collapse

Author Topic: "Environmental Group Challenges Aerial Spraying"  (Read 1351 times)

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: "Environmental Group Challenges Aerial Spraying"
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
...but there also must be a way out for the timber companies to manage undergrowth, and that's where lifting the EPA no slash burning requirements comes in.

Pman,
I have to admit that I'm not knowledgeable in today's forestry practices.  My understanding of slash burning is that the non-harvested wood that remains in a clearcut is piled into slash piles, and that after a time these piles are burned.  I'm not sure how this impacts the vegetation that grows in a clearcut after the timber is harvested, which is what the spraying targets.  If the cleared area is burned (the ground vegetation included), I can see how the ground vegetation is managed by burning, but if the burning is limited to the slash piles themselves, I don't see how that impacts the rest of the cut where the vegetation is growing. 
Am I wrong in my understanding of slash burning?

I may be using the wrong term, but I thought that when they burned the logged lots of the piles, it burned all of the new growth vegetation, as well. I may be talking out of my butt.

Old style burns would be the whole clear cut, fire lines were dug around the edges, and there were some piles, a guy with a drip torch would walk the cut lighting up the whole unit.

Really clean unit was left after the burn, deer, and elk loved them for all the forage that grey back, plus it was easy for them to walk they.

I wish there was some way to clean up the cuts now.  Seems every cut has 2 feet of slash on top of the ground, which ends up being leg breakers when the vegetation grows and hides it all.  Those blacktails seem to get through it pretty well, but it takes me 30 minutes to go 50 yards!

Offline singleshot12

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »
...but there also must be a way out for the timber companies to manage undergrowth, and that's where lifting the EPA no slash burning requirements comes in.

Well the EPA needs to re-think and change their laws then. A little smoke is a helluva lot better and more natural than man made life killing poisons. But like everything else things are too political and common sense and what's good for the environment is out the door.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Frontiersman
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »
I do not think the private timber companies would go back to slash burning if they could. It requires too many people be available for fire control and they are all about putting people out of a job.
Aerial spraying is probably the cheapest way for them to go.
IMO piling and burning the piles doesn't help much. Still a lot of stuff to wade through.
Also seems to me like the deer don't use the brushy areas much. It's harder for them to get around in the stuff too.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline konradcountry

• Virtual Campfire
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:54 PM »

It's not my logic. It's testing and statistics.

"...compared with the general population, the rates for certain diseases, including some types of cancer, appear to be higher among agricultural workers, which may be related to exposures that are common in their work environments. For example, farming communities have higher rates of leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and soft tissue sarcoma, as well as cancers of the skin, lip, stomach, brain, and prostate.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/ahs-fact-sheet

What they are talking about is an increased risk of various conditions for farm workers, not a direct connection to Glyphosate. It isn't like tobacco smoke where there was a clear correlation with users. Farm workers are exposed to all kinds of chemicals which includes herbicides and pesticides not available to the public.

I'm all for organic farming but Glyphosate has been studied heavily around the world. It uses a pathway that doesn't exist in people or animals. There are state workers that spray it all day and it has been on the market for decades.

Now if they are spraying pesticides or other chemicals of a plane then that is a different issue.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »

* Recent Topics

Neah Bay Rock fish newbie by BIGMIKE
[Today at 07:35:46 AM]

Brady by ribka
[Today at 07:35:28 AM]

New Bird gun help by Tjkride
[Today at 07:32:43 AM]

Commercial Fishing by Fl0und3rz
[Today at 07:31:53 AM]

Stolen camera!!! by Dan-o
[Today at 07:06:23 AM]

Keegan Wilder fundraiser auction #16 .22 mag ammo from Ghost Hunter by Ghost Hunter
[Today at 06:43:55 AM]

Keegan Wilder fundraiser auction #17 Custom bird feeder from Ghost Hunter by Ghost Hunter
[Today at 06:40:55 AM]

Idaho Archery Elk in Pioneer Zone by lord grizzly
[Today at 06:29:01 AM]

Cougar down by bearpaw
[Today at 06:04:52 AM]

Western Wyoming Mule Deer in Crisis by bearpaw
[Today at 05:59:56 AM]

Heads up, Incoming BAD legislation, rattle the cages POLITELY in Olympia by poopooheaddad
[Today at 05:57:22 AM]

ElkNut Team- We Had Another Awesome Year! by boneaddict
[Today at 05:55:11 AM]

F/S NEW Benelli Super Sport 12 gauge 30" "REDUCED" by zwickeyman
[Today at 05:38:55 AM]

REI Co-Op Siesta 30 Sleeping Bag FS by adamR
[Today at 04:59:06 AM]

Klymit Static V2 Inflatable Sleeping Pad FS by adamR
[Today at 04:57:57 AM]

Cougar Research from Alberta by bearpaw
[Today at 04:46:43 AM]

Bloodsport Arrows by tgomez