collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Colockum Muzzy Bull Hunt  (Read 40540 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Re: 2017 Colockum Muzzy Bull Hunt
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »
Congrats on all the draws, should be an epic season, and thanks for sharing.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 01:46:56 AM »
That's a huge score on all those tags!!!! Congrats and look forward to more posts and hopefully some critters hitting the ground for ya.
:yeah: :tup: :IBCOOL:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 05:19:46 AM »
Would you shoot a bull comparable to your dads bull?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline cmiller85

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »
Would you shoot a bull comparable to your dads bull?

That's a super tough question. If I thought it would make 360" net I'd shoot. My Dad's bull would have netted 360" if he would have had the matching 3-1/4" 7th point. That's how close he was. So the matching 7th, or something as small as a 1/2" more average length on each point or if he was 6" wider all would have tipped him over the mark.

He's so close that I personally would not be able to field judge the difference if he stood next to a 360-370" bull. So the answer is....more than likely. The only way I wouldn't be able to is if I see a bull that looks like he'd go 380-390+. I mean it would have to be something truly exceptional to "help" :chuckle: me pass on a bull like my Dad's; and even then, I feel like, deep down, it is still negotiable depending on a number of variables.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 06:42:26 AM »
Thats awesome good luck and enjoy the hunts!

Offline howlow

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »
I will be hunting during the archery season I spend lots of time there pm your number and maybe I can help u locate your dream bull

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 05:23:04 PM »
I will be hunting during the archery season I spend lots of time there pm your number and maybe I can help u locate your dream bull

Very nice offer, glad to see people willing to help.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »

I appreciate the generosity. PM sent!  :tup:

Offline howlow

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »
I look at it this way those quality tags don't come very often so I figure If I help someone out maybe when I get drawn some will share info with me on my someday quality anything   lol   

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
I look at it this way those quality tags don't come very often so I figure If I help someone out maybe when I get drawn some will share info with me on my someday quality anything   lol   

:tup: I agree and look at it the same way.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
Have a great adventure and let us know how it goes.

Offline outdrsguy

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 12:56:37 AM »
Thank you for sharing

Offline cmiller85

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
8-20-17:

We had a fairly successful day scouting yesterday. My Dad and I split up and I buzzed around up high and worked my down a ridge. I came to a bench in some open country on the edge of some thicker timber. It was just before 10:00 AM. I wasn't expecting to see any elk, but as I came to the edge of the bench where it started down hill I caught movement. About 60 yards down hill on a smaller bench a 300" or so 6x6 bull stood up. He got a good look at me and so didn't stick around long. I got a quick look at his left side as he quickly out of sight and then crashed down over the hill.

I proceeded down the hill back through some thicker stuff and then another open plateau. I came upon some fresh elk sign, marked it on my gps and went to crest the edge of the plateau. As I stopped to take in my surroundings before proceeding,  I caught movement again. At 50 yards away down in some timber was a 300" or so 6x6 feeding.  I watched him for a couple minutes and then he just bedded down. This was 1/2 mile down the ridge from where I saw the last bull but I'm fairly confident it was the same bull I jumped earlier. It was just way too similar. I got some crappy cell phone footage of him and then blew a cow call to see what he would do. I didn't just want to take off and blow him out of the country. Well I blew the cow call and he stood up and started walking away immediately. After a few steps he stopped. Another bull then got up to my left and walked toward the bull I was watching. This was a bigger bull. Probably closer to the 325" mark. He had way better G4s and G5s and was wider. They didn't stick around long and trotted down over the hill and walked out of sight. Here is  the footage of the bull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qfnTNluDPo

I got all the way down the ridge and didn't really like what I saw so I decided to dive down the canyon and head up the other side. Headed up the steep, rocky, nasty hillside I started getting into some benches that were loaded with elk beds. About as fresh as you can get. Fresh crap and pee everywhere with the trails just plowed up. I followed the trails up for a few hundred yards to try and find out where the herd had gone. As I crept slowly up the trail I paused to scan the area up in front of me. I caught movement! Looking back towards my right I saw a bull in the trees. I pulled up my binos and saw a lot of white bone, a little bit of red blood and some final remnants of velvet draped over his main beam. I pulled out the cell phone again and got some more rough footage to analyze later, then out came the binos again. The wind was going straight up the back of my neck and he was only 60-70 yards so I'm not sure how he didn't smell me but he just stood there for a couple of minutes and then walked on up the hill. He is a 7x7 and is really difficult to judge from the footage. He's got good width, looks like good mass and good main beam length. His tine length looked to me to be his biggest weakness, but he's also a 7x so that helps to balance out. I'd guess he's got to be 340"+. I'd put him in the "contender" category. I'd really like to get a good second look at him! Here is the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqB0k-aNjGc

After he walked off I continued on into the next draw. I just a cow and a calf and then a while later a 5 pt. at about 30 yards. All in all I saw only about 6 elk for the day but at least 4 were bulls and 3 of those were great 6 pt bulls at that. A lot of potential out there for this year's tag holders by what we saw yesterday.  :tup:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
Awesome scouting trip there man. Good work!   :tup:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline sternwarning

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Great videos!

Thanks for sharing

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal