collapse
LockNLoad Outfitting – Central Alberta Outfitter Be a more successful hunter!

Author Topic: Scent Control Debate  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Scent Control Debate
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »
We just need to go back to our roots and learn from other animals. No predator wears phony charcoal impregnated clothing or the latest and greatest anti-stink spray that is only good at separating hunters from their money. We should learn our lesson from the Scent lock lawsuits and the Doe urine controversy.
But if you really do want to spend some money, I am thinking of starting a new product called “Clean Air” you can buy it by the bottle and when you want to de-stinkify just open the bottle and pour “Clean Air” on you.
Lifetime Garuntee !!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pope

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »
:twocents: You cant always play the wind.  I take scent control way to seriously, I know that. 

However, I have very high confidence in animals not detecting me, or at least not detecting me enough to be scared off by my scent.   I have very carefully walked through the middle of a feeding elk herd (20 plus animals) in a clear cut in the Winston during early archery with numerous animals inside 20 yards and the closest being 5yds(which I have pictures of).  All was fine until the battery went dead in my camera and it started beeping.  Prior to that,  the animals knew I was there, but they did not feel I posed a threat.  Many more stories like this with elk, deer, and bear, but this one is the best example I think.

In addition to scent control, I think UV control plays a role.  I use Sport Wash and UV killer on all of my clothes.

I will do whatever I can to up my odds.

We hear the argument that the elimination of scent is not possible, so why bother? But what about reduction of scent? If reducing scent fools the deer's nose into thinking you are not a close threat, then maybe it's worth the effort.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
:twocents: You cant always play the wind.  I take scent control way to seriously, I know that. 

However, I have very high confidence in animals not detecting me, or at least not detecting me enough to be scared off by my scent.   I have very carefully walked through the middle of a feeding elk herd (20 plus animals) in a clear cut in the Winston during early archery with numerous animals inside 20 yards and the closest being 5yds(which I have pictures of).  All was fine until the battery went dead in my camera and it started beeping.  Prior to that,  the animals knew I was there, but they did not feel I posed a threat.  Many more stories like this with elk, deer, and bear, but this one is the best example I think.

In addition to scent control, I think UV control plays a role.  I use Sport Wash and UV killer on all of my clothes.

I will do whatever I can to up my odds.

We hear the argument that the elimination of scent is not possible, so why bother? But what about reduction of scent? If reducing scent fools the deer's nose into thinking you are not a close threat, then maybe it's worth the effort.

I think the issue is if any product sold, actually does as advertised and reduces or eliminates scent.

I have seen no scientific evidence that any work.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Let me 'splain it dis way.  If you are sitting on the sidelines during a game and there are 2 guys that are all sweaty and nasty.  One is using deodorant and the other none.  You will smell the one without far sooner than the guy that is.  Even if there is a breeze the guy without's stank will be much more prevalent and stronger than the other.  Neither smells good but one aint as nasty.  :chuckle:  I think scent control products reduce your smell therefore making the intensity less and travel a shorter distance before becoming diluted I hate to admit it but I have inherited that "old man smell" from my Dad and Grandpa.  When I use scent "eliminating" products, even after a long day of hiking my wife notices a huge difference in the amount of old man funk.  In fact, sometimes she does not smell it at all.  I know an animal has much better sniffer but it does pass the old lady test and that's proof enough for me.   :chuckle:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:30:31 PM by PolarBear »
P&Y bucks & bulls, predators and any game fish that swims!!
Life is too short to settle for dinks!

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
 :yeah: I understand that you can't eliminate but it might make the deer less alarmed by the human scent if it isn't so strong.
- Jeremy

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

-Psalm 23:4

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
The deer and elk are already on alarm with the wolves, cougar, and bears around

* Recent Topics

Upland hunting in the rain by Dhoey07
[Today at 01:15:15 PM]

Is it too late in the season? by tlbradford
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Montana Bound - Archery Mule Deer & Antelope by jkthomps
[Today at 01:10:17 PM]

Bang Flop !!! by Biggerhammer
[Today at 01:02:24 PM]

Son's first buck and unique shooting style by tlbradford
[Today at 12:53:57 PM]

Elkfever's Peaches Ridge Hunt by slowhand
[Today at 12:49:59 PM]

2017 Deer, post them here (photos & stats) by Humptulips
[Today at 12:45:15 PM]

Opening day luck? by Stein
[Today at 12:42:39 PM]

Popular place by wlandrum
[Today at 12:40:40 PM]

WTS- S&W 629 Classic 5" barrel by BeWitty
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Blacktail Rut? by JDHasty
[Today at 12:35:41 PM]

Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll) by slowhand
[Today at 12:31:13 PM]

Great Idaho Bucks by Triplej
[Today at 12:24:37 PM]

Modern firearm garbage bag challenge! by Don_D
[Today at 12:03:48 PM]

Last day muzzy spike by Don_D
[Today at 12:01:30 PM]

Lab Breeder Recommendations by WRL
[Today at 12:00:55 PM]

Drew Skagit Bull Elk by Don_D
[Today at 11:53:32 AM]

Westside Bull Down!! by Don_D
[Today at 11:51:01 AM]

Rtspring and "E" have done it again! Buck down!!! Pics and story added.. by Widgeondeke
[Today at 11:49:47 AM]

Trapping Oppurtunity, Purdy Gig Harbor area. by krapmit
[Today at 11:49:20 AM]