collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cat down!  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Cat down!
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »
As some of you may have noticed in a different thread a member here said they had seen a cougar cross the road and did shoot it because he didn't have a tag but he would tell someone who may be interested the location of the cougar. I knew he had a green diamond access pass. I also had the pass so I decided to contact him. He graciously told me the location he had seen the cat. The next day I drove out to check out the location since I was not familiar with the exact spot. I drove in and checked things out. I poked around a little while. But since I didn't have much time yesterday afternoon I decided I would go back out there this afternoon and see what I could do.

While at work this morning I had to make a run to the machine shop. Great group of guys that have taught me so much over the last few years.  Always enjoys bull $#!+ing with these guys. Well during the course of our usual conversation (hunting/fishing/how the current season is going) by buddy shows me his new game cart he bought. He then tells me that he's had it in the back of his rig since archery elk season opened and nobody has used it yet. He tells me that he should just take it out of his truck so someone will shoot an elk. Cause isnt that how it works. Well next he says that I need to go shoot something so we can put it to the test. Ok, I will see what I can do.

Well fast forward a couple hours and I'm getting off work at 3pm. I start the trek out to where I had been the last night. As I'm heading out to the chosen I'm follwing this truck. As we round a slight bend in the road I spot a flash of movement cross in front of him. I look to see what is was or to see if he hits it. Next I see a cougar jump into the reprod. I immediately pull over and jump out. Grab my rifle and head in behind it. The first cougar I harvested a few years ago didn't go to far from the road so I thought maybe I had a chance. But it was just to thick in there. At this time (3:28pm) I text my buddy to let him know I had seen one and where I was at. I get back to my rig and I pulled up Google maps. I see there are are couple of logging roads that are in this patch of reprod and infront of where the cougar was headed. So I drive down the road to the closest gate. As I'm grabbing my stuff I remembered I had a rabbit distress call buried in the back of the rig somewhere. So i grabbed it and I make the hike in. I find the spot I had picked on the map and get set up. I have a nice long shot down this old spur road. I look at my phone (3:51pm) and start my calling sequence. About 30-45 seconds of rabbit distress. Then sit still and watch for about 5 min then repeat. After my third set off calls and as I'm waiting those 5 min I hear some thing then see movement coming straight at me and close. I start to raise my rifle and she caught my movement. She stops and lifts her head to check me out. But by doing that it gave me a clear shot at her chest. I clicked the safety off and squeezed the trigger. As I recover from the recoil I watched her drop in her tracks. I get up and walk the whopping 27 yards that stood between us to make sure she was done. I immediately call my buddy to let him know what happened and to have him bring the cart. Of course he doesn't answer. So at 4:12 pm I send him a picture of the cat. A short while later he is in the woods with me and after hugs and high fives and some pictures we finally took the stink off the new cart. Thanks again man. 

She was a dry female. When I got home she weighed in dressed at 70lbs. I'm figuring she was about 85 or so lbs live weight. She had nothing in her stomach so must have been hungry for rabbit. Anyways sorry for such a long winded post. Here are some pictures for you guys

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:53:58 AM by bobcat »
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Online redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
Re: Cat down!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:26 PM »
Cool story congrats on a nice cat.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »
Nice work  :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:25:07 AM »
That's awesome! Good work :tup:

Offline westsideoutdoorsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:45:51 AM »
Pretty kitty !

Grats!

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:09:54 AM »
Wow, congrats on a successful mission!
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:22:28 AM »
Congrats very cool thanks for sharing
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:15:11 AM »
That's great, good job! When I read the post that a cougar had been spotted I never thought someone would have a chance of going back to the same spot and actually seeing it, let alone killing it! You just saved a lot of deer that's for sure.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 06:19:53 AM »
great story, congrats  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 06:30:46 AM »
Excellent work!
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »
Long winded hunting stories are the best kind.  Thank you for sharing your experience.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 06:40:38 AM »
Nice kitty. :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:55 AM »
Ah she's sleeping on that rolling chair you put her in. lol

Offline Hilltophustler

• Hunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:47:46 AM »
Nice work cuz  :tup:

Offline Blsum

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »
That's great, good job! When I read the post that a cougar had been spotted I never thought someone would have a chance of going back to the same spot and actually seeing it, let alone killing it! You just saved a lot of deer that's for sure.

I wish it was the same spot but it actually was a ways away from where he had told me the cat was. 12 miles or so. I know there are a lot of cats out in that area. I just happened to see this one cross the road. I figured it must have been hungry if it was moving around at 3 in the afternoon on a warm day. So I got ahead of it and started ringing the dinner bell.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]