collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Im new. I dont know what to do  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Matty J

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Im new. I dont know what to do
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »
If there is a intro page I apologize I missed it. I will try to keep this short. I normally hunt elk via archery but I have a special needs child this means time and money is a premium and i usually don't have both at the same time. Anyways elk season is not happening for me this year and I was thinking of going after some coyotes this winter. Having never hunted coyotes intentionally I was hoping for some advice on some calls and areas to check out (no honey holes). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.   
With a little bit of luck anything will do for brains

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: Im new. I dont know what to do
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
There is a new member thread for intro's.Any rabbit or fawn call will bring them in.The Wenas area in Selah,We would love for hunters to come and thin them out.Anywhere between Yakima and Ellensburg are thick with yotes.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:36:16 AM »
I can't help with coyotes but here's the link to the new member introductions. We'd love to hear about you and your hunting. Welcome.  :tup:

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,329.msg2886755.html#new
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:22 AM »
I'm am older hunter and still read books,  there are some good coyote hunting books, Ron Spomer, Gerry Blair and Phil Simonski all good reading to learn about coyote hunting.

Most of the videos I've seen were just "kill shows" with little instruction, but there is a pretty good one from Tony Tebbe of Predator University.

Most public land in WA will have coyotes, finding sign, tracks and scat is a big plus.

Learn to approach your stand unheard, unseen and unsmelt.

Use the wind to your advantage  you don't want it to blow your scent into the area you think the coyote will come from.  A coyotes nose is very good, cover scents don't work, to them you just smell like a hunter with cover scent on.

On the stand don't skyline yourself, try to have some type of cover behind you to break up you shape, sit in the shade and keep movement to an absolute minimum.

As to sounds, there is no magic sound most will call coyotes if it peaks their interest, even sounds of animals that they have never seen or heard before.  If using a mouth call the more emotion you can put into seem to trigger a reaction better.

Shoot straight, practice shooting sitting as you would be on your stand.

Enjoy yourself and don't get discouraged it is tougher than it looks on TV.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal