collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Food Plot Wasn't A Total Bust  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Food Plot Wasn't A Total Bust
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
Posted a couple threads back in June describing some initial food plot efforts on my property in the Blues.  Everything looked really good until the dog fennel or mayweed popped up.  Guess you have to expect seeds lying in wait when you break ground. :chuckle: Although the dog fennel grew and flowered the deer continued to hammer the food plot planting under it.  Add to that almost 90 days of hot temperatures with no precipitation.  I feel somewhat optimistic that things went ok as far as what mother nature threw at the effort.

Fast forward till this week.  My soon and a friend decided to go over and do a little bear and turkey hunting.  They sat on a pretty decent boar most of one day after seeing it early in the morning and watched it go into some thick stuff.  Never saw it again.  They did shoot a couple jakes though. 

Most of the other time was spent mowing the existing plots with a newly aquired used Swisher 13 hp rough cut pull behind mower I fell into on Offer Up a couple months ago.  Almost embarrased to tell you what I paid for it...$200. :tup:  Changed the fuel lines, sparkplug, oil and filled with non ethanol gas.   It purred like a new machine.  One of the plots that I had sprayed in July was completely dead and mowed and disc up leaving new dirt ready to plant.  It was seeded with a fall mixture.  The other plot, was simply mowed as it had perennials in it and the deer were still using it.  That's the one with all the dog fennel.

Here are a few photos showing deer usage before dog fennel bloom, during bloom and after mowing this week (dusk photo).  As I said, I feel fortunate that the plot is still being heavily used.  Hopefully the overseeding will get a start and come in thicker in the spring.  Last picture is the plot that was just seeded to a fall mixture. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:37:55 PM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Food Plot Wasn't A Total Bust
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
Nice.  Looks like all is working out.  Is there cover close by for big bruiser bucks to hide in before and after eating?
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
Nice.  Looks like all is working out.  Is there cover close by for big bruiser bucks to hide in before and after eating?

Yes, have two large draws and a two hillsides up higher on the property all with very large Ponderosa Pine and lots of brush and other types...i.e native plum, elderberry etc (see first picture). 

Also down low have some large timber running the length of one entire side. You can see it in the second picture behind where the camping pad and trailer is.  In the second picture as well you can see the depression that runs up through that 50 acre field starting where the driveway enters the field (saskatoon berry trees on right) which is now all a food plot strip running much further up from what you can see.

Looking down from midway up the property shows those strips.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
That was a steal on the mower.  :tup:
Hopefully you got the weeds before they dumped more seed!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »

A steal it was.  Interesting thing about is that I was the first caller and said I take it.  By the next day when I picked it up he had numerous calls, many offering more than the asking price.  He was definitely a man of integrity as he told everyone it was already sold irregardless of offers.

As far as getting it before seeding out, probably not.  But with the mower I can now clip it next year before flowering and spray as well.  Just the nature of the food plot beast I guess. :chuckle: 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »

A steal it was.  Interesting thing about is that I was the first caller and said I take it.  By the next day when I picked it up he had numerous calls, many offering more than the asking price.  He was definitely a man of integrity as he told everyone it was already sold irregardless of offers.

As far as getting it before seeding out, probably not.  But with the mower I can now clip it next year before flowering and spray as well.  Just the nature of the food plot beast I guess. :chuckle:

weeds are the biggest enemy, they drive me nuts :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »
Nice! Looks like a great piece of land.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
 :yeah: I'm jealous.   :(
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]