collapse
For all your AR 500 steel target needs and competitive shooting events! Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Glock 20 Thoughts?  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Glock 20 Thoughts?
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
Always been a bow guy and I'm starting to look at sidearm to carry/ my first pistol. The Glock 20 looks to fit the bill really nicely, light, good power, durable, reliable but the big downside is being that 10mm bullets are expensive. I was thinking of getting a conversion 40 S&W barrel so that I can shoot it more often and cheaper to practice. Has anyone shot/owned this and what are your thoughts? I also was planning on renting one at a range near by and testing it before purchasing it.

Offline Dan-o

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
Re: Glock 20 Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
I own one. 
It's my favorite pistol......   but I'm no expert. 

I just know that I love mine.   

I think it's a Ford-Chevy-Dodge thing.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
Always been a bow guy and I'm starting to look at sidearm to carry/ my first pistol. The Glock 20 looks to fit the bill really nicely, light, good power, durable, reliable but the big downside is being that 10mm bullets are expensive. I was thinking of getting a conversion 40 S&W barrel so that I can shoot it more often and cheaper to practice. Has anyone shot/owned this and what are your thoughts? I also was planning on renting one at a range near by and testing it before purchasing it.

You're on the right track by renting one, if you have less than XL hands then you might want to try slimmer version  Glock 20 SF  The grip is shaved down to fit a smaller hand. 

I also shoot .40S&W conversion and with the bigger slide it's a dream to shoot. 

For ammo I use underwood and wait for a free shipping or deal to show up in my Email then I'll order.  helps some.   I'd like to reload it though but I currently don't reload ammo. 
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." -George Bernard.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
If you are looking for a 10mm, I am fond of my Colt Delta Elite and I have relatively small hands. It's a 1911 style pistol, and though I have heard people say that 10mm has "snappier" recoil than a .45 caliber, I find it far preferable to the .45 caliber 1911s that I have fired. I can put two+ boxes of ammo through my Delta Elite at the range with little or no discomfort, where .45 caliber 1911s that I have fired leave my hand sore after a single box.

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »
Awesome feedback guys! Atroxus- you brought up my first major concern was how much fun would it be to shoot and I'm glad to hear your feedback. Good tips from KFhunter on the ammo and the 40 S&W conversion. Nothing worse then owning a pistol you can't afford to shoot!

Offline Bofire

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
 :) Glocks are good guns, I think the Gen 4 frame is the same size as the 20 SF, with the option to make it larger with grip inserts. I have never fired a 10mm but putting 500-1000 rounds thru any of my 45's is a normal range day, no bother at all. Its different for different folks.
Go shoot all the models you can, Sig makes a fine 10mm, and there are some fine revolvers in great cartridges.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline HighlandLofts

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »
If you were closer you could shoot mine, I have a glock 20, 10mm and a glock 41, 45acp.
 I'm 40 miles north of Seattle.

I need to buy a 40 caliber barrel for the 20, I have tons of 40 caliber brass. I do need to get more 10mm brass.

I like to 10mm, it shoots Ok, i bought it for a carry gun when I go up in the mountains for protection if I ever run into a meth operation.
Up in the mountains animals are the furthest thing on my mind, I personally know three people who had trouble in the mountains two out by Darrington and one over by Lyman.

I use to open carry either a 357magnum or a 44magnum revolver until these things took place, now I want more available fire power that will stop any threat that happens to be out there.

I do have a glock 17 - 9mm but it is just a plinking handgun, I would never carry a 9mm as a self defense weapon in the mountains, if by chance you have a problem with a cougar, black or grizzly bear or a pack of wolves I want killing power and enough ammo to finish the job.

If you get up this way PM me and I'll take you out shooting, I have the ammo.

If you buy one I suggest buying a decent used one, if you don't like it or you get tired of it you can sell it and recoup most of your money.

I'd rather carry the 10mm in the woods instead of the 45 auto.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline porcupine

• Off-Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »
I would rather shoot my G20 than any other pistol I own as it fits my hand better than others. For ammo look at Washougal River Ammo, they had 50 rounds of 10mm for $20.00 a box at the WAC show last weekend and I believe they're in your neck of the woods.

Offline JoeE

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »
I have a Glock 20 that I use as my woods gun. Been taking it up to Alaska for near repellent. I owned a G29 also but prefer the larger frame.

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
If you were closer you could shoot mine, I have a glock 20, 10mm and a glock 41, 45acp.
 I'm 40 miles north of Seattle.

I need to buy a 40 caliber barrel for the 20, I have tons of 40 caliber brass. I do need to get more 10mm brass.

I like to 10mm, it shoots Ok, i bought it for a carry gun when I go up in the mountains for protection if I ever run into a meth operation.
Up in the mountains animals are the furthest thing on my mind, I personally know three people who had trouble in the mountains two out by Darrington and one over by Lyman.

I use to open carry either a 357magnum or a 44magnum revolver until these things took place, now I want more available fire power that will stop any threat that happens to be out there.

I do have a glock 17 - 9mm but it is just a plinking handgun, I would never carry a 9mm as a self defense weapon in the mountains, if by chance you have a problem with a cougar, black or grizzly bear or a pack of wolves I want killing power and enough ammo to finish the job.

If you get up this way PM me and I'll take you out shooting, I have the ammo.

If you buy one I suggest buying a decent used one, if you don't like it or you get tired of it you can sell it and recoup most of your money.

I'd rather carry the 10mm in the woods instead of the 45 auto.

Yup i'm in the same boat after stumbling into an old meth lab scouting with Pianoman. If I'm up that way I definitely let you know for sure and thanks for all the info!  :tup:

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »
Great feedback guys I really appreciate it!

Offline wooltie

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
I bought a gen4 G20 this year to carry with me in the woods.  A standard frame g17 fits my hands well, but I prefer the short frame in g20.  As a gen4, this means I do not use any grip inserts.

10mm ammo is more expensive if bought locally but you can find it cheaper online.

I load the buffalo bore outdoorsman ammo in the woods.  It goes boom big time.

At 15 rounds fully loaded, the G20 weighs less than my 4.25" colt .45 loaded w/7 rounds.

But I love glocks so I'm biased.

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
I bought a gen4 G20 this year to carry with me in the woods.  A standard frame g17 fits my hands well, but I prefer the short frame in g20.  As a gen4, this means I do not use any grip inserts.

10mm ammo is more expensive if bought locally but you can find it cheaper online.

I load the buffalo bore outdoorsman ammo in the woods.  It goes boom big time.

At 15 rounds fully loaded, the G20 weighs less than my 4.25" colt .45 loaded w/7 rounds.

But I love glocks so I'm biased.

If you're going into the woods and don't want to take your sidearm because of the weight it defeats the purpose to me and I think thats why glock is appealing to me. Plenty of power, plenty of rounds, not a lot of weight. I was looking at the buffalo bore ammo....220gr hard cast would sure make me feel secure in the woods

Offline Scheindogg

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »
Doubletap makes some great hardcast loads too. But if you're using a glock 20 make sure not to get the 230gr hard cast from them as it tumbles out of the "short" barrell(performs very well from aftermarket lone wolf barell). But the 200gr performs well out of the stock barell. Hickok45 has a few videos on hardcast bullets out of the glock20
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
Doubletap makes some great hardcast loads too. But if you're using a glock 20 make sure not to get the 230gr hard cast from them as it tumbles out of the "short" barrell(performs very well from aftermarket lone wolf barell). But the 200gr performs well out of the stock barell. Hickok45 has a few videos on hardcast bullets out of the glock20

awesome info thanks for the tips I appreciate it! :tup:

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
Awesome feedback guys! Atroxus- you brought up my first major concern was how much fun would it be to shoot and I'm glad to hear your feedback. Good tips from KFhunter on the ammo and the 40 S&W conversion. Nothing worse then owning a pistol you can't afford to shoot!

I forgot to mention, that before I bought my 10mm I went to Wade's in bellevue and rented/test fired all(They did not have very many) of their 10mm handguns including multiple glocks iirc, as well as most of their .45 caliber pistols. I put 3 boxes each of .45 and 10mm downrange before making my decision. They did not have a Delta Elite available as a rental, but test firing all of the other 10mm pistols they did have available as well as most of their .45 caliber pistols was enough for me to decide that I wanted a 10mm in a 1911 style frame, so I went with the Delta Elite and I do not regret the decision at all.

I highly recommend a trip to Wade's to rent some pistols. You may come to a different conclusion than I did, but I think you will be less likely to end up with buyers remorse that way.

Offline doubletall

• Site Sponsor
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
Of all the pistols and wheel guns I own I believe I shoot my G20 more accurately then the rest.  My hands are on the larger size and its a perfect fit, recoil is a non issue.  Interesting that I saw this thread today; my wife had to drive my father in law to his doctor this morning.  She sent me a text at work saying that he left something at the house for me.  I got home and found a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and 500 rounds.  Can't wait to put some rounds through it.

Offline fish vacuum

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 02:28:12 AM »
10mm is a great PNW woods round and the G20 is a great platform for it. It's a pleasure to shoot.

Offline Cab

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
When I was going to post this topic I thought I would get a few positive comments due to the fire arm being a glock and the passion many show for them but I had no idea that almost every single person would endorse the G20. If I was at all nervous about testing one and then buying one that sure has subsided.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:16 PM »
Still doesn't hurt to test one, but ya - it's a solid platform.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." -George Bernard.

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »
When I was going to post this topic I thought I would get a few positive comments due to the fire arm being a glock and the passion many show for them but I had no idea that almost every single person would endorse the G20. If I was at all nervous about testing one and then buying one that sure has subsided.

Personally I like to shoot my guns a lot so I tend to stick to common calibers. Not that 10mm is uncommon but its defiantly less common than 9mm, 40, 45 ect. I stick with 9mm mostly because its the cheapest full service cartridge to shoot, so I can shoot 2-3 times as much as other people. example would be I love the .357sig BUT the cost and rarity of ammo completely turns me off to the idea of using it.

one thing I'm not sure was asked is this a every day carry gun or just a woods gun?

If you want to carry it every day for concealed I would recommend something smaller and lighter.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
If the Glocks fit your hands, they're good guns. I've never been impressed by the accuracy of any factory Glock barrel and I'm not a big fan of the Poly rifling, especially if you're shooting heavy for caliber bullets.

Specific to the 10mm in Glocks, I don't like the large unsupported area at the case web in the factory barrels. I had factory ammo from multiple sources fail at the case head on multiple occasions when fired in a stock barrel of both a G20 and G29. I do like the feeding and reliability of the 10mm in the Glocks, which is important for what you want to do with the gun.

I sold both my G20 and G29 and moved to the 1911 platform which fit my hands better and worked better as an everyday carry gun for me. I just shoot the 1911s more accurately than I do a Glock. I had Dan Wesson and Kimber 10mm 1911s and both shot extremely well and fed 100% reliably once broke in.

The Glock definitely wins for price and availability, even if you factory in a replacement barrel. That alone is a pretty good selling point.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
I have a g20 g4 hit the shop for a customer today. I have owed more then a couple glocks and shot lots they always go down the road. Just not my cup of tea and have given me more issues then any other pistol brand I have owned.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline HighlandLofts

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »
I have a g20 g4 hit the shop for a customer today. I have owed more then a couple glocks and shot lots they always go down the road. Just not my cup of tea and have given me more issues then any other pistol brand I have owned.

A few years ago I bought a nice stainless 80 series Colt Combat Commander with very little round count at the Puyallup gun show. Nice gun and I love shooting it.
With the original Colt magazine either the fourth or fifth round the slide would not fully close, I would have to tap the back of the slide to close it. I tried several different types of factory ammo and had same problem.
I bought a Wilson magazine and that eliminated that problem.

So far my Glock 20 hasn't malfunctioned at all, actually none of my glocks had any problems except my 4th gen 17 with reloaded ammo my brother in-law gave me that wouldn't cycle in his Smith & Wesson.    8)
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline Bofire

• Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
 :) If you want to read one bad story, I witnessed a Glock 21 blow up!! after about a year of argument Glock claimed it was Remingtons fault, and Remington claimed it was Glocks fault. (Remington Golden Sabre ammo). Happened at the Tacoma PD range.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

* Recent Topics

Good Blacktail down. by Blacktail Sniper
[Today at 12:48:42 AM]

2017 Got it done by Blacktail Sniper
[Today at 12:47:32 AM]

Hirshey's Washington Hunts 2017 by bowhunterforever
[Today at 12:15:44 AM]

The neck by lokidog
[Yesterday at 11:55:18 PM]

BIG BUCK UP!!! by PlateauNDN
[Yesterday at 11:51:12 PM]