collapse
A Hunting Trip of a lifetime in the Wenaha Tucannon Wilderness! Order Jason Phelps Calls Here

Author Topic: White river gmu closed  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Stein

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: White river gmu closed
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 08:27:10 PM »
Doesn't matter, if they re-enter the draw your odds don't go down unless you carry three or four significant digits right of the decimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CarbonHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
Doesn't matter, if they re-enter the draw your odds don't go down unless you carry three or four significant digits right of the decimal.

You lost me stein. The minimum is one digit to the left of the decimal as I understand the system.

If 50 people turn their permits back in and they average 10 points a piece, that's 5,000 applications back in the pool next year as opposed to 50 applications if they kept their permits. You don't feel that reduces your odds next year?

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 06:36:31 AM »
Seems to me anyone with ten or more points. Doesn't have any better chance then the guy with 4.   :dunno: see and hear about guys with 19 points not drawing but a guy with 5 does. Luck of the draw I guess.  :chuckle:

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »
With the odds being what they are, it's all luck.

Offline Bullkllr

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
Seems to me anyone with ten or more points. Doesn't have any better chance then the guy with 4.   :dunno: see and hear about guys with 19 points not drawing but a guy with 5 does. Luck of the draw I guess.  :chuckle:

Individual odds with 10 are better; there are just more guys with 4 putting in. As stated, luck rules.
"yoogle that on your google"

Offline Stein

• Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »

You lost me stein. The minimum is one digit to the left of the decimal as I understand the system.

If 50 people turn their permits back in and they average 10 points a piece, that's 5,000 applications back in the pool next year as opposed to 50 applications if they kept their permits. You don't feel that reduces your odds next year?

The way the math works is that the draw odds are so low in the best quality hunts that having another guy or ten in the draw doesn't noticeably change your odds.  If you have a 3% chance or a 3.004% chance, you have the same odds really.

The way I see it is that if you draw a tag, you should have a chance to hunt it.  If 50% of the unit burns up, especially if it is the 50% that 90% were going to hunt then it really is a different deal and not fair to the guy who drew with 19 points.  I applaud WDFW getting in front of it and reinstating the points.

That said, I'm keeping my tag.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
Good luck to you.  Hope your boots are broken in.  :tup:

Offline Crunchy

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
I'm glad I drew it last year.  Wouldn't be too happy to lose a huge chunk of the prime areas to the fires.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »

The way the math works is that the draw odds are so low in the best quality hunts that having another guy or ten in the draw doesn't noticeably change your odds.  If you have a 3% chance or a 3.004% chance, you have the same odds really.

The way I see it is that if you draw a tag, you should have a chance to hunt it.  If 50% of the unit burns up, especially if it is the 50% that 90% were going to hunt then it really is a different deal and not fair to the guy who drew with 19 points.  I applaud WDFW getting in front of it and reinstating the points.

:tup: hope it all works out and you bag a monster. Make the best of it.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »

Good luck. The lack of other hunters may give you an extra edge. :tup:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Blade

• Virtual Campfire
  • Tracker
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
466 is closed also

Offline Greg Mullins

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
I drew an archery bull tag. I was called and told the GMU was closed. I was told I could keep my tag in the event the UNIT reopened or have it postmarked by September 11 to get my points back. With the compiled points of 17 with my hunting partner I took my points back in the event the unit doesn't open before September 21 when the permit is over and I don't get to go elk hunting and I go back to zero points Really sucks but doesn't sting so  bad knowing next year we're going in with 18. It's just like seeing not selected again

Offline Elkcollector82

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
I drew an archery bull tag. I was called and told the GMU was closed. I was told I could keep my tag in the event the UNIT reopened or have it postmarked by September 11 to get my points back. With the compiled points of 17 with my hunting partner I took my points back in the event the unit doesn't open before September 21 when the permit is over and I don't get to go elk hunting and I go back to zero points Really sucks but doesn't sting so  bad knowing next year we're going in with 18. It's just like seeing not selected again

Well hopefully next year you can strike again and come out with a monster. Sorry bout all the work and not being able to put it to test.

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
Yes it sucks for all. But have seen how much of the unit is closed (national forest that is) I believe they felt it was the right choice.  Some of my favorite places have gone up in flames and most likely lost a few cameras. But on the bright side it should be pretty good in a few years.
If its brown knock it down

Offline CarbonHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »

Did your email say that you get a point for this year?  Technically you drew this year so you should get a point even though you got your points back. Should be the same as this year with 17 points. The WAC says you only get a point if you don't draw.

Offline highrisk

• Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
As of now GMU 346 Little Naches is closed.

Offline Stein

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »

Where did you see that?

Offline Bald378

• Pilgrim
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
How does one find out a GMU is closed? My dad has the quality rifle tag in 346 starting the 30th and he has not received any notification. Thanks in advance.

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
A guy in our camp has that archery tag, I sure hope the entire unit isn't closed.  He's been able to hit the eastside of the 1900 since the start.

Offline trophyhunt

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »
checked w the guys hunting up there, they said this is not true :dunno:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »

They can't close an entire GMU unless, I suppose, the whole entire GMU is public land. You can't close access to someone else's private land. Parts of it may be closed, but unless the entire GMU is public land, they can't close the whole thing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Frontiersman
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »

They can't close an entire GMU unless, I suppose, the whole entire GMU is public land. You can't close access to someone else's private land. Parts of it may be closed, but unless the entire GMU is public land, they can't close the whole thing.

WDFW could do an emergency closure and close down hunting in the gmu, much like they do with rivers and fishing...

It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »

WDFW could do an emergency closure and close down hunting in the gmu, much like they do with rivers and fishing...

Have you seen that done before?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Frontiersman
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
I believe there was an instance in the mid-1970's they delayed opening day of deer in October for a week or so due to extreme fire danger, but was so long ago, I can't remember what year exactly.

Regardless, it doesn't take away the fact that they have the authority to open or close an area, especially in emergent situations like high fire danger or actual fires.  Just seems like commonsense to me, they can open or close a fishery outside of posted seasons, why not the same with hunting??

Not stating that is what is happening as I don't know, I am just saying it may be a possibility.   Don't believe WDFW has ever offered to take back permits and refund points across the board either, but they are now...

It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »
I believe there was an instance in the mid-1970's they delayed opening day of deer in October for a week or so due to extreme fire danger, but was so long ago, I can't remember what year exactly.

Regardless, it doesn't take away the fact that they have the authority to open or close an area, especially in emergent situations like high fire danger or actual fires.  Just seems like commonsense to me, they can open or close a fishery outside of posted seasons, why not the same with hunting??

Not stating that is what is happening as I don't know, I am just saying it may be a possibility.   Don't believe WDFW has ever offered to take back permits and refund points across the board either, but they are now...

@Bob33  Any thoughts on this?

What do you mean by refunding points across the board?
Points were refunded in the Wenaha and Tucannon a couple years ago for the archery guys due to the big fire down in that country too. It was optional. A couple guys I know of kept their permits and killed big bulls.
I'm not trying to argue...legitimate questions that Bob and I were talking about the other day.

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics

MT CWD Hunt Discussion by andrew_in_idaho
[Today at 01:56:09 AM]

My Blacktail season comes to an awsome close by RB
[Today at 12:43:11 AM]

Grizzly Bear Hunt by RB
[Today at 12:41:03 AM]

2 wolves shot NE Washington by wolfbait
[Today at 12:14:39 AM]

Illinois Whitetail Hunt by northwesthunter84