collapse

Author Topic: YETI Tundra or Cabelas polar cap?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline TVHunts

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
Re: YETI Tundra or Cabelas polar cap?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »
Coleman extreme at wall mart.

Six blocks of ice lasts two weeks.

:yeah: on sale @1/8th the cost of Yeti.

But, not 1/8 of some of the Yeti competitors.

I have a Cabelas polar ice cap 80 and,  65 & 45 RTIC coolers.  I feel they are worth the extra money over time. I don't think I will ever need to replace them in my lifetime and that is worth something to me. Pre-cooling is important with any of them. I have used my RTIC 40 to prevent freezing in single digit temps for days on end for beverages in Eastern way during bird season.  They work well for that as well and it is hard to believe in those kind of temps they can prevent freezing. I personally am sold on them and have given away igloo and other coolers that have caused many a trip to a store for more ice in a couple or few days. 
Thank God Obama's gone!

TRUMP, please make America great again!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »
Sweet, I have thrown small day coolers in the freezer, never tried with the big one.  I think look into this.

I've thought about this and seen people mention putting their coolers in the freezer. Not sure I could have a whole freezer dedicated to cooling my coolers though.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Angry Perch

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »
The gallon square milk jugs from Costco work awesome for ice. 4 of them laying down fit perfectly in my 65 quart Pelican.

Offline dreamunelk

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 10:02:37 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I pulled the trigger on a Cabelas 80qt.  This will mainly be used for early archery.  I take the whole season off.  This year I may miss one day.  Only time we come out is to get ice and whatever.  While we tent it we do not lack for much, especially food.  So I want something that will keep everything cold for a while.  Steak, smoked brisket, fresh baked apple pie and other wonderful delicacies are often found in our camp.  Some of the young ground pounders who make me think there is hope for hunters often find there way to our camp.  They say it is for advice from us old timers.  We are not fooled.  There timing is always around dinner or breakfast.  Our camp boss always feeds them.  We don't gripe they are more then willing to help the old guys pack an elk out.  If you know where to look you can actually see our camp on google earth.  The tent is a small home when we get through with it.  We have the Coleman extremes and they work good.  Even with care we never get a whole season out of ice.  So we will see.   If I am not happy I will take it back and blast it on here.  If it reduces trips to civilization by one it will pay for itself.
The down side of all this is you introduced me to brands I have never heard of.  That is not good for the wallet.

PS: if there is smoke coming from the smoker everyone will be back to camp early.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 05:43:52 AM »
They just put that Polar cap on sale for $349. If you didn't get it for that price or better they should make the adjustment for you. Also saw that a guy on Ifish has a brand new one hes selling for $300 if anybody is interested.

Offline Camo

• Hunter
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »
I've been debating this for awhile. My issue is the weight of the cooler. The RTIC 65 (assume similar to other rotomolded) is 35#. Add the listed capacity of 70# ice, granted, maybe not the same as a cooler full of food, and your lifting a 105# cooler into the back of a 1-ton 4x truck. Pushing 50, I have to take this into consideration, as I often hunt alone due to schedules and weapon choices. These definitely have their place, especially if your 2 hours from additional ice, or have buddies for both onload and offload. Or, if bear-proof is necessary, as I have a 154Qt Igloo with bear tooth marks and yes he got it open the day before he died attempting round 2. Maybe the rotomold design offsets the necessary amount of ice, making up for the 12# weight of conventional design? Would appreciate any experienced thoughts on this, considering that even for myself on a 9 day hunt I usually gravitate to the capacity of 120 qt. cooler.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline dreamunelk

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
Well I hate to admit it but, I have to give my approval of the Cabelas polar cap.
16 days since I put food in it and two block and two bags of cubed ice.  A few cubes left and both blocks are still about three quarters.  Kept every thing cold and my frozen stuff was the last to thaw.  Everyone in camp was impressed.  For those that mentioned extremes I own one and there are others in camp.  They do great also just not as long.  We only did one ice run and that was mostly for the beer coolers and the cook wanted flour so she could make more biscuits.  Note: the cooler was only opened every other days or so. I am emptying and cleaning today after it sat in the back of my truck in the sun yesterday.  The truth is it will not replace my extremes or other coolers.  It is heavy and takes up a lot of room.   It's purpose was for the long trips at a base camp were I want to avoid having to leave the woods.  It served that purpose.  I also managed to gain weight again.  It is the cooks fault.
My extreme only got ice added once.  It was holding beverages.  No ice left.  Water and beverages still cold. 

* Recent Topics

Jolly mtn fire, Teanaway GMU 335 by pianoman9701
[Today at 07:31:55 AM]

Buck Down by Sitka_Blacktail
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

BBD. Norway pass by The scout
[Today at 06:53:45 AM]

Sheep Hunting and snakes by The scout
[Today at 06:51:39 AM]

The Rich Outdoors (Blacktail podcast) by The scout
[Today at 06:44:47 AM]

25-06 and blacktail by fish vacuum
[Today at 06:41:32 AM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by borntoslay
[Today at 06:40:21 AM]

Streak is over! by pianoman9701
[Today at 06:26:07 AM]

Wet optics while BT/Roosie hunting! by pianoman9701
[Today at 06:23:20 AM]

Wtb hawken by Dirty Mike
[Today at 06:22:54 AM]

Hotels in Republic, reccomendations. For modern deer. by Eric M
[Today at 06:16:41 AM]

Carson Hookupz Digiscope adapters by HntnFsh
[Today at 06:09:14 AM]

Rtspring and "E" have done it again! Buck down!!! Pics and story added.. by willapawapiti
[Today at 06:06:32 AM]

Upland hunting in the rain by joe_dumy
[Today at 06:02:36 AM]

1200 yards down to 100. 23rd Deer! by bman940
[Today at 05:26:30 AM]

Notched My Multi-Season Tag This Mornin' by Smokepole
[Today at 05:12:47 AM]

Peaches - Planning through the hunt by Stein
[Today at 04:48:41 AM]

First bear ever! Alpine by X-Force
[Today at 04:14:45 AM]

Bobcat down by bowhunterforever