collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First M-T Muley Trip  (Read 12116 times)

Offline klikboom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Die Living ... if you have a choice.
Re: First M-T Muley Trip
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
Was browsing onx last night, that is a cool map program found lots and lots of BLM land and state land, looking near border of region 5 and region 7, draws have bushes and timber and some of the local summits as well. Looks like great deer country.

So there is a bunch of private "association" land surrounding some of these BLM areas, should I write a letter to the address they have on file requesting walk in hunt access? Do people do that?

I'm going to try to get a reservation or two if I can, found some smaller units. It is not too far from some major highways and towns but hoping it's not too busy for weekday hunting.

Is there any way to pick up a second meat deer via doe tag? I'd really like to stock up on meat. I see there are some deer B licenses left but that appears to be a totally different license.

Offline fishsticks

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
Was browsing onx last night, that is a cool map program found lots and lots of BLM land and state land, looking near border of region 5 and region 7, draws have bushes and timber and some of the local summits as well. Looks like great deer country.

So there is a bunch of private "association" land surrounding some of these BLM areas, should I write a letter to the address they have on file requesting walk in hunt access? Do people do that?

I'm going to try to get a reservation or two if I can, found some smaller units. It is not too far from some major highways and towns but hoping it's not too busy for weekday hunting.

Is there any way to pick up a second meat deer via doe tag? I'd really like to stock up on meat. I see there are some deer B licenses left but that appears to be a totally different license.

If you don't already have it, call fish wildlife and parks to get a copy of the current block management book.  It's also online; but it explains block management, the types of access, where it is and how to gain access.

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
Some B tags can be purchased OTC and some are draws. You will have to determine what area you want to hunt first and then look at the regulations.

Offline klikboom

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »

If you don't already have it, call fish wildlife and parks to get a copy of the current block management book.  It's also online; but it explains block management, the types of access, where it is and how to gain access.

What i was trying to say is the private land is not block management land, just private land with a published owner.

Offline klikboom

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
Made two two-day reservations for different BMM, takes care of Monday-Thursday and thinking thurs-Sunday maybe just hitting other public land (blm/state) as needed.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »
Beings you said in the OP that you are BT hunters usually killing spikes & forkies, you guys will be lucky to stay off the trigger long enough to make it 4 days. :chuckle: :tup: It will be a blast for ya just don't put too much pressure yourselves. Should be lots of deer and lots of opportunity to put your tags on one.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »
Send me a PM if you want and I'll see if I can help you out.  I don't want to discuss specifics in this thread.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline klikboom

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
Haha that's what I was thinking! I'm already having dreams about it. I dreamt I shot a wide 4pt then ran up to it, it was super wide and all the points were 1" tall. I was like "nooooooo. It's just a dream. It's just a dream. It's just a dream."

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
Just pray you don't get snow and -20 like we did our first go around. We still got deer but it wasn't fun by any means. Last years mild temps and light winds were perfect. :tup:

Offline dune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
Don't worry - 20 in MT is like 30 above here just bring warm clothing

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 05:45:09 AM »
 :chuckle: yup right up in tell the wind blows and then it don't matter how much you have on because your eyeballs froze shut. I will be praying for moderate weather. :tup:

Offline klikboom

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »
What do you guys do for boots in -20? The only thing I'm thinking is like a neoprene wrap for my boots. Don't feel like buying those battery powered socks

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
Electric socks are great if you're mostly in a stand. Not so great if you're doing demanding hiking and climbing all day long.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 06:33:15 AM »
I wore my kenetreks, a couple pair of good socks & gaiters. The gaiters really help imo. When its that cold you can't sit still for very long and if the air is moving at all even be outside the truck for very long. Give me teens at nite and 40's during the day and I will be happy. :tup:

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
 :yeah:

We were in MT in November 2014 when it was -20, after it gets below about -5 its just cold.....

As for boots/socks, I would stay away from neoprene, your feet will sweat which will only make the cold worse.  Get yourself some good wool socks and wear your regular hunting boots.  Walking a lot at -20 isn't much fun....once you kill something at those temps, its amazing how much you can sweat dragging though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]