collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall season  (Read 2861 times)

Offline scotrobe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Fall season
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »
Hi all. My teenage son has yet to harvest his first turkey and still has a tag. I am planning to take him to Eastern WA in late fall (Nov) since you can harvest either sex which will, hopefully, mean more opportunities to harvest a bird. I'm wondering if anyone has had success in the fall season, especially that late, and if you have any tips. My son and I are beginners. (This is our first year turkey hunting.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:52:46 PM by scotrobe »

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
Re: Fall season
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
I used to hunt the fall hunt. Its a blast, hit the counties with the largest populations. There will be more then enough birds to harvest. The birds will be in their winter groups by then. So instead of a few birds at a time, there may be hundreds at a time. What is really fun about this is, you can afford to experiment. I like running through a flock and scattering them. Then use what is called the Kee kee run. It is the sound a hen makes to bring all her poults back. You will hear it within in 10 minutes of scattering a flock. Just set up where you scared them and they will come...Also when you run through a flock in the fall, its not unheard of to be able to grab a couple birds on the way by. A lot of the younger birds hit the deck when they hear there moms sound off. And as you run by you can grab them if you are fast. Have fun :)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:39:54 AM »
Lots of birds this year. Go in Sept. when you can shoot 2 hens.. They usually work their way to water first thing out of the roost. Set -up and ambush. Just find the roost and the water source. Good luck
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline scotrobe

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
Lots of birds this year. Go in Sept. when you can shoot 2 hens.. They usually work their way to water first thing out of the roost. Set -up and ambush. Just find the roost and the water source. Good luck
Awesome advice. Thanks!!

Offline scotrobe

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »
I used to hunt the fall hunt. Its a blast, hit the counties with the largest populations. There will be more then enough birds to harvest. The birds will be in their winter groups by then. So instead of a few birds at a time, there may be hundreds at a time. What is really fun about this is, you can afford to experiment. I like running through a flock and scattering them. Then use what is called the Kee kee run. It is the sound a hen makes to bring all her poults back. You will hear it within in 10 minutes of scattering a flock. Just set up where you scared them and they will come...Also when you run through a flock in the fall, its not unheard of to be able to grab a couple birds on the way by. A lot of the younger birds hit the deck when they hear there moms sound off. And as you run by you can grab them if you are fast. Have fun :)
Great. Now, I can't wait to go!  Thanks for the advice.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101