks looking at the forum right now.  Please provide your input even if it's the same as someone else. 

I have another question for you to think a about. If we were to fix or change would you post more or just prefer to keep quiet ad it's a waste of our time.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
Where to start....... better not, I'd hate for this thread to get derailed.

You should post a pictorial on the how's and why's.

:chuckle: I'm not one of you fancy-pants, gourmet-food eating, European car driving mods so until I'm given an exorbitant salary I'll save the time and effort.

I will give a hint, I came here and joined because I was getting tired of all the bashing because a few people were blaming every single tribal person and lumping us all together rather than singling out the bad apples.

There has been little change, but not much and at times it's not worth the argument. I have gotten tired of repeating myself, tired of having the same argument, tired of being the blame, the one people point fingers and blame as if I had the power to change laws.

I've taken extended breaks and the time of the year is coming when all the bashing comes back and who knows if I continue here.

Thick skin, is an understatment for me so someday things will get better and I can say that I have met some awesome guys on here, guys i can call friend and brother. :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
I can say that I have met some awesome guys on here, guys i can call friend and brother.

Can't put a price on that
I should be out hunting lions, thanks WDFW

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
I post pics all the time. I post and then wait/expect someone to nitpick something. I hate that it happens, but it's a fact of life.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, RMEF, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »
I post pics all the time. I post and then wait/expect someone to nitpick something. I hate that it happens, but it's a fact of life.

Nitpicking is one of the issues I want to deal with soon!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself" Hunting Maps" 
http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided, Semi-Guided, Unguided, and Drop Camp Hunts in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Washington. Hunts with tags available (no draw) spring bear, fall bear, buffalo, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, wolf!

Offline jackson7

• Hunter
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »
I will post when I can help someone out, whether with a product or guidance on a topic I am familiar with. I  don't  chime in on various topics with strong opinions. All are entitled to their own.
PlateauNDN,  I truly enjoy your posts and perspective on many topics. pleased continue. would love to meet you one day.
best to all, Jackson

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »
I'm reluctant to post images which include people I know, especially of family members. It really has very little to do with Hunt WA, however. I'm not a paranoid person, but there's a lot of risks both professionally and safety-wise being recognized as a hunter in today's social media world.

I have and will, but with caution.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Hilltop123

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »
Over the years I have come to see this forum, as the digital version of an early 1800's trading post. For folks to wonder in out of the cold, get information, trade goods, make acquaintances, have a laugh with ole friends, not talked to since the last time they wondered in. I have always enjoyed coming here, still do. I enjoy reading the political banter, seeing pic's of the young ones first deer, Bigfoot, the Ole timers last hunt. Asking question about weapons, reloading, places to go, I could go on. But as far as I see it, the good outweighs the bad.

Online Southpole

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »
For me it's the nit picking and judgement of the post's. like not wearing orange in the trophy pic or the pointing out of every detail that could be or has the possibility of being unsafe or maybe could be illegal not that it is but it could be if you look at it a certain way.There also seems to be a clique that can get away with saying things that others can not.I love this place but i don't post much because of this. :(

X2 on the nit picking.

I shot a nice (for me) decent 4X4 muley this last year.    Nothing for the record books, but I was very happy with it.   Kind of an average 4X4 in all aspects.     I actually thought twice about posting it, just because of nit pickers and nay sayers.    I ended up posting it, but I can understand why people don't.

A couple recent examples:
*  Bearpaw posted the 40' buck........   unreal pig of a buck.    It didn't take long for someone to suggest that a fence was involved.    By all indications, that was a free roaming deer.     Why take a cheap shot at someone like that, just because they're fortunate enough to hunt deer in Mexico?
*  That huge (Nevada?) governor's tag buck still in velvet.    Another buck of a lifetime.    And yet, it didn't take long for someone to say the hunter sure has long arms.    Again, why the need for cheap shots??

Can't there be simple decorum like don't take unwarranted cheap shots???????

THANK YOU for all you do to make this forum great.    It's still the best hunting forum I've ever found.     :tup:
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I've had lots of hunting success but most people wouldn't know it on this site about me. I don't like sharing too much as far as pictures unless it's something amazingly huge or nice looking because it's going to get judged and or nit picked. 
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline fish vacuum

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »
I'm reluctant to post images which include people I know, especially of family members. It really has very little to do with Hunt WA, however. I'm not a paranoid person, but there's a lot of risks both professionally and safety-wise being recognized as a hunter in today's social media world.

I don't even like posting my own picture online for anything. Not only because some people might not like hunting, but maybe because I'm more private than most people.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Offline Tacbeav

• Virtual Campfire
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
I see that you are not getting much response from the folks like me with less than 100 posts.  I think that it's just human nature that a few people tend to dominate conversations and that many of us are content to do more "listening" than "talking.  I have found people on here to be very helpful and willing to share certain information, such when they have had a special permit in the past that I asked for information on and I have tried to do the same.  I appreciate that you are trying to get more of us actively participating and I will make an effort to do so.

Offline YoterHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »
Drama queens...I don't do facebook because of the drama. Came hear a few years ago and all was good. Now it seems everything is drama. A lot of topics that create hate and division amongst the hunt/fish community. And a small hand full of people that are responsible. I have very thick skin but don't need drama in my life.
.      This one hit it on the nose.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
regardless of the type of posts, generally less posts = less views = less usage = less posts = less views = less usage ............ = gone.

I could be wrong, maybe we can reduce usage and reduce posts by banning more and restricting more and still grow usage but I doubt it ???

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »

I don't even like posting my own picture online for anything. Not only because some people might not like hunting, but maybe because I'm more private than most people.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
  That's not you in your profile pic?  :dunno:  :dunno:  :chuckle:

Online huntnfmly

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
I think I was #89 signing up.I remember when the vitual campsite was only 1page.I think this is a great site I have gotten great info and have posted info that I have experience with and will continue to do so
I'm your dam tour guide arty...
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline cbond3318

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
I've shared a few times but mostly don't. When I pondered why I don't share my hunts or experiences in the outdoors , I guess it's the same reason I mostly hunt alone these days.
What I get out of the outdoors and my experiences are precious to me and i find myself not wanting to bother sharing with anyone that doesn't get exactly the same as what I get out of it.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.
"All those who love Nature she loves in return, and will richly reward, not perhaps with the good things, as they are commonly called, but with the best things of this world-not with money and title, horses and carriages, but with bright and happy thoughts, contentment and peace of mind."

John Lubbock

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »
Drama, mostly.  And I don't care about, nor look at much of anything that is not in somehow related to hunting, fishing or maybe some sports related and garden threads.  It seems like the forum now is mostly that kind of stuff.  And it seems that certain members take it upon themselves to post numerous threads daily about such nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:55:31 PM by NRA4LIFE »
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

So many free days, so few fish....

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Wild Horse Outfitters
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:09 PM »
For me to many internet experts on here that sit behind their computers.  Those that know how to do everything better than those of us that are in the outdoor industry, because they read it on line as opposed to being out doing it.  Many times I have wanted to step in and help someone out when the advice they are getting is all wrong.  I have found it best to shake my head and move on. 

Online The scout

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
The nitpicking is the worst to me, I am not the best with words so anything I post I feel like I really need to think about what i'm typing just so someone doesn't jump on me because they actually just misunderstood what i'm trying to say. I have thick skin but it gets old when it is on every thread know matter what the topic is. There are some very helpful members on here, I don't ask for help much but this year I finally drew a quality deer tag,  I asked for a little help on opinions of timing and got jumped on about asking people to predict the weather, just BS. until I see a real change i'm going to just help people as much as I can and hope when they can they do the same.

Offline BD1

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »
Ok I'll bite...for me hunting and everything that goes with it is an escape from all the rest of the crap that is going on in the world. Personally I think that is what a "hunting" forum should be focused on too. When I come here it isn't to read about politics, laws,opinions on suicide and race etc. It just gets old and you top that off with members taking each out at the knees verbally and I lose interest. With that said I have gotten to know a couple of very cool people on here and do enjoy the hunting focused threads...until someone derails/hijacks[size=78%] it.[/size]

Mike BD1

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Keep it up guys. I'm taking in every word. 

Offline Bofire

• Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
 :) I don't know, I have posted dumb stuff, have posted and been totally misunderstood, have misunderstood others, sometimes it is hard to explain a thought. I know every time I write a post and hit "enter" I cringe and wait for the attack. I suppose a bit more patience on everybodys part might be good.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline JL

• Tracker
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
I've shared a few times but mostly don't. When I pondered why I don't share my hunts or experiences in the outdoors , I guess it's the same reason I mostly hunt alone these days.
What I get out of the outdoors and my experiences are precious to me and i find myself not wanting to bother sharing with anyone that doesn't get exactly the same as what I get out of it.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

That makes perfect sense to me cbond.

I do really enjoy and appreciate this forum. On it daily, just don't post much. What's stuck out at me the most is how this group comes together when another member is dealt a tough hand. It's inspired me.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »
I will post when I can help someone out, whether with a product or guidance on a topic I am familiar with. I  don't  chime in on various topics with strong opinions. All are entitled to their own.
PlateauNDN,  I truly enjoy your posts and perspective on many topics. pleased continue. would love to meet you one day.
best to all, Jackson
:yeah:
Jackson summed it up just fine, I will post when I can help or when someone is asking a specific question that I can answer. If it is my opinion I always add the  :twocents: Someone on a post early this week that it's a few folks that are causing most of the issues? Maybe the Rule of 80-20 applies here as well, that is 20% of the people screw it up for the other 80%  :dunno: just a thought.
I joined in 2008 when Killbilly was still active, he dropped off as well. I have meet some great folks on this site over the years and not one has been a disappointment. Some of the members I would really want to meet in person would be @PlateauNDN, @campmeat and @jrebble to name a few
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline huntandjeep

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
I will chime into a thread if I can help with knowledgeable info. I'm not getting into an argument thread with people over my belief's vs theirs , not worth my time. I will never post a picture / story  of any of my animals , past or future because of all the nit pickers or the negative comments that I will hear because I chose to hunt a different way than someone else ( long range ).
 I will say ALL the members I have meet in person are some of the greatest people I've met.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:20:05 PM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers