collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need a new scope for my 6.5 creedmoore asap, help with options!  (Read 5105 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Need to get new glass here asap for my 6.5, it's a Howa 1500 in a bedded Boyd's pro varmint.

I really was wanting something like the athlon Talos 4-14 ffp. Like the reticle, like the fact it's got turrets for dialing shots, price is right.

Looked at the closest thing vortex offered, the diamknback tactical in 4-12, wasn't super impressed.
Looked at the diamonback hp 4-16, clarity was awesome, seemed like it was well built, don't love the bdc reticle, would prefer the reticle the tactical comes with.

Now here's the stupid question of the day....
On the diamondback hp, if I were to want to dial up elevation for a shot in field, could I simply unscrew the cap and dial it up? Can a Kenton custom, or other aftermarket turret be used if I so wanted? If so, I feel like an idiot, I originally discounted this, and the viper hs, because it didn't have turrets.

So, get the athlon for 300$, or buy the diamonback hp? Or should I be looking at other scopes?
As of now, I own 3 vx-2 3-9's, a nikon 4-12, and a Burris 1-4. I'm not real scope savvy, but I love my diamondback binoculars, which is making me lean to vortex, that and if I'm not mistaken a member here sells vortex.

Basically I've got 400$ to spend on glass, hunting and shooting steel, needs to be able. To grow with the rifle as I build it. Hunting ranges up to 500 yds, but more realistically 300, we've got steel from 250-1950 yds.

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
Re: Need a new scope for my 6.5 creedmoore asap, help with options!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:58:04 AM »
you can find a Viper HS on sale for less than $400 and purchase a custom turret for around $75. Don't know much about Athlon but there's my  :twocents:
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
Midway USA has the viper 6.5-20 with NFC retical on sale right now for 329.00. Seems to be a decent scope for the money.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »
Id have a cds put on one of those 3-9 leupys, and itll work fine to 500 plus easy... simple to use, effective, and will save ya some coin.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »
Need to get new glass here asap for my 6.5, it's a Howa 1500 in a bedded Boyd's pro varmint.

I really was wanting something like the athlon Talos 4-14 ffp. Like the reticle, like the fact it's got turrets for dialing shots, price is right.

Looked at the closest thing vortex offered, the diamknback tactical in 4-12, wasn't super impressed.
Looked at the diamonback hp 4-16, clarity was awesome, seemed like it was well built, don't love the bdc reticle, would prefer the reticle the tactical comes with.

On the diamondback hp, if I were to want to dial up elevation for a shot in field, could I simply unscrew the cap and dial it up? Can a Kenton custom, or other aftermarket turret be used if I so wanted? If so, I feel like an idiot, I originally discounted this, and the viper hs, because it didn't have turrets.

So, get the athlon for 300$, or buy the diamonback hp? Or should I be looking at other scopes?
As of now, I own 3 vx-2 3-9's, a nikon 4-12, and a Burris 1-4. I'm not real scope savvy, but I love my diamondback binoculars, which is making me lean to vortex, that and if I'm not mistaken a member here sells vortex.

Basically I've got 400$ to spend on glass, hunting and shooting steel, needs to be able. To grow with the rifle as I build it. Hunting ranges up to 500 yds, but more realistically 300, we've got steel from 250-1950 yds.

@elknut1   sells Vortek stuff on here.

I haven't met him face to face, but have bought form him and he is super reliable and honest.   Also very willing to discuss your needs and make recommendations.     Based on my needs, he recommended the lower end of what I was actually looking at.

I have lots of Vortex glass (3 sons and 1 daughter also hunt) and I'd buy from elknut1......

At least give him a call.   He is very knowledgeable.... I lost his number or I'd PM it to you.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
+1 for getting the viper series at a discount rather than the diamondback or other scopes you mentioned.  It doesn't matter what price you pay for a Vortex -- get the best one you can and if ANYthing goes wrong, Vortex will make it like new.

Same for Leupold. 

Offline biggfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
The diamondback hp does have turrets they are short and capped for protection. This is the scope I'm planning to get for a Howa in .300 win mag. I personally love the bdc reticle I have two other diamondbacks with the same reticle. I use the ballistics calculator in their sight to see where they hit for the ammo I use and its pretty much right on.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 11:17:58 PM »
I like the diamond back HP. I have a couple 3-12x on our 6.8 rifles and don't have to dial in for 400yds which is 200 past the zero. It's about 7.5 MOA drop as my memory tells me so we just hold over.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »

@elknut1   sells Vortek stuff on here.

I haven't met him face to face, but have bought form him and he is super reliable and honest.   Also very willing to discuss your needs and make recommendations.     Based on my needs, he recommended the lower end of what I was actually looking at.

I have lots of Vortex glass (3 sons and 1 daughter also hunt) and I'd buy from elknut1......

At least give him a call.   He is very knowledgeable.... I lost his number or I'd PM it to you.

Yeah I'm going to buy through elknut when it's time, had a couple unexpected bills hit I had to pay, probably going to buy next month.
Thanks for the help!

Offline DanielLee5

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 10:31:13 PM »
Something from ATN may be? I am not expert, but I own very good thermal scope from these guys, and I as far as I know they provide with all the possible types of professional optics.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:43:39 PM »
Kentons are $200 for turrets..

I had a Vortex Diamondback on my 6.5 CM. I think it was 4.5x14-50 and it shot to a thousand yards. If you know what you're doing, the gun and scope will too.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
Be sure to check out Primary Arms.  They have a few 4-14 FFP scopes that are under $300.  Tons of features for the $. 
They are mil/mil.  They have mildot or their ACS ret, FFP, etc, etc.
The one thing I noticed is that they are a bit heavy.

I have one mildot, and one ACSS, if you were closer I would let you look thru both.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »
SWFA scopes too. Good price point.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
you can find a Viper HS on sale for less than $400 and purchase a custom turret for around $75. Don't know much about Athlon but there's my  :twocents:

:yeah:

You can also put the stickers on the turret for about $25.  The scopes are on sale all the time and I think a couple were even on the classifieds around here at one time.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »
If you like Vortex optics, Cabelas has the Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 going on sale starting tomorrow through Nov. 22 for $349 (reg price is $549) 

A few others that may work for you that will be on sale are:

Leupold VX2 4-12x40 $249. (sale price is only good from Nov. 9th-22nd

Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 w/AO $249  (I have a couple of these scopes, one of which is on my 17 Hornet and it's a nice scope for the money.  Nov.15th one day only sale)

Zeiss HD5 2-10x42 $499 (That's a $430 savings over new and that is a one day only sale on Sunday Nov. 19th)

Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 w/RZ800 reticle $699  (If you can swing it, I think this would make for a very nice set up on a 6.5 Creed, especially for long range work and FYI this is a tomorrow only sale.)

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal