collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Salmon Farming Discussion  (Read 4529 times)

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
Re: Salmon Farming Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Uh pretty sure the natives want nothing to do with those swimming rats!
No commercial fishermen do. But responsible and sustainable fish farming is the future, taking pressure off our wild salmon stocks.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
yet.  Mostly because they drive down the price of the fish caught in gill nets.
Exactly! But let's get this back to the catching of not the should they be here conversation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
There are a lot of rumors floating around about these salmon farms,and none of the claims have been proven.
NATURE HAS A WAY

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
The natives do way more for raising and sustaining our silver and king stocks than WDFW does
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 06:47:34 PM »
The natives do way more for raising and sustaining our silver and king stocks than WDFW does
A lot more.  Steelhead too.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Uh pretty sure the natives want nothing to do with those swimming rats!
No commercial fishermen do. But responsible and sustainable fish farming is the future, taking pressure off our wild salmon stocks.

Farming killed the wild Atlantic salmon industry in Europe. Everyone says they're responsible until something like this happens. This collapse of the pen will have unforeseen consequences that won't be good for native fish. The only responsible farms I know are concrete, filter the water that returns to the source, and burns the filtered sludge. No direct exposure to any water source and no possibility of escape.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline SpringerFan

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
:tup: they look like they would eat good to me

If you like your fish fed with food pellets that have food coloring....eat away. May be fun to catch.

Or got to Costco.  Same stuff.
We don't blame cars for drunk drivers......Why blame guns for violent people...

NRA, Pheasants Forever, WWESSC.....tried to join Washington for Wildlife.org but my IP is banned??? 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
These comments were split off the original "Atlantics" topic to create a discussion topic for those who want to discuss the politics of salmon farming!

Please do not trash other member's topics regarding their fishing success!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 05:47:02 AM »
 :yeah:

Thanks for the explanation
I though I was having a senior moment
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »
Yes, I remember the good old days where we would knock the snot out of the silvers in Totten inlet in September.  Drifting across Baron Point throwing spinners or slow trolling green or blue pirate Wiggle Warts.  It was common to hook 10+ coho up t0 16 pounds.  Those days are long gone.  I did have an oddball year about 4 years ago where we were hooking 5-7  pound coho just South of the Hartstene bridge.  Easily got limits every day for about a week/

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
  I did have an oddball year about 4 years ago where we were hooking 5-7  pound coho just South of the Hartstene bridge.  Easily got limits every day for about a week/

Can't have that! I'm sure it's gone for good now.
NATURE HAS A WAY

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 11:15:26 AM »
The thing I don't like about farmed salmon is that they soend their entire life cycle in the pens in one location. 300,000 fish (in this ONE particular pen) pooping in one spot, along with their food coloring pellets. Yes there are currents but it doesn't go very far. Food coloring and antibiotics pellets that make their way out of the pens, daily, with smaller fish cleaning up the scraps doesn't sound good to me. These fish that escaped will also compete with food sources for wild salmon. At roughly 50k escapees a year, even though they don't reproduce in streams (so far*) they are still taking away from other salmon stocks.

Wild and hatchery salmon go out to the open ocean and feed and do their thing and only come Back in to spawn. There are a few resident salmon that stay in the sound year round but for the most part they don't.

The bighorn sheep pneumonia is a great example of negative effects of a farmed animal on a wild animal. Why couldn't a similar thing happen with salmon?

Right now we are seeing the perfect storm of the "blob" and some low and warm stream conditions. Hopefully we will see a good recovery but it might take a while.

We need to mop these ones up and get rid of the farms in Puget Sound! If you're okay eating them go for it, get them outta here!

*I read in an article recently that there have been some found reproducing in a few streams on Vancouver Island.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 04:34:08 PM »
I'd just like to take the time and maybe provide a little extra information for people who find this Atlantic Farm Salmon topic, interesting/frustrating/educating. I have been involved with "the fishing industry" for around 12-14 years now.  I studied Fish and Wildlife Management at Montana State University (one of the best biology/widlife programs impo.) After my years at MSU, I fell into the world of Commercial Fishing. I spent around 6 years working in different operations from Mexico, all the way up to Alaska.  After being exposed to a variety of fisheries, I landed a great gig as an assistant manager in a seafood department for one of WA's top grocery chains; after spending a couple years there I received an offer to work in the broker/trading world; and a couple years later, I am currently the West Coast Sales Manager for the nation's largest Shrimp and Crab importer. 

Seafood is a crazy game; there is so much going on; it seems impossible to keep track of.  Currently, the US only uses 10% of "available seafood" within the boundaries of our greater nation. That means that around 90% is imported from around other countries.  We see so much product in grocery stores, fish markets and restaurants that is local or from the US, we forget how big the industry is.  Salmon Farming was originally presented to the state Alaska, as an ideal industry for additional income and the added selling points of it coming from the "pristine icy waters"; hoping to lure more tourists to its land.  After the state dismissed the idea, British Columbia took it upon themselves to expand and try to pollinate this idea.  Currently, BC is one of the largest Salmon Farming producers in the world.  Chile and Norway also have their hands in the game.  For sportsman world wide, the idea of a penned salmon means nothing to them; if anything it's a nuisance and disruptive to the native species.  There are important factors to remember though.  When an aquaculture facility decides to plant their roots and develop a facility for a species to be raised, you are looking at, at least 3 years before the plan is actually implemented. FDA and USDA regulations are so strict that unless a facility can meet the standard for exporting the fish out of the country; they will not processed, due to the fact that money will be lost and product will be wasted.  When we are talking about farmed raised fish, it is important to note that not all plants use food pellets, which contain antibiotics in them; in addition, a lot of plants are looking to the future and becoming aware of not using animal bi products in their feed.  Most operations find the hardest part of raising a fish to be the rearing stage; this time frame occurs after they are fry and before they become marketable adults. When antibiotics are given and fish/shrimp die; it is more likely that the species itself had a degenerative disease, rather than the actual antibiotic or feed causing the issue. Leading to the fact that strong/healthy fish are the ones making it through a full cycle and large enough for market.  The main point I am reaching to is, the regulations which are carried out in both US operations and outer country operations are so strict, that it is improper to point out that these fish are causing native species to not return and be impacted by them.  For years, we have had pens in the sound and in BC waters, with no major kill off on our native fish. Salmon are a species that know a few things:  To eat, swim the easiest path and spawn.  That is what they were born for, and that that is what will keep happening.  It would be nice to say that counter balancing Commercial Fishing and Farm Raising will return levels back to normal; but that is unlikely. As mentioned previously; farmed raised species are found on our plates everyday.  Poultry, Beef, Pork; these are all commonly found animals which are raised for food; if they were not injected with antibiotics, more than likely we would be eating unhealthy species and probably getting sick all the time.  The heavy swinging fist that gets thrown at farm raised seafood is unfortunate; it is marketable and is needed to help not only countries provide more income, but to be sure wild fisheries are not depleted.  When we are specifically talking about Cooke's pen that broke, it's important to note that the company went to the surrounding area and tossed food into the water, finding large groups still together and right near the pen.  They then were able to vacuum them into a tank and bring them back to the facility.  Do I think that companies should be careful on making sure structurally they are sound? Yes!  Do I think that they are bad for the environment and will shut down native species, no!  If you do not like farmed fish, eat wild!  If you need to save money and want to consume the needed protein, buy farmed and save yourself some money.  There is a path for everyone out there!

Thanks!
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 04:52:07 PM »
I am not against farmed fish or ranched cattle, but I am against mega feedlots and the type of concentrated fish farming that led to this accident.  Like everything, there are good ways to do things and not so good ways.  Unfortunately, we group guys like Joel Salatin in with Smithfield when we talk about raising food and make it an all or nothing discussion.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]